Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM

13,016 posts, read 19,011,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
First of all, and I am saying this the nicest way possible, the hell with all of you thinking that people who don't complete STEM degrees and instead get Liberal Arts degrees are losers or students who only want to party. I tried going the pre-med route, and the stress behind it literally made me sick. I went to office hours, got tutoring, went to study groups and did everything I could do do well in those courses but, as I was told by my academic counselor, I didn't have the wiring for it. I switched to something I loved, English, and am doing quite well with it.

No, it's not an "easy" major; I worked my ass off to earn that degree, and I am sick of jerkoffs who think that we are losers, lazy or people who only want to party.

End rant.
And some think that STEM graduates get job offers stapled to their degrees. Garbage, of course; plenty of STEM graduates are out of work. And Liberal Arts majors often find related work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,355,243 times
Maybe just take your required this year, don't declare a major just yet. Explore some other curriculum and find your niche...With strong math skills you could do several of the sciences...or economics. Pick your interest and best feild for jobs and money.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 PM

346 posts, read 971,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adox View Post
So I'm a freshman in college this year and have only been in school for about a week. I'm majoring in chemical engineering because I have always been good at math even though I don't always enjoy it, but so far I am just hating my classes and don't know if I can put up with constant math and science courses for four years. I know that it has only been a week but I am just really concerned about getting stuck in a job and career path I am going to end up hating. Now I have been looking into changing into a liberal arts major, possibly poly sci, international studies or geology but am concerned with being able to find a good job after i graduate with one of those.I mean I feel like I kind of just fell into the engineering degree choice but wasn't really prepared for the actual idea of it. Do So are there any good degrees that will actually be pretty useful once I graduate that would require more of math and social science based learning rather than sciences such as physics, chem, or biology? Also is it worth it sticking it out in chemical engineering?
Not sure if OP is still around....

Once you get out of school, you can make sure you never have to do any fancy math. A chemical engineering degree is pretty versatile. You can go into construction management, design engineering, business and finance even.

Liberal arts degrees are for the most part worthless. Don't even bother. If you do, make sure to go to community college to get your prerequisites out of the way for cheap.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,943,036 times
Liberal arts is only good if you can and want to go to grad school or accept any job in sales you can get.

Have you considered the business route? I would only suggest finance, accounting, or economics. All involve mathematics but you will be taking a lot of business classes and even a few liberal arts classes. There is not a lot of "higher math" involved in these, except for maybe finance.

I'm studying accounting and I love it. I'm a junior but I already know more about accounting than most business owners. It's also a great degree to have if you want to start your own business.

Finance generally will pay better if you can get into the right company (which involves being at the right university ).

Economics is more broad and you can get a finance job with it, but it's not as heavy as the other two majors and probably the closest to liberal arts.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,943,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adox View Post
Actuarial science actually sounds a lot like what I'm looking for. What type of jobs would be available with a degree in that?
Generally big insurance companies will scoop you up. I believe there is extra schooling involved but expect to make six figures and shoot for an internship with a large insurance company by sophomore or junior year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment