Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 04:53 AM

257 posts, read 609,296 times

Advertisements

I used to be a fitness instructor and I can honestly say I loved that job. But then I moved to the Midwest and the crowds were very different in enthusiasm and fitness/skill level from the west coast, and the pay was terrible even if you include the cost of living difference, and my enjoyment went downhill.

A career counselor told me that you have to look at not only what you do but where do you it/what company. She was surprised I did not like engineering given my personality and that perhaps if I had worked for a small startup versus a large corporation, it would probably have been better. I am guessing it probably also depends on your manager and co-workers, too, that's a big reason I didn't like my last job.

I am actually considering contract-based work. It's not as steady, but you work for many different companies and people and if any of them are a fail, you just move on to the next. If any are good, you could possibly work for them again in the future. Also considering starting my own business, for some of those same reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment