Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 10:30 AM

366 posts, read 732,734 times

Advertisements

Good for you Joe. Enjoyed your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 07:30 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,775,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've discovered amongst some people I know that being a security guard is regarded as the lowest and most contemptible job a person can have. Comments that I have heard include things like "security guards are losers who can't get a real job." One person informed me that security guards are often "stupid, fat, ugly, lonely people who would otherwise be unemployed and homeless, but lucked into this boring, low paying, unskilled job."

One of the biggest criticisms I hear about security guards that make them both ridiculous and pathetic is that they are "cop wannabes" and imagine that their position gives them some sort of authority, or at the very least 'machismo'.

Let me say emphatically that I disagree with this view. I think whatever your job or occupation is, it is far better than being unemployed or on welfare. It is an honest profession and these men and women deserve respect, not ridicule.

I call them Security Officers. I know some who take their jobs seriously, are fastidious about their uniforms and grooming, and are polite and responsible. Some are trying to improve their careers by taking classes to become managers and supervisors, or by becoming armed security officers.

However, I concede that most people will regard "security guard" with "pathetic loser."
Those who think that security guard is loser are losers themselves.
I personally never looked down on people's occupations.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:00 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,184,196 times
I have a lot of respect for anyone who's willing to work on most legitimate jobs, including that of a security guard. The job requires a lot of responsibility. There are a lot of people out there who are able-bodied & would rather be on welfare that work, so I'm always glad to see someone doing most any job - especially one that I would personally consider difficult.

Plus, I like women in uniform, and wish there were more female security guards

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 05-08-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 11:15 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,546,325 times
I don't think security guards, fast food workers, menial labor, etc are above or beneath any other job. It's just a job. Everyone has to do something to support the whole, and everybody can't be on top. Sorry.

That's probably part of the reason why so many people don't have jobs, they think these positions are "beneath" them... "oh i got my college degree, no way am i picking up trash, etc....." baby, u better get out there and do the damn thing to get your bills paid. leave your ego at the door and do what you gotta do. There is honor in all honest work done to the best of your ability. I bet if this mentality were employed there would be a lot more people WITH a job.

I'm in mid level IT but trust and believe i will hustle at Mickey D or the mall to take care of myself if necessary

Old 05-08-2015, 11:48 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,184,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
That's probably part of the reason why so many people don't have jobs, they think these positions are "beneath" them... "oh i got my college degree, no way am i picking up trash, etc....." baby, u better get out there and do the damn thing to get your bills paid. leave your ego at the door and do what you gotta do. There is honor in all honest work done to the best of your ability. I bet if this mentality were employed there would be a lot more people WITH a job.
Good attitude, and I agree with this. There are a lot of folks out there who are entitled, and don't want to work at anything they consider "beneath" them. Therefore, there are a lot of unemployed folks out there who are living off family and/or welfare.

I have done a lot of jobs I didn't particularly care for throughout my life. They just inspired me to get better jobs. Plus, if you're a potential employer, it looks better if someone is working somewhere (even if it's not in their "field") then sitting at home doing nothing. There's a lot to be said for having a work ethic, i.e. being able to get up in the morning & go work on a job every day. Not surprisingly, there are a lot of people out there who don't have any kind of work ethic...

Old 06-11-2015, 08:55 AM

25 posts, read 43,062 times
Angry Are Security Guards losers?

Ok, I should just ignore this ignorant thread, but I really feel a need to speak up here! As a former security officer, I've often found that those who speak poorly of the private protection field or stereotype those in it are people who probably were doing something wrong that alerted the attention of security! Those who are dismissing the field wholesale generally don't know what they are talking about! There are many levels within a security organization. It's not an easy job, no matter what anyone says. I worked as a receptionist/customer service officer for 14 years. That's nearly half of my career. I hold two BA degrees. I've chosen to pursue other opportunities after relocating to another state to be closer to my family. Would I take another security job similar to the one I had in the past? If the pay was good, yes! Would I call myself a 'loser" for working in the field? Absolutely not! Why would anyone be a loser if they are being an adult and working to keep themselves fed, clothed, and housed without having to become a public charge? Personally, I think the real losers are those who disdain others based what they do for a living. Quite frankly, I find that sort of middle school mentality offensive.

Last edited by ladycascadia; 06-11-2015 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: additional information.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:09 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,988,518 times
No I do it part time at a local sports facility. It is basically free tickets to it (though I can't always watch the event) and pretty good pay as I make 10+ an hour for about right to ten hours of work.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,434 times
"Losers come in all shapes, sizes and professions. I feel it is awfully unfair and outright ignorant to categorize and judge all of the people employed in the security industry. While I feel this stupid sort of question doesn't merit a response, I also feel the need to enlighten people that ask stupid questions, and yes there is a such thing as stupid questions.
How do you define loser?
A person going to a job everyday, whatever that job may be, is a person who deserves some level of respect and dignity. Agree or disagree? Moreover, why is it any of your business or concern as to how a person provides for themselves/ family? Stop being a judgement prick and asking loser questions like the one you posted. Please come down to my security post where all of my co-workers and I are either combat vets, law enforcement vets or both. Please, come down and judge us and call us loser or anything you need to do to make yourself feel better. We'll probably just smile and tell you to have a good day, because professionals don't have time to commit to non-sense. Grow up!

Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
Default Image

I fully agree that security guards sometimes get a bad rap. However, it really depends on who you're working for as to how you get viewed. For example, some companies dress their guys in such a way as to promote a weak image. That's lame. Better to dress to impress and put forth a strong image that commands a presence. I love the guys that work for me, they're exceptional, because they do their job, and they have excellent character. Good luck guys, stay safe.

James

[url]http://www.spearss.com[/url]

Old 08-14-2015, 11:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,974,203 times
I don't have issues with security guards as a job category, but there isn't an obvious path to promotion. Ambition is important to me, so someone stopping at security guard wouldn't be a great life partner for me.

But it is totally honest work and better than the alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment