Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,323,571 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have been really successful in my job from the year I have been here. Got a great 12% raise, have gotten continous praise from the highest of highest ups. Everything is going fantastic.

One thing though. My workload has become unblanaced and too much. Let me explain. Since I have been working here I have been in three departments and this is all in a period of one year.

First 5 months, I worked for the company's Organizational Development department. Then they moved me to Internal Communications for 5 months but I still kept my organizational development duties. Beginning of this month they moved me into the Marketing department where I sit now. With that being said I still have my organizational development duties, internal communications duties and now NEW marketing duties. Basically I am everywhere! I have moved from department to department, but my duties never change, just get added on to.

I was feeling fully loaded last month but able to handle it. But now in my first month in marketing they have given me a lot more duties and and have great plans in the direction they want me to go. One problem is though, I just don't have the time to keep up with my older department's duties. I literally just don't have the time, specifically the organizational development duties.

I am having a meeting with the VP of Marketing next week and thought I would bring it up to her. Cause to be honest she needs me to be on full time marketing (Marketing department is running super lean!). I am also going to lunch with the Global President next week as well to discuss my "future" with the company. He wants me to lead the creative communications globally at some point.

So my thing is how do I approach this issue and how do I go about voicing my concerns? It really boils down to that I have become too unfocused in the scope of work and that there simply is not enough time for me to work on it all. I am already seeing that the organizational developemt work is being neglected because marketing work cannot fall behind. I know they are doing everything to keep me happy, so I am sure things will work out, but how should I approach it to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,152,280 times
You and your boss need to sit down and agree to what your job role and priorities should be so you are not inappropriately spending time and effort in areas your boss doesn't place a big value in.
If some responsibilities are temporary, define what temporary means including duration.

Last edited by jaypee; 04-24-2013 at 12:05 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,940,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Ok, so I have been really successful in my job from the year I have been here. Got a great 12% raise, have gotten continous praise from the highest of highest ups. Everything is going fantastic.

One thing though. My workload has become unblanaced and too much. Let me explain. Since I have been working here I have been in three departments and this is all in a period of one year.

First 5 months, I worked for the company's Organizational Development department. Then they moved me to Internal Communications for 5 months but I still kept my organizational development duties. Beginning of this month they moved me into the Marketing department where I sit now. With that being said I still have my organizational development duties, internal communications duties and now NEW marketing duties. Basically I am everywhere! I have moved from department to department, but my duties never change, just get added on to.

I was feeling fully loaded last month but able to handle it. But now in my first month in marketing they have given me a lot more duties and and have great plans in the direction they want me to go. One problem is though, I just don't have the time to keep up with my older department's duties. I literally just don't have the time, specifically the organizational development duties.

I am having a meeting with the VP of Marketing next week and thought I would bring it up to her. Cause to be honest she needs me to be on full time marketing (Marketing department is running super lean!). I am also going to lunch with the Global President next week as well to discuss my "future" with the company. He wants me to lead the creative communications globally at some point.

So my thing is how do I approach this issue and how do I go about voicing my concerns? It really boils down to that I have become too unfocused in the scope of work and that there simply is not enough time for me to work on it all. I am already seeing that the organizational developemt work is being neglected because marketing work cannot fall behind. I know they are doing everything to keep me happy, so I am sure things will work out, but how should I approach it to them?
The key is to remain positive and not come off like you're whining. You have a very valid point - they have piled a lot of work on you because you could handle it, but it's time to speak up. Letting them know you appreciate the opportunities and that you are concerned about things slipping or not getting the attention they need are good points to make that show you are concerned, not complaining per se.

I would expect an employee with too much on his/her plate to work effectively to speak up, so it's quite appropriate. As a matter of fact, it's better that you do this now rather than wait until something does slip and it reflects badly on you.

Good Luck.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:03 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,713,367 times
You have to build the case that being given so many extra duties means none of them are likely to receive the attention and care they each deserve, and it's not to the benefit of the organization for this to continue. If you make it about you ( i.e I can't handle all this work) it's more likely to fall on deaf ears and it could come off as whining. As mentioned above, nip it in the butt now and you'll appear proactive instead of reactive if something goes wrong which could cast you in a negative light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment