Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:48 AM

12 posts, read 19,046 times

Advertisements

One of the most shocking parts of being in the staffing business is the large number of college educated job applicants who have not spent a minute in a classroom since college. I am talking about people who graduated 10-20-30 years ago. They obviously don't have much respect for formal education because they have not gone to any seminars, workshops, adult education classes, certificate programs or even attended anything online since they graduated in 1989.

How about you? How important is life long learning too you? What types of training have you attended and how valuable has it been to you and your career?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 06:57 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
I have been to so many seminars I don't even keep track of them anymore, nor would I expect someone to list them on a CV or application.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
I'm an engineer....I'm in some sort of training all the time. I just wrapped up a CNC programming course a few weeks ago.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:27 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Recruiter View Post
One of the most shocking parts of being in the staffing business is the large number of college educated job applicants who have not spent a minute in a classroom since college. I am talking about people who graduated 10-20-30 years ago. They obviously don't have much respect for formal education because they have not gone to any seminars, workshops, adult education classes, certificate programs or even attended anything online since they graduated in 1989.

How about you? How important is life long learning too you? What types of training have you attended and how valuable has it been to you and your career?
Life-long learning is very important to me. I am 28 years old and working on my 7th collegiate degree and also working on my third professional certificate. And no, I'm not even in the programming/computer science field

Old 07-09-2013, 07:50 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,836 times
I obtained a CPA license, my CFE designation, and am working on an ARM (risk management designation) as well as a CPCU designation because my work has mainly been with the insurance industry.

My life is devoted to study...it's a lifelong pursuit for me, and aside from hiking, walking, and biking it is one of the only things that makes me truly happy. I could spend my life in college/graduate school if it were feasible.

I will say that studying for the CPA exams was pretty high pressure and it made my life hell for a while, so I am working on certifications that are not nearly as intensive. The stress of it drove a wedge between me and my ex that really kind of warped my sense of reality for a while, and it resulted in me ruining a relationship. So it's not always candy and roses - there is definitely a cost.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,859,955 times
Agree with all of the above. I feel that there is always room for improvement and to better oneself. I cannot stand being stagnant and just 'content' with things since there is so much else out there to learn.

I've taken a few post-bac classes, several MOOCs, in addition to countless upon countless certification courses directly work-related (requirement of the job).

Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Recruiter View Post
One of the most shocking parts of being in the staffing business is the large number of college educated job applicants who have not spent a minute in a classroom since college.
Realize you are most likely viewing a skewed subset of the American professional workforce - those who are in need of a job or a new job. You probably aren't coming into contact with those who aren't seeking a job - many of whom don't have additional training.

There are millions of people who haven't needed to attend additional post bachelor's training. They are productive, progressing, and successful. It all depends.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,566 times
It's a waste of time and money unless you're still trying to fill a resume. I work in IT-energy trading/investment banking and I do not have any certification at all. Reputation is my certification essentially... not that its perfect but *I deliver results*

I think youre only bringing it up because it affects the job placements role

Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
It's a waste of time and money unless you're still trying to fill a resume. I work in IT-energy trading/investment banking and I do not have any certification at all. Reputation is my certification essentially... not that its perfect but *I deliver results*

I think youre only bringing it up because it affects the job placements role
Your view is based on your selected profession. Even so, I am sure there are those within your own niche that value the pursuit of life-long education.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 AM

769 posts, read 976,669 times
I am working on two certificaitons that I need for my job right now. Comptia Security+ and Server+. It is a pain studying and working full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment