Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,385 times

Advertisements

I have been at my current job for 7 years but I transferred into a new department in July of this year. However I've been offered a wonderful opportunity with another company. The offer had actually been in the works since around the time I started with my new department.

I have never resigned from a job before (this is the first and only job I've ever had also) and am nervous to break the news to my boss. My boss had a full calendar of things for me to do including travel in the upcoming weeks. And our office is short staffed.

I just want to make a graceful exit. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Two weeks notice.
Tell your boss first.
Offer to smooth the transition in any way you can (training people for example).

Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM

43 posts, read 158,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Two weeks notice.
Tell your boss first.
Offer to smooth the transition in any way you can (training people for example).
+1 — that's exactly how to do it.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:23 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Don't forget to tell everybody including HR how much you love working with them and how great your boss has been. :-)

Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,735 times
yep give them ample advance warning, be nice to everyone (even those you don't like) until the very end, do your best with any handover/transitioning work and on the last day, send a nice, touching email about how awesome everyone there is and how much you learned and grew as a person over your tenure there. leave your personal contact info in case anyone wants to reach out.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:58 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Everything that everyone else has said here.

Two weeks is the bare-bones minimum notice to leave a job on good terms. I have always tried to give at least a month's notice, and when I left the company where I worked for 18 years, I gave them four months notice. Of course a longer notice isn't always possible, if your new offer is contingent on a very quick start date, but try to negotiate as much time as possible.

Plus, if you have developed any new processes in your current workplace, or if you have materially improved or altered existing processes, write up comprehensive manuals to explain and describe them in detail (if you haven't already done so - hopefully you at least have a start on this). Be sure to save them to a place on the company's server where your team can access them. I have done this for every employer I've ever worked for, and in at least one case that I know of, the company is *STILL* using those manuals 13 years later.

When I've left places, I also always make sure that everyone in my team has my personal email address, and if I know my new work email, that one as well. If anyone has questions that I did not answer in either process manuals or training sessions before my departure, I want them to be able to ask them easily.

As a side note, I am still in regular contact with my former boss from the job I left 13 years ago when we moved 1,800 miles to our present city; we email, exchange holiday greetings, and occasionally chat on the phone. And he still gives stellar references about me to other employers.

So it's definitely worth leaving on friendly terms and keeping those bridges intact. You never know when you'll wind up running into your former boss again, or under what circumstances. Good for you for planning a well-managed exit, and best of luck in your new job!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I have been at my current job for 7 years but I transferred into a new department in July of this year. However I've been offered a wonderful opportunity with another company. The offer had actually been in the works since around the time I started with my new department.

I have never resigned from a job before (this is the first and only job I've ever had also) and am nervous to break the news to my boss. My boss had a full calendar of things for me to do including travel in the upcoming weeks. And our office is short staffed.

As others have said, 2 weeks notice. Longer if possible, but only if this does not jeopardize your new position.

Also, and I have done this so I am not just saying it, if you are really feeling bad or that you are leaving them in the lurch, teh offer that the person who takes over your job is welcome to call you when they first start is usually appreciated by an overwhelmed boss. I have made this offer 2 times, and in one of the cases, I did receive a phone call.

But, be helpful during your 2 weeks, tie up as many loose ends as you can, and leave after the 2 weeks are over with no guilt.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:15 PM

27 posts, read 48,422 times
I would send him an email two weeks before I left. That is enough time for him to prepare for a replacement.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking25 View Post
I would send him an email two weeks before I left. That is enough time for him to prepare for a replacement.
Don't be a jerk. OP is in an unfamiliar situation and wants actual advice.

Yours was intentionally unhelpful and undercut all that OP was attempting to do.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:49 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post

Definitely talk to him about your departure as soon as possible, so you can give him enough time to find a replacement. Talk to him privately or make an appointment if he is extremely busy all the time. The sooner you tell him you are leaving, the better for him to prepare to fill the position. Maybe you can offer to help him locate a new person for the new position to counter the news. The thing you want to do is to leave on good terms, so that if you think you ever had to come back to your old company, a position could be there for you. Never burn bridges if at all possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment