Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,247,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You mean the value they add to their own system.
There is only one system. The average american wouldn't be able to have a mortgage, or buy a car, or save enough for retirement without wall street. We rely on that system for every modern luxury we enjoy today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,825,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
There is only one system. ... We rely on that system for every modern luxury we enjoy today.
It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:13 PM

134 posts, read 276,980 times
Underpaid:
Hollywood crew
Any white collared worker not in management
Salesmen
Secretaries and other administrators
Me

Overpaid:
Hollywood Actors
Professional athletes
Hollywood and Sports agents
CEOs
Prisoners
Politicians
Partners in large firms
Kanye West
Useless socialites

Old 06-28-2013, 02:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,282,835 times
You should be paid according to your benefit to society? That is just wacky.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:38 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,518,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I don't consider pharmacists overpaid. They are not getting paid for what they do. They are getting paid for what they did during school. Working hard to get into a pharmacy school and working their way through that.

I consider your prior sacrifices part of the equation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Pharmacy school is expensive, difficult, and takes longer than getting a bachelor's degree.
Pharmacists are overpaid.

Plenty of people work really hard in challenging majors for many years, and rack up huge student loan debt. Those are not reasons for pharmacists to get paid 150K (which is typical, in my area). I can see no justification for that kind of salary to dispense pills, ointments, and syrups.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:55 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,526,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
CNA's start at around $14 here at my place.
They make about $8-11 where I live.

EMTs and paramedics are underpaid. Correctional/detention officers in Texas are underpaid. Where I live, I think public school teachers receive about the right amount. They start out at about $42-45k for 10 months worth of work and get stipends for advanced degrees. Private school teachers are often underpaid. I do think pharmacists are overpaid, but it's supply and demand. Pharmacists are offered a lot of money in The Valley of Texas because there is a severe shortage down there. U.S. senators and representatives are overpaid. Judges are often underpaid in comparison to U.S. senators and representatives.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:58 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,383,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
CNA's start at around $14 here at my place.
I think it's the state you live in. Nurses(RN) in Texas have salaries at $25-35 and hour. Nurses in CA make quite a bit more. CNAs here make about $9-11 bucks an hour.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 PM

989 posts, read 1,884,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Pharmacists are overpaid.

Plenty of people work really hard in challenging majors for many years, and rack up huge student loan debt. Those are not reasons for pharmacists to get paid 150K (which is typical, in my area). I can see no justification for that kind of salary to dispense pills, ointments, and syrups.

You obviously have no clue what kind of education,training and certification is required to become a pharmacist. Try doing some research and learning something before just spewing such ignorant nonsense. Seriously, you're obviously just talking out of your you know what. You're way off!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,263,473 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know about athletes, but if you're talking about execs, the executive team includes anyone who's a VP or up, so that includes Finance controllers, CIO, CEO, VPS of all levels. When you look at that bunch as a whole, the primary quality they share in common is their schmoozing and buddy-system skills. I mean, yeah, sometimes some of them started out as engineers and worked their way up, but by the time they are at the exec level, it's all about the ability to talk and be convincing, whether they are right or wrong.

You can tell I don't have much respect for the exec team as a whole, and that comes from my direct exposure to those groups from my work in different environments here in Silicon Valley. I see time and again, the exec team doing what they can to ensure their own personal monetary success at the expense of the employees.
And the primary quality teachers share in common is raping students. Yet they're considered paid just about right. Go figure.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,247,109 times
Quote:
It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.
So how are you able to buy a home or retire without that system? Maybe you can help me understand this a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment