Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 02:23 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,572,975 times

Advertisements

Always send a cover letter. Make it as brief as possible.

Tell the job you are applying to. Your most important credentials for the job.

For example:
---------------------------------
I am applying for Accounting Administrator 1 - Job Code A597.

My AS in Accounting and 7 years' experience as a Sr Accountant in the insurance industry appears to be a perfect fit for this position.

My most recent experience was in the AP department at Acme Corp, an Insurance Carrier. I have expensive experience in both SAP and Peoplesoft.

I look forward to discussing this opportunity with you in detail.

Best Regards,

Joe Smith
JoeSmith@myemail.com
876 -xxx-xxxx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 02:31 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,780,425 times
It may be a regional or industry-specific deal, but I'd say 99% of the time employers never read my cover letter.

I still send it anyway, but what makes or break the deal is the specific skill set they're looking for, which they want to see broken down on your resume.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,194,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

For example:

My AS in Accounting and 7 years' experience as a Sr Accountant in the insurance industry appears to be a perfect fit for this position.

My most recent experience was in the AP department at Acme Corp, an Insurance Carrier. I have expensive experience in both SAP and Peoplesoft.

Best Regards,

Joe Smith
JoeSmith@myemail.com
876 -xxx-xxxx

It's not saying why the person is a perfect fit.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:44 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,903,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

For example:

Best Regards,

Joe Smith
JoeSmith@myemail.com
876 -xxx-xxxx
ExPensive? I think you mean exTensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's not saying why the person is a perfect fit.
Read much? "My AS in Accounting and 7 years' experience as a Sr Accountant in the insurance industry appears to be a perfect fit for this position."

Old 09-15-2012, 02:52 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
ExPensive? I think you mean exTensive.

Read much? "My AS in Accounting and 7 years' experience as a Sr Accountant in the insurance industry appears to be a perfect fit for this position."

So what is it exactly about those 7 years as a Sr Accountant that makes the person a perfect fit?

Old 09-15-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
So what is it exactly about those 7 years as a Sr Accountant that makes the person a perfect fit?
The point has been made in a brief cover letter and can be extended upon if and when an interview results from the application. Your profession is as an Employment Counselor?

Old 09-15-2012, 03:10 PM
FBJ

Quote:
The point has been made in a brief cover letter and can be extended upon if and when an interview results from the application.
The point has not been made and it's clear you know nothing about cover letters. Goodbye

Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
The point has not been made and it's clear you know nothing about cover letters. Goodbye
The point HAS been made and I obviously know way more about cover letters than you. How many times in your expansive career have you been an employer even at the basest level?

Old 09-15-2012, 03:15 PM
FBJ

Quote:
The point HAS been made and I obviously know way more about cover letters than you. How many times in your expansive career have you been an employer even at the basest level?
Oh please, you were never a employer so stop the nonsense. When it comes to cover letters you mention one skill and explain why that particular skill makes you a good fit. What's the point in mentioning experience if you don't bring up what you gained from that experience?

Old 09-15-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Oh please, you were never a employer so stop the nonsense.
Really? I've owned two businesses of my own and have hired for two others over the course of my working life. Check your facts before throwing out your nonsense. Hint - go to my profile and you'll find a link to the website of the 16 year business I had before I closed it last year. Methinks you need to take a nap.

But please do answer the question which was, "How many times in your expansive career have you been an employer even at the basest level?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment