Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 AM

349 posts, read 274,801 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I am starting a new, small business, but find the common employment process to be a complete waste of time.
Why would I base my entire decision on an interview in which none of the traits an employee needs is on display and where most "interview advice" articles encourage employees to lie about their accomplishments, claiming that it is "good marketing" and "expected" to lie.

It feels like that type of process would hold very little predictive value to good employees.

So I am planning on designing my own process to application, but upon attempting to create some assignments for my prospects to complete, I thought to myself, "What qualities would the ideal employee have?"

And I could not give myself a full answer, so I am wondering what others here think of that question?

Also, what are some ways I could attempt to test my prospect as to their proficiency in said skills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:34 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,104,198 times
A person's work habits and abilities are far too complicated to accurately assess in an interview. You are absolutely correct.

The problem is that aptitude tests are similarly limited. You can test for some technical skills, background knowledge and problem solving, but even that is not a sufficient predictor of future performance, which is what you are really trying to get at.

The most important thing for me when hiring is a good reference check. If they have been a good employee in the pat, they will most likely be a good employee in the future.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:03 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,975,548 times
I would implement a performance-based interview. I'd see if they could actually perform the job, if they were willing to learn, ask for help when needed, pleasant to work with, things like that.

I'm amazed at how many employers don't question things resumes include. If you say you created a training program on your resume, I'd ask you to describe it and the outcome. If you say you're a supervisor, I'd ask how many people you supervised, what their job titles were, etc.

Oh, and I ask questions, like "Now that I've told you about the position, do you think you would be able to do it? Why?" You would be surprised at what people will tell you if you ask them straightforward questions.

As for skills: in addition to being able to perform the job, I think flexibility and decisiveness are important.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:09 PM

24 posts, read 74,930 times
Why not just do what most interviewers do? And that is just make a decision about whether to hire them within the first 30 seconds of seeing them based on whether you like his tie, race, appearance, and whether his handshake is good?

Old 05-18-2013, 02:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,788 posts, read 81,756,982 times
A good interview and short work sample project tells you plenty, but it takes a lot of practice to be able to judge work ethic, and even after hundreds of hires you still get burned once in a while. I have found that the most common problem is when they exaggerate or flat out lie about their proficiency at using software. When I had a graphics related business I would give them a scanned/traced image vector file and ask them to clean it up, and could see in a minute or two if they could really do it. In my current position I will have them do a 15 minute exercise in what they will be doing, depending on the position. While we rarely require overtime, watching their face in reaction to a question about staying late if there is a critical deadline
can help. They almost always are very agreeable to it but often their body language gives away the truth. I may also ask them to define work ethic, and see if they use themself as an example.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:15 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,318,015 times
Resumes and applications are a load of bull. Anyone who has worked in business knows this. Check and learn to detect real world skills. Did the applicant show up on time for their interview? Did they have a confident handshake? How persuasive was their eye contact with you? Did they constantly dart their eyes around when you inquired about their experience? Anyone can make up exaggerated stories on paper. Put them in the hot seat and see if they squirm.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:35 PM

24 posts, read 74,930 times
It's much easier and simpler to just make a quick decision immediately after you see them in person. Decide within a few seconds, then spend the rest of the interview either...

1. If you accept them, explain the job and start building good report.

2. If you reject them, just play around and have fun (of course don't lead them to believe they are rejected).

If I were an interviewer at a company I'd just base my decision mostly on how good looking the person is and how well dressed he/she is. It's must simpler and quicker than asking a bunch of questions, writing down the answers, and carefully analyzing them.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:12 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,775,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaChoda7891 View Post
Why not just do what most interviewers do? And that is just make a decision about whether to hire them within the first 30 seconds of seeing them based on whether you like his tie, race, appearance, and whether his handshake is good?
Ding! Ding! Ding! And we have a winner!!!

Old 05-18-2013, 06:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,623,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Ding! Ding! Ding! And we have a winner!!!
People are always biased in one way or another. I don't doubt there are people like that but the vast majority are good people who try to find the best qualified candidates so that they can run a business.

If you think have always been rejected due to your race or your look etc., then you are wrong. It may happen but certainly not that often in this country. Again, employers just want good employees to run their business.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:42 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweramplifyingionairline View Post
Hello.

I am starting a new, small business, but find the common employment process to be a complete waste of time.
Why would I base my entire decision on an interview in which none of the traits an employee needs is on display and where most "interview advice" articles encourage employees to lie about their accomplishments, claiming that it is "good marketing" and "expected" to lie.

It feels like that type of process would hold very little predictive value to good employees.

So I am planning on designing my own process to application, but upon attempting to create some assignments for my prospects to complete, I thought to myself, "What qualities would the ideal employee have?"

And I could not give myself a full answer, so I am wondering what others here think of that question?

Also, what are some ways I could attempt to test my prospect as to their proficiency in said skills?
No offense but you better be paying GOOD money for a person to go through all that. If you are paying minimum wage or even a few dollars above that, then go the old fashioned route. I guarantee the people who DO these "assignments" are the type who won't stick around long because they'll move on to better jobs with more established companies that pay well and offer more. And TBH I've come to a point in my life where if I feel a job is asking me for ridiculous tasks before I even START the job, I don't even bother any longer, it's a waste of my time and yours if I don't get the job. Like the time I applied for a job and they had me FLY OUT ON MY OWN DIME, two times, only to be told I didn't get the job. I learned a lesson from that, and then on, any jobs that required me to fly out and take tests, I didn't go to. If it wasn't an interview it didn't matter. I might not be an amazing test taker but I am a really good and hard working employee. Tests show nothing IMO. Specially when 99% of the time they are so random you never know what they are going to ask. I went to another test in a county close by (only reason I went) and the test was SO RANDOM. Asking things like basic ocmputer questions all the way to customer service to how to figure out where a witness to a crime was standing when the crime was committed! I was like OMG is this for reals?!

The old fashioned way is best, you can always assess how long it takes to learn the job skills, and then give a probation, if at the end of the probation they aren't doing well, then you let them go and look for a new person. BUT overall it's not that hard to spot someone in an interview process that won't be a good employee or get along with others. Specially if they start giving attitude in the interview! I used to interview people and I would see this!

You want to give some sort of "assignment" then in the job announcement ask for a cover letter, anything without a cover letter chuck because that means they don't follow directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment