Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 AM

9 posts, read 15,069 times

Advertisements

I broke my hand at home in September, I was on disability till November, came back and I was working on my machine again. 3 Weeks later my manager hired his friend on my machine and is trying to send me to second shift. After I been here 7 yrs. Now his friend is working my machine and his putting me to do other crap. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:32 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,001,562 times
If you're an at-will employee then you have a choice. Either accept a move to second shift (presumably doing what you were hired to do on "your" machine") or stay on your present shift and do whatever's required of you. Have you spoken to your manager and asked about this change?

Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,250,339 times
Well, based on what you said, it's not harassment. If they want you to move to another shift and you don't want to or are unwilling then, well, you should prepare to face the potential consequences.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,578,863 times
I am sorry this is happening to you. My educated guess, which is pretty accurate most of the time, is that you are not working fast enough now that you are back in the manager's eyes, and he is trying force you out. I would contact the ADA and EEOC and see what your rights are. They probably believe or know they can make your life difficult legally, and are forcing you to quit, so that you can't claim UI or sue them.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,539,220 times
If you contact EEOC, they will contact the employer. Employer will realize you are whistleblower and make your life more miserable. Get them to lay you off/fire you. Then collect unemployment. Do not quit, as you will get 0.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Sounds like a manufacturing/blue collar job. Is there a union? I would speak to them first. It's not harassment.It's favoritism. The manager is favoring his friend. There is no law against that. You can speak to your union rep, look for another job or try to get layed off and collect.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,612,573 times
Maybe changing shifts is your best option. You would get away from the boss and his friend and all the politics associated with that.

Chances are high that either the boss or friend will not be working that shift together that long(transfers, promotions, someone quits, etc).

Then you can move back to that shift when things change.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:11 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,578,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
If you contact EEOC, they will contact the employer. Employer will realize you are whistleblower and make your life more miserable. Get them to lay you off/fire you. Then collect unemployment. Do not quit, as you will get 0.
I generally agree with that as similar happened to me. I was put on PIP, even though my sales number were the exact same, not great, as everyone elses' and was terminated for lack of sales. I do receive UI, whopping $430 a week, when I previously made $60k year. The problem is now when I try to find another sales job they find out I was terminated for performance and won't consider me or the extenuating factors. New prospective employers say if you did sell why did they fire you. Then you have to break ranks and disparage your employer, which is bad, but if you don't stand up for yourself you are viewed as some loser that didn't cut it.

The reason I discovered the other's weren't fired for the same bad numbers is because they are manger's pet and do his job when he is overworked because they have had previous sales management exp, which I don't have.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:37 PM

how do they find out you were terminated? Do you put that on the application or tell them? Get a reference from another manager or someone above him at the company. Use a coworker as reference if that doesn't work. They don't have HR over there who will just give dates of employment?

Old 12-18-2012, 03:21 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,505,867 times
Sisco8888,

My suggestion is to outperform the friend. Do more and blow the competition out of the water. You have 7 years experience working on that machine, or some other machine? Anyway I would guess that you are a competent employee. Work harder than the rest and outperform them. Your results will be rewarded.

Colorado XXXXX,

You can take getting fired and learn from it. When asked, if that is what is happening, let potential employers know what you learned from the experience and how it made you hungry to get out and out sell others. Let them know that you just need a chance to perform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment