Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:13 PM

12 posts, read 39,981 times

Advertisements

Alright guys/gals here's the rundown. I'm a very young bookkeeper at a mid-size retail store.I love what I do as a Bookkeeper but the pay isn't that great in the retail industry so I am looking to switch. I can take a management position fairly easy to get a few more dollar per hour but I like bookkeeping and I don't want a career in retail unless I most to bring home the bacon. I have three years and a half years experience as a retail bookkeeper specializing in mostly cash control and I'm very good at what I do. I'm currently in school getting my associate degree in accounting, I'm pretty computer savvy, I'm a touch typist, and studying to get my master's certification for Microsoft Office. How employable will I be upon graduation? Will my experience count in a different industry? Is an associate degree in accounting worth pursuing? Any advice wound be a lot of help. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 11:34 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,412,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice#1#Puncher View Post
Alright guys/gals here's the rundown. I'm a very young bookkeeper at a mid-size retail store.I love what I do as a Bookkeeper but the pay isn't that great in the retail industry so I am looking to switch. I can take a management position fairly easy to get a few more dollar per hour but I like bookkeeping and I don't want a career in retail unless I most to bring home the bacon. I have three years and a half years experience as a retail bookkeeper specializing in mostly cash control and I'm very good at what I do. I'm currently in school getting my associate degree in accounting, I'm pretty computer savvy, I'm a touch typist, and studying to get my master's certification for Microsoft Office. How employable will I be upon graduation? Will my experience count in a different industry? Is an associate degree in accounting worth pursuing? Any advice wound be a lot of help. Thanks in advance!
Why are you reposting this? I guess I could understand if you received no replies so you rewrote it or something. But you posted the exact same thing 2 days ago.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...vice-wise.html

Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 PM

Yea I know but I figure my title was not attracting the attention from people who could offer some advice. Anyways it did get you to post something at lest

Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 AM

380 posts, read 1,157,882 times
It sounds like you will be employable upon graduation. You are getting the work experience and you have the software experience under your belt. In addition, you are pursuing a 2year degree. I doubt you will have any trouble's getting a position.

I just graduated with a bachelor's in accounting and it has been difficult for me because I don't have experience.

Good luck!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the little bit of reassurance knt1229 and good luck on your job hunt.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:15 PM

69 posts, read 176,603 times
how did you get the bookkeeping job with no qualifications at first? is that a big retail company you are working for?

Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,884,090 times
It won't be easy. You'll get stuck in the 20-30k range most likely. Even if you get a BA degree in accounting, you will still get stuck in the 20-30k range most likely. Why will you get stuck in that range? Simple: competition. Accounting gets a reputation of being a, "good" field. So the end result is lots of people studying the profession thinking it's loaded with jobs. I was one of them. That pushes down wages. If you make above 30k+, consider yourself lucky that you found a good employer. They are dropping like flies. All about the bottom line these days.

If you want to make 50k+, you'll need a CPA and hell it seems like even the CPA isn't worth much. The jobs that require a CPA and pay decent all have dozens of CPAs lined up to take the job. Especially at CPA firms. Most firms are looking to hire new grads and the firm just works with them to get their CPA.

Truth be told, accounting is more about connections and networking. Getting a BA degree or a CPA is easy, if you have the connections to get you the 50k+ job.

Needless to say, I no longer work in accounting. I'm self-employed (not in accounting).

Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 PM

380 posts, read 1,157,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice#1#Puncher View Post
Thanks for the little bit of reassurance knt1229 and good luck on your job hunt.

Good luck

Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM

Sorry for taking so long to reply been busy. I started as a cashier then became an assistant to the co-manager. Him and the store manager liked my work so they moved me to a bookkeeper as soon as I turned 18 and I excelled. I'm avoiding taking a manager position because I wish to pursue my dreams.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,228,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

If you want to make 50k+, you'll need a CPA and hell it seems like even the CPA isn't worth much. The jobs that require a CPA and pay decent all have dozens of CPAs lined up to take the job. Especially at CPA firms. Most firms are looking to hire new grads and the firm just works with them to get their CPA.
This is definitely not true everywhere. We hire accountants without CPAs that make over 80K+ on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment