Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 AM

48 posts, read 86,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What's a livable wage?
What are your skills?
What is your experience?
What is your education?
Livable wage for my area: around $40-50K.
Right now my skills are flute and saxophone (sight-reading, not so much improv), driving a bus, providing security, maintaining accountability for an arms room, animal husbandry (who needs a goat milked?) and writing. I am also an information addict, so I have studied many things on my own, but my favorite subjects are theology, biological sciences, music, and education.

My main work experience has been seven years as a soldier and musician in the army. I served as an NCO, but I don't really enjoy telling people what to do.

I have about 200 college credits in music, journalism, English, and art. I would really love to learn something more practical. I will need to complete my college via online learning, not only to maximize uncredited, but because I have an infant at home.

The reason I said, "Kill the Cubicle" is because I don't think I would be very effective at a desk job where I can't move around much. I enjoy things I can do with my hands (except for laundry!)

Given the grey and dismal way office life is portrayed, I would think that there are others out there who may have found more active and interesting employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 01:04 AM

48 posts, read 86,330 times
Yes, I love the idea of being a biologist or park ranger. When I was young, I wanted to be a dairy farmer, but knew that it requires a lot of capital just to set up. I think it would be great to work with or study animals. Thanks for the ideas.

One of the difficulties for me is finding something that will allow me to care for my children when they are not at school. That's what kept me out of retail or beauty school.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 AM

560 posts, read 1,550,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbunneh View Post
.....That's what kept me out of retail or beauty school....

Actually, I would not consider beauty school. You don't move around much, and if you move it is just around your small rented station/booth. I heard there is very high turnover. Both of my aunts left the beauty field after spending thousands in tuition. You may not have to sit inside a cubicle but you have to stand right next to another beautician. To me, the vibe in a beauty salon is just like sitting at a cubicle, except you will be standing up.

What I said above does not apply of course if you open your own shop right after you graduate from the school. Usually, you have to work for someone for years before going on your own, at which point you may have some control over your environment. The hair business is very big business and very lucrative however, the work environment is not pleasant for the reasons I mentioned above.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:33 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,643,984 times
The cubicle has already been killed in lots of office environments. It's all about "colloborative space" now. Meaning I have to look at these people I work with. Yeck.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,435,471 times
Quote:
Yes, I love the idea of being a biologist or park ranger. When I was young, I wanted to be a dairy farmer, but knew that it requires a lot of capital just to set up. I think it would be great to work with or study animals. Thanks for the ideas.

One of the difficulties for me is finding something that will allow me to care for my children when they are not at school. That's what kept me out of retail or beauty school.
Music skills correlate well with math skills, math skills are needed in great paying engineering jobs. You wont work in a cubicle and will be on job sites or plant sites, lots of these jobs in Texas....hard to find engineers who are use citizens and want this type work....its must be non PC or something given how well it pays and your critical math skills

Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,729,964 times
Quote:
Livable wage for my area: around $40-50K.
Right now my skills are flute and saxophone (sight-reading, not so much improv), driving a bus, providing security, maintaining accountability for an arms room, animal husbandry (who needs a goat milked?) and writing. I am also an information addict, so I have studied many things on my own, but my favorite subjects are theology, biological sciences, music, and education.

My main work experience has been seven years as a soldier and musician in the army. I served as an NCO, but I don't really enjoy telling people what to do.

I have about 200 college credits in music, journalism, English, and art. I would really love to learn something more practical. I will need to complete my college via online learning, not only to maximize uncredited, but because I have an infant at home.

The reason I said, "Kill the Cubicle" is because I don't think I would be very effective at a desk job where I can't move around much. I enjoy things I can do with my hands (except for laundry!)

Given the grey and dismal way office life is portrayed, I would think that there are others out there who may have found more active and interesting employment.
Why not be a music teacher?

Also, to the person that said engineers don't sit in a cubicle, that's not always the case. and if you do go and do field work, you end up sitting in a cubicle reporting your results.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,927,386 times
Urban farmer? There are many who make $25-50K+ a year on lawns they rent. This is one method used: SPIN-Farming :: Buy

Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM

41,999 posts, read 75,335,663 times
I'd kill for a cubicle. They do sop up the noise of co-workers' ceaseless chatter.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:23 PM

29,857 posts, read 24,978,977 times
I always thought you get the degree if you wanted a cubical job? Kinda why I dropped out. But I'm like you, I would be miserable if I was stuck in a cubical, or even an office environment all day. Talk about a lame work environment! Some trades are decent, and many companies prefer military vets. They seem to adjust very well to the work environment, their work ethic is usually good, and they don't mind doing crap work while they learn new skills. I've worked with quite a few vets who found success in my trade. Also worked with a lot of non vets who hate the fact that they actually have to work hard if they want a good wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment