Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 PM

782 posts, read 1,358,090 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone has worked for the Department of Defense? I've applied for a job at a army base and would like to know what anyone's experience working on a military base has been.
As a civilian, do you get treated like your in the army? ie do uniformed supervisors treat you like your active duty or distinguish that you are a civil servant/federal employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 PM

398 posts, read 546,058 times
OK...heres what ya do.

Go to FederalSoup.com. You don't even have to join the forum if you don't want to. There is one area after another having to do with different areas of Federal Employment....sorta like we have here. Go to the area on Department of Defense and start reading.

Now...why am I suggesting this instead of just trying to answer your question? Because even though I am in Federal Employment I would be hazarding a guess and you need to get your questions answered by people who are doing what you say you WANT to do. Also, if you have to dig up your own answers they will mean more than if we all just spoon-feed you. Got it?

Go gettum, Tiger!

Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 AM

385 posts, read 615,602 times
Never been a direct hire but I have 20 years in as a contractor. I've not noticed a difference in how people are treated. You may have individuals who treat people differently based on personality differences, but that also occurs in the corporate world.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,354 times
I have worked as a GS, both my folks are currently GS employees ( slackers) , currently I'm a contractor, been trying to get back in since. Even though I do like my current job in the contractor system. Just tired of being screwed over.

As far as work environment its going to vary, I work with both Army and Marines the people do make the place. Some a great others can take a hike.

Did you get the job if so congrats! I hope to crack the code myself.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:04 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Just curious if anyone has worked for the Department of Defense? I've applied for a job at a army base and would like to know what anyone's experience working on a military base has been.
As a civilian, do you get treated like your in the army? ie do uniformed supervisors treat you like your active duty or distinguish that you are a civil servant/federal employee.
One of my jobs is with the Department of Defense and no, I am not treated like I was in the Army. (I've been in the Army, therefore, I know the difference.) I am treated like a civilian.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,924,846 times
Don't forget the veterans' preference. Although veterans still have a higher unemployment rate, they do have a leg up on Federal employment.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM

398 posts, read 546,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Don't forget the veterans' preference. Although veterans still have a higher unemployment rate, they do have a leg up on Federal employment.
Is that true? Do you know that for a fact? I am frankly astounded if that tidbit is true.

With all of the employment safeguards, programs and whatnot? I don't think a week goes by that there isn't some Human Interest story about the Vets seeking to enhance an already positive Public Image. And the country is pretty damn happy with the Vets and what they have done..... I just don't figure that.......unless some guy is actually TRYING to make a case for being "unemployable" or a compensation package. Thoughts?

Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 PM

782 posts, read 1,358,090 times
I got the job offer and accepted it
Thanks for all your answers, especially for federal soup forum.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,354 times
Wow lucky! Congrats!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,767,164 times
Wow that was fast. Applied, interviewed, and offered in three days haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment