Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 AM

400 posts, read 1,509,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Assuming the OP works 40 hrs a week......$28.40 extra ea week but when you take into consideration the withholding taxes etc.....How much is left?

If they say NO then the person is SOL for a JOB........something to consider.
saying no to the request and rescinding an offer are two totally different things.... its very unlikely that he'll/ she'll be SOL. disappointed that they wont raise the offer maybe but w/o the job more than likely not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
The time to discuss the pay was presented to you when they gave you a number and you said "yeah." Since you did not attempt to negotiate at that time, I would say that ship has sailed and you either take the offer or pass. You could bring it up if you wanted to but in my opinion that would reflect poorly since you were given a chance to bring it up. You had the perfect opportunity to point out how familiar you are with them, how well versed in the operations, etc. and for those reasons believe you are worth the 11 bucks an hour... when the pay was said in the phone call. Since you did not do that, I would let it go.

Last edited by cleasach; 04-21-2013 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Lol, typo

Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcap View Post
Thanks for the links, I will read them later when I have more time. And I like the idea of making up a competing offer, and the reasoning behind it makes sense. But what happens when they call my bluff? Then I don't even have the job anymore and would be wishing I took the $10.29....

Anyone else have an opinion on the competing offer idea?
I would not make up a competing offer.

I would simply ask them if they could increase the pay to $11/hr and then stay quiet and wait for them to answer.

BTW, even folks that don't have competing offers can and do negotiate higher salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment