Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 AM

433 posts, read 1,369,872 times

Advertisements

Was interviewed earlier this week on Tuesday and was supposed to hear by Friday if I would get hired. Heard nothing so I wasn't hired. There could be multiple reasons why. Maybe it's because I didn't have enough skills. Do you think it had to do with my un-firm handshake? The interviewer held out his hand TWICE after the interview when we were finishing up our talk and both times I shook them without a firm grip and just held onto it. I did some research on the subject and found that employers say it makes you "unimpressive" or "shy". Is this true?

I tried to make it up after the interview with a thank you note and I still didn't get it. What do you guys think. Do you think it was all about the handshake? Do you also think a thank-you note could be a turn-off to some interviewers and make them reconsider giving you the job?

EDIT: Do you think it would also be a turn-off that I had his last name written in the thank-you note when he didn't tell me it himself? He only told me his first name and I called the receptionist later for his last name. Maybe I'm over-thinking this part, but still, do you think maybe he didn't want me to know his last name for personal or some other reasons?

Last edited by mtlquebec102; 02-16-2013 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,515,619 times
I think you're over thinking it, but you haven't mentioned your skills in relation to what the job requires except to say that maybe you don't have enough of them. Or work experience in general. If thats what you think, its probably true.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I think you're over thinking it, but you haven't mentioned your skills in relation to what the job requires except to say that maybe you don't have enough of them. Or work experience in general. If thats what you think, its probably true.
Oh sorry. I forgot to mention I'll be working in the pre-press department in a printing company. I'd be starting as an apprentice and work my way up. I have training in a trade school program.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:51 AM

Well then that it IMO. You have little experience and they took someone with more experience.

As for projecting confidence, that comes with experience. In any job or volunteer position.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Well then that it IMO. You have little experience and they took someone with more experience.

As for projecting confidence, that comes with experience. In any job or volunteer position.
Not alot people apply for printing jobs. I don't think there were other job candidates.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:59 AM

If they hired someone else, then there was. Did you call and ask if the position has been filled?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,556 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Follow up thank you notes don't hurt but really don't help either. A firm handshake is critical for upper level jobs, management and sales and others where you will be meeting people. In a case like yours it probably made little difference. Still, remember that for next time. Firm handshake, smile, and thank them for their consideration and time. Also, just because they
didn't call by Friday does not mean you are out. Things happen, someone may have been out sick, gotten busy, or just didn't get to it. Don't get your hopes up, though, just keep looking. Interviews get easier and better with practice.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
If they hired someone else, then there was. Did you call and ask if the position has been filled?
But aren't there positions where they don't really need someone urgently, but it would be helpful to have?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 AM

I suppose there are, but what does that matter? If you want to know if its been filled, call and ask. It would show your proactiveness and continued interest in working there if you did.

Maybe they decided not to hire anyone at this time, this happens quite a bit. I once applied for a job, I was the perfect candidate, I interviewed with the person whose assistant I was to become and it all sounded great. I called on Monday only to find that the person I was to be hired to assist, left the company in the middle of the night for another company. End of job opening.

You can theorize all you want, or you could just call them and ask if the position has been filled. Perhaps it hasn't and they still don't want you in which case they will say something like "no we are still accepting applications".

Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 AM

88 posts, read 159,245 times
Agreeing with the previous posts. Do report back after you have spoken with HR/the hiring manager...I do find that these days you have to take the trite advice offered by career management blogs/articles with a grain of salt...some know what they are speaking of...many do not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment