Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,907,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
To be fair, who created the entitled generation where every kid got a trophy? Hi there, boomers.
Sorry Starry. Gen-X. They were the start of the "it's not fair" generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,131,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Someone mentioned that a lot of people died in their 50 working the factories in the 60's.
Was it true that it was considered,Unmanly to go the Doctor and quit smoking in the 60's?
Of my relatives that were adults in that time frame about half the men smoked, half didn't. I can't really say about the doctor, but even today how many men in their 50's see a doctor every year or two and get a basic physical that includes prostate screening, colonoscopy every 5-10, etc.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
To be fair, who created the entitled generation where every kid got a trophy? Hi there, boomers.
Actually that trend didn't start until the Boomer's kids were entering college for the most part. The X-er's were the bunch to blame for that one.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 PM

427 posts, read 949,347 times
Quote:
Smells Like Teen Spirit. "Here we are now, entertain us.". Hi there yourself.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,594,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
While the standard of living for millenials is much better now than that of the Boomers when they were of the same age range, the job market was much more friendly to them. Not only that, Boomers were afforded opportunities to get into the middle class. I could only imagine how things were much easier for them.
I don't know if I am a boomer or not, but I was in my 20's in the late 80's. The job market was nonexistent for people with liberal arts degrees. I waited tables, then went to grad school. In the early 90's I got my first real job. Pay was horrific, but at least it was full-time with benefits. It took me about two months and a major relocation to find that job, which I really hated. I had to live with a roommate and had trouble paying for groceries. By the time I worked my way up to a job that I could stand, which paid a wage I could buy food with, I was in my late 30's.

My parents are definitely boomers, and I think overall things were much harder for them. In their early twenties they already had 2 children. Luckily my dad survived his first job - in Vietnam. They both worked their way through school while we were little, and we were so poor that food was an issue at times. They had one car that only sometimes worked. No credit, no house. They gradually worked their way up to middle class, and although neither was ever unemployed, they worked two jobs at times and were constantly stressed about bills. We suffered bankruptcies and foreclosures at various points. Today they are both quite comfortable, but it comes toward the end of an incredible number of years of extremely hard work.

I think it has been much easier for me, if only because I had children later in life, and was able to go to school right after high school. My parents paid for it, while their parents didn't pay for their education. I know the economy is not great right now, but I think overall we are all living so much better than our parents did.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I don't know if I am a boomer or not, but I was in my 20's in the late 80's. The job market was nonexistent for people with liberal arts degrees. I waited tables, then went to grad school. In the early 90's I got my first real job. Pay was horrific, but at least it was full-time with benefits. It took me about two months and a major relocation to find that job, which I really hated. I had to live with a roommate and had trouble paying for groceries. By the time I worked my way up to a job that I could stand, which paid a wage I could buy food with, I was in my late 30's.

My parents are definitely boomers, and I think overall things were much harder for them. In their early twenties they already had 2 children. Luckily my dad survived his first job - in Vietnam. They both worked their way through school while we were little, and we were so poor that food was an issue at times. They had one car that only sometimes worked. No credit, no house. They gradually worked their way up to middle class, and although neither was ever unemployed, they worked two jobs at times and were constantly stressed about bills. We suffered bankruptcies and foreclosures at various points. Today they are both quite comfortable, but it comes toward the end of an incredible number of years of extremely hard work.

I think it has been much easier for me, if only because I had children later in life, and was able to go to school right after high school. My parents paid for it, while their parents didn't pay for their education. I know the economy is not great right now, but I think overall we are all living so much better than our parents did.
You are a Gen X-er.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,322,349 times
Whether boomers had easy times getting jobs or not - from my opinion, I think you all did have a much easier time OVERALL - the most important thing is your cost of living was low. Yes, I get wages were lower too, but there are far more expenses today that cost a lot more, and inflation has risen faster than wage

Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,762,763 times
Without question, the boomers had it better.

Besides what folks such as parried mentioned about the job market, they'll also be the last generation to benefit from SS and Medicare before the till empties out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Whether boomers had easy times getting jobs or not - from my opinion, I think you all did have a much easier time OVERALL - the most important thing is your cost of living was low. Yes, I get wages were lower too, but there are far more expenses today that cost a lot more, and inflation has risen faster than wage
Most of those "expenses" today are wants, not needs. Don't talk to me about inflation, you didn't live through the 70's. Inflation today is nothing. It's actually quite reasonable and where it should be for a healthy economy.

3,082 posts, read 5,446,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I can think of a few expenses they didn't have: a cell phone bill, a cable bill, Netflix/Hulu Plus, video games, high speed Internet, flat screen plasma TVs...

You do have to admit, we pay for a lot more garbage than past generations. If we lived like the Boomer generation did in the 60s and 70s, I think most people could get by on $12-$14/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment