Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 PM

67 posts, read 140,559 times

Advertisements

I do a LOT of work. I have this one project (around consulting) which I have been doing for the past year, about 6 months before my manager was my manager.

People often commended me (and still do) on my efforts with my project/s. They are surprised that I do it all by myself so well, because it is a great deal of work. Every month I get commended on the work that I do. With this project, I changed it to more suit my past managers taste. Basically, a compromise between my taste and my past manager's taste. Now, I am changing it to suit my current managers taste.

However, it's a little hard because my manager is implying that what I am doing isn't good enough, despite me getting great feedback. She is often in obvious disbelief when I do get such great feedback.

It feels sort of confusing, particularly because my managers superior only recently mentioned what I was doing was great.

Only a few days ago, my manager told me that she asked someone to help me out with my work. I need to get approval for all the work that I do, even if it's something really small.

It's OK - I don't mind getting bad / negative feedback, but I think something is wrong when the only feedback that I get about my work on this project is negative and I can't make things to suit my own style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbutterfly View Post

It's OK - I don't mind getting bad / negative feedback, but I think something is wrong when the only feedback that I get about my work on this project is negative and I can't make things to suit my own style.
Ummm...so, wait, you are having problems at work because you are not able to do things all your own way?

Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 PM

67 posts, read 140,559 times
I hope not!

I am not getting things my own way, I compromise. Just feeling a little bit substandard like I am never doing good enough even though I am trying my hardest and working to my capacity :/

I guess that will pass though, I guess that comes with being somewhat young

Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 AM

300 posts, read 1,136,726 times
Sometimes managers just want to sabotage your work whether it be because they are jealous of you or some other lame reason. Don't let it get to you; try to sit down and have a talk with her and if you feel that her demands are unreasonable than go up to HR; DON'T WAIT. It's sad how this world works but always look after yourself. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 AM

856 posts, read 1,051,896 times
Default Uh, If I Might, Q...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post

Sometimes managers just want to sabotage your work whether it be because they are jealous of you or some other lame reason.

... if you feel that her demands are unreasonable than go up to HR; DON'T WAIT.

....but always look after yourself....
FreeSpiritButterfly, this is for you:

"...than go up to HR..."

If there even is an HR department. Being run competently.

With employees' best interest as a priority.

STOP! DO NOT PASS GO!
You cannot afford to assume this will be true.

Uh, excuse me for living but since when have smaller company HR departments been known to side with the company employees??

The HR Mgr probably plays golf with your manager.

Now what are you going to do?

Rush off to HR?

I hope not. 'Going to HR' may enlarge this into something unmanageable so think this out.

This is not a cut and dried situation where HR is not only guaranteed to solve your problems but also, keep things chill between you and your manager throughout and after the process of reconciliation.

Do you trust your HR Manager to handle this with the tact required in situations such as this?

With whom is s/he going to side when you tell your tale of woe?

And how will it get resolved? What [to the best of your knowledge] are HR's choices? Is it a fool-proof plan?

...and have you seen HR solve similar challenges in a 'win-win' manner amongst the employees and managers?

Your comfort (and your job) is on the line here so before you rush off to spill, think out what your resources really are and then from that what considered steps you might take:

1. That 'boss of your boss' who you say likes you. (....these positioned individuals are more commonly known as your *'rabbi' or *'godfather')

You could brush a very shallow version of this past her/him in a 'test conversation' and see how it flies. Does that person raise their eyebrows in amusement, concern or whatever and do they stay on this or do they brush you off?

Now you know if you have an ally or if you are still alone on this.

So consider the possibility and the safety of speaking with that person as a possible first person with whom you might share this before turning this over to HR and trusting them to handle this for you.

Look around and see if there is anyone else you feel you could get to intervene for you. I say this just to cover all the angles.

(Now, at this point someone here may post their concern I am promoting politics and Machiavellian behavior.

Okay. Remember what Quitters_Win said: "....but always look after yourself...."

Well, s/he is correct, Free, you do need to watch out for yourself FIRST.

Now, the other thought I have is that what Quitters_Win said may be the heart of the problem:

I am under the impression 'something happened' to cause you to have to seek out approvals where this was not required previously.

Something happened, something changed, something was said.

Change does not happen all by itself- usually there are a chain of events.

I'm even betting you have left out something relevant to that.

It would be helpful to know what caused this change in procedure before rushing off to broadcast the problems you are experiencing.

I prefer to solve the cause vs. reacting to the signs and symptoms.

We need to know 'what happened' so this forum can give you a more considered and appropriate response.

Like I said- I think something has been left out of this equation.

There are other, more long-term possible solutions, one being a transfer to another department. In fact, it sounds as though you ought to be schmoozing a couple of other managers in case you need to jump ship.

You will have somewhere to jump to.

And, if it is your boss who is the problem, then as has been said elsewhere here before, this person may implode, explode and/or get promoted down the road so biding your time may be a viable option.

It just depends and since we're missing something here I can't do much without knowing more.

Fill in the blanks, Free, so someone here can make the most accurate suggestions possible.

Paul

* I point out all the time the necessity of, when hired, developing a relationship with a senior person who becomes someone who may either watch out for you and see to it you are promoted into sound surroundings on a timely basis or may be the person to whom you need to speak when your manager won't promote you since you are doing such a good job of making that manager look good/your presence keeps things running smoothly and your manager does not want to throw a wrench into it by promoting you out of their control; they can step in and get you bumped or transferred, depending on the situation.

FORUM:

Yes, another lengthy post. (It would not surprise me if 'everything changes next week' and Free's life goes back to normal. Such is Life.)

The reason for lengthy posts is because I'm not only talking to Free, I'm also talking to those 15,000 virtual listeners out there in the Peanut Gallery.

Some of them are having a version of this experience so I use these posts as Classes so we get the most benefit from each situation; turning them into learning lessons.

So for those who fall asleep while reading -that's okay- these posts are for the people actually living these situations, not everyone else.

Anyway,

Paul

Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
^ Interesting read. I'd have to agree with the part about HR; depending on the type and size of the company, HR can either act as an objective buffer or they can be 100% in Management's pocket, and so going to them expecting that the matter will be resolved with a win-win for all is highly unlikely. I work for a small,private company and the latter is very much the situation, my HR manager is the LAST person I would go to.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Ask your manager exactly why they think there is an issue.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
are you getting actual specific negative feedback, or are you just hearing "not good enough"?

if she's not giving specifics, i would ask her for them. frame it in such a way that you're asking for honest feedback, not trying to dispute her evaluation.

maybe say something like: "i've been getting the impression that you are not happy with my work. can we set up a quick meeting sometime soon to talk about what has been going wrong, and what i can do to improve?"

then if what she says is reasonable (even if it's not exactly what you would do), act on it. if it's not, then it might be time to go over her head, but you do have to be VERY CAREFUL about doing that. it can backfire big time.

the key here is that you HAVE to be totally openminded and able to accept criticism. if it's valid, even if you don't like the boss (someone who reacts in disbelief to your positive feedback from others does sound like a total jerk), you have to take it to heart. if it seems invalid to you, give yourself some time to think about it, maybe ask friends or the forum for advice, and think long and hard if it's worth it before you try to dispute it.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbutterfly View Post
I do a LOT of work. I have this one project (around consulting) which I have been doing for the past year, about 6 months before my manager was my manager.

People often commended me (and still do) on my efforts with my project/s. They are surprised that I do it all by myself so well, because it is a great deal of work. Every month I get commended on the work that I do. With this project, I changed it to more suit my past managers taste. Basically, a compromise between my taste and my past manager's taste. Now, I am changing it to suit my current managers taste.

However, it's a little hard because my manager is implying that what I am doing isn't good enough, despite me getting great feedback. She is often in obvious disbelief when I do get such great feedback.

It feels sort of confusing, particularly because my managers superior only recently mentioned what I was doing was great.

Only a few days ago, my manager told me that she asked someone to help me out with my work. I need to get approval for all the work that I do, even if it's something really small.

Interesting.

One, it sounds like you may have been overly congratulated in the past for the simple ability to do the job. And your current manager probably can't figure out why everyone is heaping praise on your ability to do the job that you were hired for, it should be a given.

People who heap praise like that on the basics are usually people who are used to seeing slackers do a half assed job. You're not one of those it seems.

Your new manager wants things done their way. You say you are now doing things their way. Good.

They sent you some help. You said you were a little overworked so why help is bad I'm not sure, unless you were complaining about it, and maybe now the manager thinks you CAN'T handle the job. Which might be true if you now have to get permission for everything.

You may have said something to someone about working hard and then as this was passed around the grapevine it got around to the boss that you can't handle it.

Better figure out how to fix this, or you'll be looking for a new place to work.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
^ Interesting read. I'd have to agree with the part about HR; depending on the type and size of the company, HR can either act as an objective buffer or they can be 100% in Management's pocket, and so going to them expecting that the matter will be resolved with a win-win for all is highly unlikely. I work for a small,private company and the latter is very much the situation, my HR manager is the LAST person I would go to.
HR exists to keep the organization from getting sued, period. They are there to represent the employers' interest not the employees' interest. The only time they will side with an employee is if a manager is doing something blatantly illegal that could cost the organization huge amounts of money in a lawsuit. In this case, its more likely that HR would decide the OP is a lawsuit waiting to happen if she went and complained about an evaluation.

OP: have you considered that maybe you really are average? Maybe the average is for everyone to do a lot of work. I don't know how old you are, but my awful generation (millennials) have been told their entire lives how special they are (we aren't) and how everything they do is deserving of a trophy or award (it's not). Even if you truly believe you are an above average worker, your only real recourse is to change jobs. Trying to force evaluation adjustments is not going to endear you to your manager or the organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment