Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 12:24 AM

550 posts, read 986,318 times

Advertisements

One of my co workers told my boss that I take too long in the bathroom and take breaks by the vending machine every so often. She also follows me around picking at my work. I guess she thinks she can because she's been there longer. Well, my coworker also takes breaks by the vending machine( that's how she sees me). Sometimes she takes unauthorized smoke breaks, and takes long lunch breaks causing me to go to lunch late. I've started going earlier, so that I don't have to go too late. My coworker will leave her department and go to another department and gossip with another co worker. This other co worker always gives me dirty looks and always snide towards me even though I'm friendly. Do I tell my boss about all the things she's doing instead of working? I get my work done, so I don't understand why some people are a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 12:32 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,023,852 times
What was your boss's response to what your coworker said?

I can't stand people like that, she needs to really mind her own business. Me personally I'd go talk to her one on one and say that she needs to mind her own business and not time you everytime you use the bathroom or you'll start timing her everytime she goes off to gossip at another department...

Seriously when I started drinking more water the first week I was going to the bathroom like 6 times a freaking day! If someone was timing me, that'd bother me immensely... If she's not my supervisor it's not her business.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:52 AM

1,720 posts, read 2,748,063 times
It sounds like she needs to focus more on her work, and less on what other people are doing. She sounds like the type of employee who is all talk and no action. If the other employees are giving you dirty looks or are keeping away from you, it sounds like this other person must be "popular" at the office and her attitude has swayed the actions of others so that they can remain on her good side. No different than High School really.

First and foremost, I am sorry that this is happening to you. In all honesty, this coworker sounds like a loser since her behavior is infantile at best. Personally I would not bring it up with the supervisor. This will only give the impression that you are not fitting in with the office culture and there must be something wrong with you. I would come in everyday and do the best job that you can do. If you find that things are getting worst around the office I would seriously consider looking for other opportunities. Your supervisor will probably not be able to help you with this situation even if you complain to him or her.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,364,479 times
Document the times you go to the vending machine and the bathroom and how long it takes. When the boss asks you about taking so long give him the documentation and see what he says.

Anything past that you are not paying much attention to your work like you are being paid to do since you know how much time she spends at the vending machine, in the bathroom and taking unauthorized smoke breaks.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:49 PM

111 posts, read 224,034 times
Don't do anything until your boss brings it up. If your boss doesn't bring it up, assume the boss told her that she's not concerned how often you go to the bathroom as long as you are getting your work done. Now, if you aren't getting your work done, expect the boss to bring this up in the context of your time away from your desk interfering with your ability to do work.

Don't retaliate by telling your boss about all the times your coworker leaves to go talk to people or hang out in the break room, although it's fair to bring it up in the context of her being late to relieve you for lunch.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:51 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,409,532 times
I was reading this thread and I can't get past how in the world the boss would even start the conversation about time spent in the bathroom...

Old 06-02-2013, 07:12 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,334,451 times
work policemen or company men who are always looking over the shoulders of everyone and making sure they are working to their level are annoying as heck.... worked with one for 2 years. Always looking around making comments on how others are doing their jobs. I don't care, so shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment