Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Oh, I think they do more than that, don't you? Given the usual intelligence and fairmindedness of your posts I'm surprised to see you say such a thing.
I wasn't knocking the electrician. I was more or less critiquing the policy which the union set requiring an electrician to plug in appliances. True story, my uncle got written up for plugging in his own desk light... I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to the unions. But after reading what I wrote again, I understand how the intent of my statement could have been misconstrued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Exactly what i was thinking.
1250 jobs is nice.
Then add in suppliers/other jobs related to the massive expansion.
Heck its alot more economical to manufacter the transmission parts in Kokomo than truck them in from far away.
So well wait and see how big the ripple effect is going to be
Bingo, and at $14/hour the robotic alternatives to labor are less attractive. Corps buy robots based on the payback period, i.e. robot cost/direct labor and benefit costs it avoids. If it pays for itself fast enough (2 years or less is common), bye bye jobs.

A $14 hour employee with benes most likely, even after Health Insurance, costs $50-60k/year. A $30/hr employee probably costs $100k. It is not linear, as Health Care is a fixed expense based on the plan, not the wage. But still that means a robot costing $150k is viewed unfavorably if it only replaces 1 employee at $14/hr (2.5 year minimum payback), but if the employee cost $30/hr, it is a 1.5 year payback, and that highly paid blue collar job just went bye-bye.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Bingo, and at $14/hour the robotic alternatives to labor are less attractive. Corps buy robots based on the payback period, i.e. robot cost/direct labor and benefit costs it avoids. If it pays for itself fast enough (2 years or less is common), bye bye jobs.

A $14 hour employee with benes most likely, even after Health Insurance, costs $50-60k/year. A $30/hr employee probably costs $100k. It is not linear, as Health Care is a fixed expense based on the plan, not the wage. But still that means a robot costing $150k is viewed unfavorably if it only replaces 1 employee at $14/hr (2.5 year minimum payback), but if the employee cost $30/hr, it is a 1.5 year payback, and that highly paid blue collar job just went bye-bye.
Humans can still do somethings better than a robot and vice versa.
still The Unemployed should be snatching these jobs up in Kokomo cause honestly each person off the unemployment roles is a good thing.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
I'd be more interested in knowing how many people are applying for these jobs aka the competition. You have to know someone who can get the wheels moving for you.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
still The Unemployed should be snatching these jobs up in Kokomo cause honestly each person off the unemployment roles is a good thing.
Robots are much improved and cheaper than the robots just 10 years ago. We need to make sure we do not make robots the more cost effective alternative.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:57 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Robots are much improved and cheaper than the robots just 10 years ago. We need to make sure we do not make robots the more cost effective alternative.
Well robots still cant analyze documents and apply logic to them.
Robots are only as good as a calculator.

Auto Finance Company Adding Jobs - Newsroom - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick
plus Insurance Company Moving HQ - Newsroom - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick
Insurance companies cant be run by robots.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Robots are still installed, maintained and programed by people. In most facilities, they are operated by people. More than likely, many of these new hires will be trained to operate the robot cells which dominate the modern production floor of the big three automakers. Even at $14/hr, these robots are more cost effective, but they certainly don't eliminate everyone. They just make people more efficient, so fewer workers are required.

If it was as simple as installing robots and replacing all the people, they would have done that a long time ago. Still need operators, quality control, programmers, maintenance workers, forklift drivers, cafeteria workers, people to clean the floor... Small quantity production can't be replaced by robots to the level large scale production is. The tools in which are required for many of the jobs are made by people, often aided by advanced computer controlled drafting and manufacturing equipment. The molds and dies used in these factories are still labor intensive. Still have plenty of guys fixing up and repairing shotty Chinese dies and such. Too many glitches and problems to automate those processes. Why are many workers still needed? Robots can't think. They do what you tell them to do.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Well robots still cant analyze documents and apply logic to them.
Robots are only as good as a calculator..
AI is still in its infant stage, but mfg robots have already progressed tremendously.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
AI is still in its infant stage, but mfg robots have already progressed tremendously.
They sure have. The processes still require a human to prepare. New widgets still demand people to plan every step of the operation. Often times, that comes from trial and error. Slight variations on old jobs can even be a challenge when new batches of material are supplied. Not all materials behave the same during production operators, so people are required to sort everything out. Aluminum from one supplier might be a nightmare to run on a job where previous batches ran without a flaw. It's all the little things that you are not seeing, and there's literally thousands of them.

Will we ever get to a point where you can simply turn a robot on and get good parts? When you're talking about a fraction of a human hair, we are still a long ways away. Easy stuff, we're already doing light out manufacturing, especially for easy materials like brass. Things still happen, but rarely enough that you can afford to turn a machine on and let it run for the night.

Even still, remember how agriculture required 50% of the population? With all the advancements in industrial scale agriculture, you still have people picking fruits and vegetables. Go figure...

Old 03-06-2013, 06:21 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
Quote:
Yep, the unemployed should pack their family up, and move to small town Indiana.

It will be good for that town, because it is a crap hole, but not feasible for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment