Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:48 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,090,997 times

Advertisements

I have to say I prefer working at big companies than small ones. Yes, it's nice to 'know' the boss and have him say hello to you (in a small organization) but there are downsides.

Recently I worked somewhere for one day. Decided it was not a good fit for me, so I told the owner later that night, thank you but it's not for me.

Well, payday came and went. No check. I gave it a few days and still no check. I emailed last night, very politely to ask when I would get paid. I wonder if I will get a reply.

I don't like how 'owners' want you to kiss their butts for your paycheck. It happened to me when I worked in a daycare center in a woman's home. I had to beg her (starting at about 3 pm till I left at 4:30pm) if she would 'have my paycheck ready.'). Every Friday it was the same thing. Then they wonder why you quit these low level jobs and NO loyalty??

I think some of these people want you to work for free! Or they 'get off' on making you jump through hoops for your hard earned money. In a big company you have some of this but at least you can go complain to human resources or they deliver your checks by a certain time.

No wonder I am so soured on working. I find a lot of these owners/bosses headcases. I mean, they act like you pick their pockets every week!

Anyone else? (this rant felt good!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 02:52 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,156,801 times
I've never experienced this but I've never quit a job after one day either.

When I took my current job I had another offer in hand that I had not yet accepted and I took a week to decide between the two offers. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't taking a job that I'd just freaking hate.

Your employer doesn't have the right to keep your money from you, but I can understand why he's annoyed with you.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:27 PM

It was a 3 hour job where I was making a very low wage as server. (something I have never done). I felt working conditions were very bad. I've been a preschool teacher and worked in other places but I NEVER worked so hard for such poor money in those three hours.

I had no where to take a break because every one else smoked (and took about 4 breaks in the 3 hours).

The following day my husband started a new job and it would have meant leaving our son alone while he dropped me off at work. Trying to get 3 people ready by 7 am just wasn't worth the measly pay (I also had bad vibes off the manager).

Guess I was right.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 10-10-2007 at 04:37 PM..

Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,716,261 times
No, I've never had to kiss butt for my paycheck either. I've worked for maybe a handful of very small companies, the rest were national or international employers.

Is it possible an in-home daycare provider might have to wait until end of day Friday to collect all her fees for that week in order to pay out???

Old 10-11-2007, 12:52 PM

239 posts, read 800,482 times
I've worked for TimeWarner (CNN) and I've worked for small marketing companies...there's ups and downs to both, but if being treated fairly is what you want, I suggest the big companies.

The smaller ones are like dictatorships or the wild west. The "God" complexes people get in small companies are often left unchecked. You either put up with it or get fired. Blah....no thanks!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:49 AM

203 posts, read 928,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I have to say I prefer working at big companies than small ones. Yes, it's nice to 'know' the boss and have him say hello to you (in a small organization) but there are downsides.

Recently I worked somewhere for one day. Decided it was not a good fit for me, so I told the owner later that night, thank you but it's not for me.

Well, payday came and went. No check. I gave it a few days and still no check. I emailed last night, very politely to ask when I would get paid. I wonder if I will get a reply.

I don't like how 'owners' want you to kiss their butts for your paycheck. It happened to me when I worked in a daycare center in a woman's home. I had to beg her (starting at about 3 pm till I left at 4:30pm) if she would 'have my paycheck ready.'). Every Friday it was the same thing. Then they wonder why you quit these low level jobs and NO loyalty??

I think some of these people want you to work for free! Or they 'get off' on making you jump through hoops for your hard earned money. In a big company you have some of this but at least you can go complain to human resources or they deliver your checks by a certain time.

No wonder I am so soured on working. I find a lot of these owners/bosses headcases. I mean, they act like you pick their pockets every week!

I agree...............a multitude of jobs in many fields..............the small business owner is very tight fisted with their money and very reluctant to give any of it up..................
I've been on both sides employee and employer, being an employer isnt fun either.................hiring, training, retraining, firing etc.............and when i found someone overqualified.................she had many degrees but because she was a recent immigrant(Poland) she found it difficult to get a job in her specialty......................i hired her.............she proved herself much more competent than the others(recent grads)............I ended up payin her double because i was so impressed with her..................that's what small biz owners should do!...................but unfortunately they pay minimal wages and complain that people ditch em the first chance they get?!

For jobs................that is, if you dont have a specialty or your specialty is a little slow right now.....................i highly recommend a good union job............i've worked in the railroad, airline and transit field and the wages are quite good...............

...............no kissing butt.................unless of course there's favortism/nepotism involved................but that's a different thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:07 AM

Well, the saga goes on. I filled out all the required paperwork (with SS numbers/addresses/bank info) when I applied.
Last night the guy emails me and says "I need your address to send you your check." What??? I already gave them all this. (I think he is pushing my buttons for this money).
I emailed it to him. I mean, come on, how do you run things?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,523,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

I worked for one of those. When I asked to be paid, she patted the drawer of her desk and said "Its in here." Then she didnt give me the check. Then she said I would have to wait another week, because she felt it was "too soon". Then the next week, which was 4 weeks after I started, I asked for my check, and she patted the drawer again. Then she said later she was going to a client's for the rest of the day. I asked for my paycheck. I got it from her, but when she pulled more garbage on me, I left. I wasn't working there to have someone play games with me..

Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,523,735 times
PS There are a LOT of crazy people out there.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:59 AM

558 posts, read 2,250,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
PS There are a LOT of crazy people out there.
And, amazingly, a lot of them are the ones with power!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment