Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:56 AM

763 posts, read 2,610,088 times

Advertisements

No job is worth begging for to keep it. Savings or no savings, look at it as though they did you a favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 PM

12,817 posts, read 15,109,374 times
Default Update

I know what you guys are saying. We all have our level of pride too. I only slightly begged (the way I described in my OP) to this one boss, but I've talked to a total ot 3 people (including that boss). Currently, I'm trying to fight to save my job...not begging, but just doing what I can since I believe I was wrongfully non-reelected for rehire (a term used in the school setting world). After all, I'm a single person who lives alone. I don't want to have to move back into my parents' house, so I'm doing what I can to save my job OR at least come out with another position in the company to where I can still afford to live on my own. Also, the drive from my home to work is 20 min or less, so it's a good commute.

So far, like they say, "It's not over till the fat lady sings!"

Old 03-01-2014, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,165 times
I find myself at this point now. I would not normally even think of begging but it is a health and insurance thing.

I am a diabetic, hypertensive and require insulin to maintain sugar. Without current insurance, in excess of $500 a month. My other meds, even in generic another, $500 a month. My biggest worry is my daughter. She is going to soon have to have major medical and hospital time soon to survive.

I am going to beg, plead and grovel to try and ensure that she can be taken care of.

For those that will now say Obamacare will take care of it, research that will you. It would be 2-3 times my current payment and that would not include my and whatever meds my daughter needed.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:33 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,723,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Once a decision is made to let you go, no amount of begging will change it. I've heard someone begging for their job before, and it isn't pretty. It also didn't save her job. Don't beg..... just move on.
Not always true. I've been through more rounds of layoffs than I think anyone ever deserves, but I've seen people saved literally at the last minute. It all depends on the reasons behind the RIF. If your direct management is the one that made the decision than you are likely toast. But if it was some HR bean counter then you or your management definitely can get the order reversed. There have been instances were people have already walked out the door only to be brought back a couple of days later after their managers fought back against HR. It doesn't always work out for the company though. One time they came back begging for an employee to come back. He flat out told them to go F--- themselves.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 AM

4,060 posts, read 2,745,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Not always true. I've been through more rounds of layoffs than I think anyone ever deserves, but I've seen people saved literally at the last minute. It all depends on the reasons behind the RIF. If your direct management is the one that made the decision than you are likely toast. But if it was some HR bean counter then you or your management definitely can get the order reversed. There have been instances were people have already walked out the door only to be brought back a couple of days later after their managers fought back against HR. It doesn't always work out for the company though. One time they came back begging for an employee to come back. He flat out told them to go F--- themselves.
I had this happen to me--a bean counter put me on a list to be laid off (reasoning being that I was making more than anybody else in the department, but didn't have any special title), and I accidentally saw the list (my boss had printed it, but I'd gone to the printer before she had and I'd seen the list--I'd put it back and didn't let on that I'd seen it, but I started quietly preparing myself for the public announcement). The day the layoffs were announced, my boss pulled my team into a meeting, sans three people, and announced that those three people had been laid off and were already gone. One of those people hadn't been on the list I saw, and I had been, and apparently I didn't disguise my surprised face very well. My boss pulled me aside after the meeting and said she had noticed my facial expression, so I confessed that I'd seen the list she'd printed out, and she answered she'd been afraid that somebody had seen it before she could get it. She advised I'd been put on the list by HR with the justification, "She makes more money, but doesn't have any special title." My boss managed to argue with them that while I didn't have a special title, because of past jobs, I brought skills into the group and had helped streamline some processes, and that's why she started paying me more money. So my name and another name got switched last minute.

I had a co-worker at another job who'd been laid off, and got brought back two weeks later.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:43 AM

7,470 posts, read 7,053,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
You folks in Canada must have better emotional intelligence than we do in the States. Statistically, sociopaths/psychopaths are likely to comprise 6% of the population. They will rise to the top because of their charm, and because of their unrelenting focus on self-dealing, cloaked by manipulation. They have reptilian cunning. They don't GET fired unless their behavior is so deleterious - and I'm talking hands in the cookie jar, here - that it will undermine the company's prospects for survival once it all comes out. Treatment of people doesn't matter. Company reputation does.

Companies only get rid of people like this only when it would make senior management look stupider to keep him on while he's cleaning out the accounts than to get rid of him, only to have the details of their stupidity hit the morning news. Meanwhile, these guys go on about their business while getting promoted, often for years and years.

So - my question is: what was it about this guy's behavior that brought him down? We all need to get better educated on sociopathy. If you Canadians can pick it out and act on it better than "we" can, we would be well served to listen to how you do it. These guys are smoooth.

I'm glad you are sitting in a good place now. Frequently, the damage these people do on their way up takes a permanent toll on people.

Thanks for any info on how to spot these folks!
Most sociopaths are not that hard to spot once you work with them for a while provided you're not one of the higher-ups they are brown-nosing. Corporate sociopaths are masters at playing the game and throwing others under the bus while looking great to the higher ups. At the same time, they treat those around them like trash. The main reason these clowns last as long as they do is twofold:

1) Idiots above them believe they are "great workers!" Far too many mid to upper level managers are idiots who believe what they are told and who mistakenly place undeserved trust in the highest ranked and loudest person under them. In most cases, that person will be a sociopath - a loud, abusive ladder climber - who now has the ability to influence those above him. This allows the sociopath to deflect blame, bully others, and ruin the careers of whoever he doesn't happen to like that week. The problem is that most higher level managers don't have wit enough to determine what the sociopath's peers think of him, nor are they smart enough to determine what actual value the sociopath brings to the organization vs. the value he CLAIMS he brings.

2) Coworkers with excuses for the sociopaths: This syndrome is common in the worst environments full of sociopaths - the coworkers of those evil people start to come up with countless excuses to justify the bad behavior of the sociopaths. While they usually won't just flat-out lie and claim a raving nut is a "nice guy," they'll have a huge number of excuses ready: he's under a lot of stress, that's just the way he is, he has a company to run, etc. I've heard them all, and it's all BS. There's NO EXCUSE for lying, cheating, stabbing your coworkers in the back, and picking fights with everyone around you. I don't care how "overworked" a person is - none of that is excusable.

Unfortunately, these two problems feed on themselves. The more idiotic upper management is with regard to dealing with sociopaths, the more excuses the workers will make for the situation to try to justify in their minds why the ravings loons are getting away with bad behavior. This leads to upper level management thinking everything is okay since nobody is complaining about the sociopaths.

Corporate sociopaths are like an aggressive disease - they can rot out a company very quickly, and good leaderships must always be on guard for them.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,004,391 times
I wouldn't, as they are going to get rid of you anyway. May as well go with your chin up and hope for a severance.

Maybe its a karmic way of pointing you in a new direction.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:55 AM

12,817 posts, read 15,109,374 times
OP here! I almost forgot I started this thread! It's almost a year later & regarding my situation, I was let go from that job I was trying to save last spring. But, I'm glad I still tried & don't regret anything I did. The good thing is, I won't have to see any of those people ever again!

I've since gotten another job since the summer, 2013 & I've been doing good!

I plan for 2014 to be my year of making hopefully THE BEST money I've ever made.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,008,526 times
Yeah, I had to before and I was able to keep my job.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:26 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,508,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Have you ever had to beg to try to keep your job & what was the outcome?

I had to do it for the 1st time in my life today. This isn't for some hourly wage job. This is my lifelong career, although I can work at other places iny my field of course. And I'm not talking putting my hands together, kneeling on the floor kind of begging, but just saying everything I can to the boss to hopefully convince him/her to keep me on.

My big whig boss, while preteding to be empathetic, still didn't budge. Oh well, I'll look at it as a blessing in disguise. The lousy thing is, my boss is being canned too & won't be returning in a few months.
I am sorry. Hopefully the next opportunity will be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment