Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 PM

26 posts, read 58,509 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking into a new career. I have a BS degree in Accounting. I am very detail oriented, logical, accurate, and analytical. I am looking into a Medical office/hospital (non-direct patient care) job in the medical field. Any suggestions on types of detail oriented positions within the medical field? and how did you get into that field/position? Is is easy to get in at entry-level? One position I have found an interest in is patient safety.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 PM

340 posts, read 914,058 times
Risk management might be right up your alley. The problem with getting in there is they typically want experience and if you don't know anyone it can be rather hard considering most hospital posting remain internal for quite some time.

A lot of this also depends on your salary requirements as well. The jobs available for 25k and 50k are very different, but if you're satisfied with a lower salary it opens up many doors, especially for an entry level position.

One field that will be quite booming in the near future is a patient navigator. Basically what they do is advise patients for medical care. e.g. PT goes to see a primary care physician, PT gets a referral to see a foot doctor. Your job would be to look for the best foot doctors in the area and to see that the PT follows through with recommendations.

It requires you to be a bit of a "people person" and from my vantage point doesn't offer any room for vertical movement (my opinion). But not everyone wants to move up... depends on your goals.

What else interests you? When I think of accounting I think of repetitive tasks. What else makes you, you?

edit: Also, are you willing to go back to school?

Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM

I am also interested in Cars, Traveling, Personal Finance. I am somewhat of an introvert, so I do not like a position with high phone call volume or anything in Sales. Also nothing super fast paced. I enjoy working by myself or as part of a team. I am also looking for a position in which I can advance. I like to help people when I can and I like to use my skills of attention to detail,problem solving, and possibly research and analysis. I like to work on repetitive tasks or face new challenges. I don't mind interacting with patients just not like an RN-cleaning people. I am willing to go back to school for certificates or possibly an AA degree. I have thought about the CPA exam but with limited experience in Accounting it does not help me.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions so far. It really helps.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:46 PM

Also I am interested in different kind of technician positions like for example EKG/Monitor Tech and I am open to suggestions on types of Medical Technicians.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 PM

340 posts, read 914,058 times
I would check out a different technician programs - radiology, ultrasound, medical, etc. You can find more information on those with a google search. It's not an area I'm too familiar with.

If you are looking for something high paying, but will need more education, look into biomedical engineering. Those guys make some damn good money... they make artificial limbs, organs, machinery, etc.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,622,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1008 View Post
Also I am interested in different kind of technician positions like for example EKG/Monitor Tech and I am open to suggestions on types of Medical Technicians.

But you don't want direct patient care...so why would these careers interest you?

I would try Risk Management or Health Care Administration (however, I believe you need a Master's degree for this).

Good Luck.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:57 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1008 View Post
I am also interested in Cars, Traveling, Personal Finance. I am somewhat of an introvert, so I do not like a position with high phone call volume or anything in Sales. Also nothing super fast paced. I enjoy working by myself or as part of a team. I am also looking for a position in which I can advance. I like to help people when I can and I like to use my skills of attention to detail,problem solving, and possibly research and analysis. I like to work on repetitive tasks or face new challenges. I don't mind interacting with patients just not like an RN-cleaning people. I am willing to go back to school for certificates or possibly an AA degree. I have thought about the CPA exam but with limited experience in Accounting it does not help me.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions so far. It really helps.
With everything you are listing, you might want to start by eliminating potential careers to narrow your search down.

If fast paced ain't your thing, I would avoid medical offices. They run a mile a minute. Some are also cutting staff short to hold on to any extra money. Expect Obamacare to add even more chaos into the mix.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:32 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
But you don't want direct patient care...so why would these careers interest you?

Good question. If the OP doesn't like fast-paced or patient care, I would avoid the medical field altogether. Most jobs in the medical field are fast-paced or involve patient care. I mean even a medical coding job would be fast paced because you have to have the bills done for insurance companies and all that. Or if you are a monitor tech, you may perform several EKGs a day working with patients who may not be feeling well, meaning they are cranky.

With what you listed as your interests, doing something in a factory might be worth checking out. You might look into robotics or something like that. Robotics techs make a lot of money.

Too many people are going into the medical field because they think it is an easy path to a good job and not because medicine is their passion.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,914 times
I've worked in healthcare for 20+ years.

There are plenty of opportunities for those with an accounting or finance background in healthcare corporate offices, hospitals and clinics, insurance companies, home health care and hospice, dialysis companies, drug companies, to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment