Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,322,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I actually work on the internet, and the company does not pay for that. Nor for the software that I use.
And you have no office to go to? If that's the case, you can write your expenses off on your taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,552,539 times
In the late seventies, early eighties, I did not even have to "look" for a job, one interview, hired. The Sunday paper was thick with help wanted ads. Jobs were so easy to find, moving was no problem. Just think where you wanted to go, move there, have a job by Friday.

Thingd have really changed.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,228,015 times
Quote:
If you say so. Of course your "baby recession" didn't have endless Unemployment extensions. It did, however, have a whole swath of states from the Northeast to the Mid West lose all or most of their industrial bases, never to return or recover.
Yeah, for me in the early 1980s leaving college there was NO work. None. I ended up having to move...twice...once from Kentucky (my home) to Chicago and a second time to California...to finally find a job that actually payed enough to live on.

It took me a year to find work. That was the year I waited in line for the government cheese being distributed out the back of a semi....

Old 03-20-2013, 07:12 AM

797 posts, read 1,353,065 times
In my working days,-------"benefits"..... meant paid holidays,paid vacation, and family health insurance fully paid by the employer.

Not so common today ( employer paid health ins )

Old 03-20-2013, 08:20 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,440,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
In the late seventies, early eighties, I did not even have to "look" for a job, one interview, hired. The Sunday paper was thick with help wanted ads. Jobs were so easy to find, moving was no problem. Just think where you wanted to go, move there, have a job by Friday.

Thingd have really changed.
You must have had skills that were really in high demand.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,465,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Exactly, but these things are necessities now. I'm not talking about Netflix, but you need high speed internet, a computer, insurance, cell phone bill, tons of stuff that didn't exist back then. Most jobs will require you to have cell phone and interet acess at least. That's what I'm talking about.
You can get a computer for around $200 brand new at Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+1...uId=1304657334). You can have a smartphone for $30/mo through carriers like Virgin Mobile or Cricket Wireless. Insurance? You didn't need that back then? I'm on the fence about high speed internet. Do you need it? No. There are places with free wi fi like coffee shops and your local library. However, I do strongly prefer having it myself. I pay $55/month for around 30 Mbps.

And the jobs that require you to have it usually will pay for it. If you work for any other sort of company, then you need to find a new job. My company will pay for my cell phone bill if they require me to use it for work-related business.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,220,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
In my working days,-------"benefits"..... meant paid holidays,paid vacation, and family health insurance fully paid by the employer.

Not so common today ( employer paid health ins )
Don't forget pensions. Companies used to take care of their employees.. not so much these days, which is why everyone job hops. Why be loyal to a company who gives crap raises and doesn't give you incentive to stay?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,220,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Sorry Starry. Gen-X. They were the start of the "it's not fair" generations.
I'm not sure where I fit in here (1979) but I can assure you, even after being stuck in college during the years that the economy was doing well, and people were flipping houses for major cash, I was able to come out and get a job, as did all of my classmates. Out of the house by 18, paid for my own college and bills from then on. Also, if my team did poorly in Little League, we didn't get a trophy, lol. However, to be fair, my grandmother (1921) mostly raised me, and she did a fantastic job.

My mother (1956) however, had two kids well after I was born (1993, 1997). Those boys will likely never leave the home without being shoved out and then they'd camp on the doorstep. They don't pay for anything themselves, are mediocre to poor students, and blame everything "bad" that happens to them in life on others. They were boomer raised, and are now accustomed to four Disney vacations a year, and to be bailed out by their parents in every aspect of life.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,465,542 times
I'd go so far as to say that college expenses are much more than they were for the boomers. And considering that most employers are asking for degrees as a requisite for jobs that will lead to a decent standard of living, I'd say that puts recent generations behind the curve a bit. Sure, you can go the economic route for college. With that said, I'd suggest we start informing kids that going to the best college DOES NOT matter on your resume since many kids base their college decision on which has the best reputation, not the most economical. That was a mistake I made. If I knew then that people wouldn't care about the quality of school you went to, I'd probably have stuck with the 4th tier college that covered a lot of my expenses.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,322,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I'd go so far as to say that college expenses are much more than they were for the boomers. And considering that most employers are asking for degrees as a requisite for jobs that will lead to a decent standard of living, I'd say that puts recent generations behind the curve a bit. Sure, you can go the economic route for college. With that said, I'd suggest we start informing kids that going to the best college DOES NOT matter on your resume since many kids base their college decision on which has the best reputation, not the most economical. That was a mistake I made. If I knew then that people wouldn't care about the quality of school you went to, I'd probably have stuck with the 4th tier college that covered a lot of my expenses.
Exactly. Obviously if you can get into MIT you go, even if you need to live in a box and finance the entire thing. Over 90% of their graduates find jobs immediately after graduation with an average starting salary of $80K.

If you can't get in there (or one of the Ivy's where students graduate with minimal loans due to generous financial aid packages) then it's not going to matter if you get your engineering degree from Johns Hopkins for $43K a year or UCF for $43K total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment