Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 AM

12,812 posts, read 15,098,918 times

Advertisements

This area was the closest I saw fit for this topic.

My friend's mother (who's not that old, in her 50s) had to stop working due to complications with MS (multiple sclerosis). She applied for disability a few months ago & is stil awaiting approval (or not). She walks with a cane & gets around in one of those motorized carts when she has to. I would think if anyone would get approved, she would!

Do you think she will get approved in her condition? Any other comments?

I sure hope so because she says if she's not, she'll have to ove out of the place she's renting now & I guess move in with one of her (adult) kids. The board seems to be taking forever processing her disability application/claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,937,963 times
Which is why I have my own personal disability insurance policy (through the IEEE). I signed up for it when I was in my 20s (I'm 51 now) so the premiums are still cheap ($150/year) covering 60% of my salary for any disability than prevents me from performing my existing normal job (sit on my butt engineer).

I would recommend everyone do this. Your employer may or may not provide this benefit and get it young while you're cheap. Your a lot more likely to become disabled that you are to die early.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,262,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
This area was the closest I saw fit for this topic.

My friend's mother (who's not that old, in her 50s) had to stop working due to complications with MS (multiple sclerosis). She applied for disability a few months ago & is stil awaiting approval (or not). She walks with a cane & gets around in one of those motorized carts when she has to. I would think if anyone would get approved, she would!

Do you think she will get approved in her condition? Any other comments?

I sure hope so because she says if she's not, she'll have to ove out of the place she's renting now & I guess move in with one of her (adult) kids. The board seems to be taking forever processing her disability application/claim.
Search this forum as others have asked the same question. I am always surprised if someone qualifies in under a year. Many times it takes 18 months or more even for even "obvious" cases. I personally knew someone who had to borrow money to buy food before the social security disability finally started two years after they first applied.

Most states have a huge backlogs of cases, in part because people who are clearly not eligible are trying to get coverage. You know the type, "I'm 58 years old, I'm unemployed so I must be unemployed because I'm disabled with something". or " I'm 35 years old and my parents, who supported me my whole life, are getting old so I must qualify for SSD for some reason."

It really slows down the process for people who are truly disabled.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM

6,898 posts, read 22,585,208 times
Our case took 10 months to get approved after denial we hired an attorney and won I think in the 1st round of appeal.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:45 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,769,706 times
Back in summer 2002 it only took me 6 months to get on SSDI for paranoid schizophrenia. In Feb 2009 it took me about 4 months to get back on.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 AM

I'm not surprised that it takes as long as you guys have said to process! Oh no.

Any other comments?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 AM

12,115 posts, read 23,385,026 times
I would not expect to hear anything for a minimum of six months to over a year. Has she even been contacted for a medical evaluation yet?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:30 PM

It looks like my friend's mom has gotten approved! I think she had to wait a total of 6 mos & she didn't have to take any physical exam.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 AM

6,898 posts, read 22,585,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
It looks like my friend's mom has gotten approved! I think she had to wait a total of 6 mos & she didn't have to take any physical exam.
That's great news! There is also a waiting period to be covered under Medicare. As that time passes she'll start receiving info from SSA about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment