Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,138,075 times

Advertisements

1. Make some changes. (At your work)

2. I work to live, not live to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,857,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
As a taxpayer, I would appreciate it if you blew the whistle on whatever illegal practices are occurring at your workplace. Thanks.

I plan to, but that means leaving the job.

This is a very insular work community with families that have known one another for generations. The average age in my workplace is 50 and the average length of time employed here (in this specific location) is 14 years. There are a lot of things going on that do not bear up to scrutiny-- unethical and downright illegal.

If I blow the whistle while I am still here, I fully expect career-ruining reprisal. But I can't just stand around and watch this. That's why I am getting out. I plan to file a fraud waste and abuse complaint as soon as I am safely ensconced in a different job. I have been documenting several instances carefully that I fully intend to report. I am a tax payer too.

To respond to another poster: Right now, there are not a ton of federal jobs open. Many agencies are limiting hiring due to budget sequestration and massive furloughs. The jobs I have seen are typically in and around DC. I have applied several other places, but the only "bites" I have gotten have been in the DC metro area.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
With the high supervisor turnover rate, I would say that there is plenty of room to move. Why don't you apply for the position when it comes open again? Maybe then you can institute the change that you see your department needs. I also echo the thoughts here -- if you love your non-work life and your work supports that life, then it's not all that bad.
Every time the position becomes open, it is clear that the leadership has pre-selected a candidate. The jobs are not announced as they are required to be and someone is just moved into the role-- typically a friend of the person who is in charge. When they get burnt out or a better offer in a different division a new person moves in. This is illegal in federal hiring and yet it is happening right here.

Believe me, this place has some serious issues.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM

926 posts, read 1,258,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Every time the position becomes open, it is clear that the leadership has pre-selected a candidate. The jobs are not announced as they are required to be and someone is just moved into the role-- typically a friend of the person who is in charge. When they get burnt out or a better offer in a different division a new person moves in. This is illegal in federal hiring and yet it is happening right here.

Believe me, this place has some serious issues.

This illegal hiring practice is happening in alot of federal agencies; along with the fraud, astronomical waste, and abuse of authority. Part of the problem is there are no checks and balances. Supervisors/Directors are involved, don't care, and cover for each other. What do you do? Who do you tell? Report it to your congressional office? Right. The congressional office will send an inquiry to the agency and the agency Director will lie, be very vague, or do whatever is necessary to stop any investigation. Good luck with that. In the midst of all this dysfunction be happy you're not being personally harrassed like so many other federal employees.

As far as choosing lifestyle over money. I'd choose lifestyle/New Orleans. (especially since I know what federal life is like in MD/DC/VA)

Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,789,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
This illegal hiring practice is happening in alot of federal agencies; along with the fraud, astronomical waste, and abuse of authority. Part of the problem is there are no checks and balances. Supervisors/Directors are involved, don't care, and cover for each other. What do you do? Who do you tell? Report it to your congressional office? Right. The congressional office will send an inquiry to the agency and the agency Director will lie, be very vague, or do whatever is necessary to stop any investigation. Good luck with that. In the midst of all this dysfunction be happy you're not being personally harrassed like so many other federal employees.

As far as choosing lifestyle over money. I'd choose lifestyle/New Orleans. (especially since I know what federal life is like in MD/DC/VA)
I concur with Redd. Lay low an do what you need to do until your opportunity comes up to move on. People who haven't worked for the Feds have no idea.

I quit my job because I was being blackballed by my supervisor and a director. These people had the ability to ruin my reputation of 15 years of exceptional work references. It could of been all gone with a stroke of their pen. It was coming to the point where I was more worried about my health than my job. I now carry "my papers" with me into interviews to document my history vs. their word. I feel like an ex-con sometimes. FML.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,594,487 times
+ maxiale02

Been there, done that.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 AM

373 posts, read 644,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Dude...you're getting paid high-level wages to do low-level clerical tasks.

Do you realize how good you have it?
work to live. Count down the hours you have to put in for the paycheck, until you can go home and enjoy life.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:03 PM

18 posts, read 43,244 times
Working for the federal government does it bother you to have the government as your employer breathing down your neck? Do you think life would be easier in the dreaded private sector?

Not knowing what position you hold I'd suggest you rethink what you want out of life and not allowing the amount of salary to dictate your choices otherwise you will live in misery your whole life. One thing, if you turn to drink because of choices you've made, you will be able to afford top shelf.

lottsa luck

Old 05-23-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoaterinSoCal View Post
Working for the federal government does it bother you to have the government as your employer breathing down your neck? Do you think life would be easier in the dreaded private sector?

Not knowing what position you hold I'd suggest you rethink what you want out of life and not allowing the amount of salary to dictate your choices otherwise you will live in misery your whole life. One thing, if you turn to drink because of choices you've made, you will be able to afford top shelf.

lottsa luck

I did work with the private sector, and found my way into federal employment after I got my JD. It is not a path I ever envisioned, but it was a very nice change of pace at first. I have had several rewarding federal jobs with a select few agencies, all within the DC area. I moved to New Orleans to TRY and change my lifestyle a bit but essentially jumped out of the frying pan into the fire as the org I find myself in is the most corrupt and dysfunctional one that I have experienced, public or private sector. I would not necessarily dismiss the private sector, but as mentioned the private sector in New Orleans does not hold the same opportunities as in some other markets.

I have had very little to complain about career-wise until this last position, when I moved specifically to "work to live." I have found that worry about work does not dissapear when I try and relax in my beautiful adopted city as some of the things that are going on there are so egregious they really rob me of my peace of mind.

I have always supported myself. Salary is not the most important thing, but I do need a certain level of income to live. I care about what I do. I can't just see a job as a mantle you drop as soon as the whistle blows. Its not in my nature. Believe me, I wouldn't be posting on here about this issue were it not so bad and I so desperate, that no other solution save relocating on my own dime seems to fix it. Some of the PPs who have (sadly) worked in this type of environment seem to understand.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,577,329 times
You're only as trapped in work and life as you perceive yourself to be.

If you love NO, change jobs to something there that you will love.

Live on less money if that's what it takes.

It's so simple, really. Just choose to do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment