Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:01 PM

6 posts, read 14,764 times

Advertisements

I am trying to keep my chin up and be positive but I never thought I would have such a hard time finding work here in Charlotte. I have twenty years experience selling new homes and have sent resumes to over 30 employers on line and have not be offered one position. I dont get it. I am extremely hard working, have a successful career, and want to play with a good team. I was a sales manager for 8 years and I know when I would hire agents, I wish someone with my background would have come in to see me. Is it just that there is so much competition looking. I feel like its hard to job hunt with everyone hiding behind computers and technology. I love computers, dont get me wrong, but its still a personal one on one thing that should help employers to find the right person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 04:08 PM

667 posts, read 2,889,703 times
Have you had someone proofread your resume? I am one of the worst people to actually say this because I'm plagued by it also, but your post has a few SERIOUS grammatical errors. If your resume is similar, I can see how this can be a deal killer.

I will also add that I've never had any luck with applying to online positions. I've always been hired due to social networking.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myryboy View Post
I am trying to keep my chin up and be positive but I never thought I would have such a hard time finding work here in Charlotte. I have twenty years experience selling new homes and have sent resumes to over 30 employers on line and have not be offered one position. I dont get it. I am extremely hard working, have a successful career, and want to play with a good team. I was a sales manager for 8 years and I know when I would hire agents, I wish someone with my background would have come in to see me. Is it just that there is so much competition looking. I feel like its hard to job hunt with everyone hiding behind computers and technology. I love computers, dont get me wrong, but its still a personal one on one thing that should help employers to find the right person.
i would see a counselor. just a guess its probably something you already know but are not dealing with.

stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-06-2007, 04:28 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,519,519 times
Default Economy size

Quote:

Hey, it's not YOU...it's the ECONOMY. People keep saying there are all these jobs out there, but not too many are the livable wage, you can rise up in it, jobs.
Keep plugging away. It's not you. And don't waste your money on career gurus (counselors). They know even less about the job market than you do.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:29 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,405,796 times
Selling new homes? Hello? Read the paper? New homes sales are plunging. There are no jobs in that segment. I've had times when there's been no work in my industry either. I just had to work harder to find the work. Brick walls are there to stop the other people...

Greenie

Old 10-07-2007, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,211 times
I am in the same boat in Florida. It is not you , that's for sure. Try being 52 and starting over in a different state. Tha's what I have had to do because of family and I am a country club manager still looking for work . I have felt like a loser for aover a year but keep trying . So don't give up, we have to find something .

Old 10-07-2007, 07:45 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,322,197 times
Resume's are intended to do ONE thing...get the interview!
I hate them...what they are used for is to disqualify the applicant.
With the market downturn , you may have to shift your paper
approach to a more direct personel approach and do some cold calling at some of the prospects you have sent resume's to.. and get their feedback...I would try at least 10.

You do not say exactly what your field is...could you transfer to Real Estate Sales?
A strong market lies in North Central West Virginia. Modulars, trailers, trac builders are here and looking for sales people. The sharks in the Real Estate shoppes have never seen so much blood....

Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 PM

558 posts, read 2,249,978 times
Try thinking outside the box. Property management (condo complex, etc.) can pay quite well and be decent working conditions. Real estate publications hire people to sell ads. Going in person--definitely a good idea. Check with the chamber of commerce--they all have employment links on their websites, and the leads tend to be better than the typical job sites. And, no, it's not you--the economy is hurting and we are all hurting with it...

Old 10-07-2007, 08:12 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,971,541 times
I would definitely try the personal approach! You have to do something to set yourself apart from the other job candidates. Take your resume in, talk with HR person. Make them love you, then they will have to hire you! I'd also do a follow up call after the personal visit. I mean, you don't want to appear like a stalker, lol, just enough to let them know you have follow thru.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:34 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,986 times
Quote:
I have a funny feeling you're having a hard time finding a job in your field for the same reason I'm having a hard time selling this home I just finished renovating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment