Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,446,399 times

Advertisements

This policy is to ensure your presence. It encourages you to be there, not take time off, go on vacation

I mean:
If you are sick, you are sick. If you have a medical emergency or a necessary doctor visit
If you need to take a day off due to a religious situation.
If you have a family emergency it's also a reason.

They should accept it, and if they don't they are nasty fascists, and you don't want to deal with them anyways.

As far as getting paid for it, that really depend son your dealings with them. For instance I get paid hourly, so I don't get paid for time I did not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 07:34 PM

84 posts, read 108,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How would anyone on this board possibly know if you will get paid or not? We don't work there you do, you were most likely given an employee handbook which discusses their policies.

Look it up.

What The Bunny was trying to tell you(and it was good advice) is that when you're new like that you can't be sick, or have car trouble, etc. May not be fair but that is the way it is when you're on a probation at a new job.

You also can't be running 20 minutes late and blame it on traffic.

What you should have done is gone in to work and if you were really that sick they would have noticed and sent you home. But this way you made an effort since you're a new employee.

It's different when you have been working somewhere 3 yrs vs. less than 3 months.

You might want to adjust your attitude, considering the economy. I would be more concerned about how this looks than worrying about being paid for one day.
Baloney! When the news reports are saying stay off the roads, and some guy called in and said he was going in because the pizza shop had to open so that the owner didn't lose a few dollars is ridiculous! There are many other jobs you could get at many other pizza/fast food restaurants. Illness has nothing to do with whether you have been there a day or 30 years! I know someone who certainly kept a govt job after getting strep throat and having to take off as a new employee. When I was young, I had acute bronchitis several times as a new employee and got sick ,in addition, on the food they brought in and let sit out during one of their 'office lunch parties'. Dragged myself in, subsequently got laryngytis and lost my voice, but supervisor insisted I call every day on the phone that I was going to be out (wouldn't accept the doctor saying tell them you would be back on thursday, you had to call every day monday-thursday. And they wouldn't accept a spouse or anyone else to call in for you). HELLO?! Laryngytis! Can't talk! So how can you call in every day when you have no voice? Maybe the 'attitude' adjustments that need to be done are on these forums (not just this one, but on many different subjects here on CD) When did your boss ever come up and say, after your 20-25 years of working there 'My, we really appreciate how you dragged yourself in with bronchitis/pneumonia/operation back in 1989, so we are giving you a little bit extra for your retirement party'. NOT.

Last edited by dolly3; 09-22-2015 at 07:51 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Let's see.. less than $90 take home pay vs. thousands of dollars in medical bills because of dragging into work for that one day.. hmmm...

Last edited by dolly3; 09-22-2015 at 07:52 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
I

Could be why I have had three jobs in 30 years, 1st for 20, position eliminated; 2nd for 2-1/2, business closed; and now this one for 6, which I plan to keep.
There were warnings to stay off the road and, in polar vortex territory, greedy companies stayed open these past 40 years, even with no customers. 30 years ago is vastly different from today! What company appreciates your coming in and rewards it with advances or promotions? I started working in 1986, and never have had such a company! It was the norm , at every company I worked , for people, particularly new workers, to call off sick or be late on a regular basis. The women with children would constantly leave during the day for their endless emergencies to have us singles do their work for them, with no extra pay. Those women are still with the company almost 30 years later. So much for losing your job when you leave early and call off all the time. My perfect attendance, although it was often congratulated in performance reviews, made absolutely no difference monetarily.

Last edited by dolly3; 09-22-2015 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 07:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,097,900 times
When I was working in management recently, when we hired new people on there was a 90-day probation period. If they called in sick three or more times we were told by upper management to let them go sometime before the 90th day. In our state we do not have to have a reason to let someone go, but we would explain to them that reliability - calling out - was an issue. I think it may be different in other states?

This company was horrible. They would actually try to get people fired before the probation period was up so they could hire new people. Things like assigning a task when it was obvious that they were not going to be able to complete it, and then using that to make the worker look bad. Also they would scream at the general hourly staff no overtime and then expect them to stay if someone didn't show up, but then they would get written up if they got overtime. Also the PM shift people were not allowed any overtime, yet they were expected to stay until everything was done. Some people actually clocked-out so that they didn't go into overtime but still stayed and completed the jobs so that they wouldn't get written up for unfinished work. Three write-ups and you're fired.

Honestly I'm not business-savvy enough to understand why they would want to do things this way (I wondered if it was so they don't have to give benefits or raises? I dunno.) but it felt really awful working for that company. I ended up handing in my two weeks notice for these and other reasons.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:56 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,446,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
When I was working in management recently, when we hired new people on there was a 90-day probation period. If they called in sick three or more times we were told by upper management to let them go sometime before the 90th day. In our state we do not have to have a reason to let someone go, but we would explain to them that reliability - calling out - was an issue. I think it may be different in other states?

This company was horrible. They would actually try to get people fired before the probation period was up so they could hire new people. Things like assigning a task when it was obvious that they were not going to be able to complete it, and then using that to make the worker look bad. Also they would scream at the general hourly staff no overtime and then expect them to stay if someone didn't show up, but then they would get written up if they got overtime. Also the PM shift people were not allowed any overtime, yet they were expected to stay until everything was done. Some people actually clocked-out so that they didn't go into overtime but still stayed and completed the jobs so that they wouldn't get written up for unfinished work. Three write-ups and you're fired.

Honestly I'm not business-savvy enough to understand why they would want to do things this way (I wondered if it was so they don't have to give benefits or raises? I dunno.) but it felt really awful working for that company. I ended up handing in my two weeks notice for these and other reasons.

I am so fed up by employers like this that i am not sure I am capable giving a notice. I mean we are probably talking about me getting arrested
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment