Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:04 PM

11 posts, read 37,097 times

Advertisements

Here is my story:

I graduated from college about five years ago and took a job working in city government in a super small town in the middle of Oklahoma basically in the middle of no where. I liked living there and really connected with my coworkers and boss. But the city I worked at faced drastic cutbacks due to a falling population and lowered property values. Now I am unemployed, nearly broke except for a small unemployment check and stuck in this small town with no job prospects.

I would love to move to a big city- like Dallas- and start my job search there but I have no money for an apartment, or the income an apartment would require to get approved for a lease. I lost my only credit card when I could not pay the bill. My parents are dead and I have no brothers or sisters or immediate family. The only reason I am not homeless is a friend in the small town is letting me stay with him for awhile. But there are no professional jobs for me here in this small dying town.

What would you do? How can I move to a big city with jobs if I can't get into an apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 PM

130 posts, read 365,446 times
wow, I feel for you bro, as we are BOTH in the same situation. My parents are gone too, so I feel your pain. The only thing that you can do is either try to network and see if you can get a decent job, take a job(any job) and save up money and hope you can get on your feet that way, or suck it up, get a job, save up some money and move to dallas. I know that there are shelters in dallas that can probably help you and I know that is probably not what you want to hear, but at this point since you don't have anyone that will help you, that seems the best bet. If you decide to go to Dallas though, try to make some friends before you go that way you won't be just there and by yourself. That's what I would do.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 PM

13 posts, read 29,561 times
Hey, I'm in San Diego and lost my job 4 months ago. I have a small unemployment check but am close to being homeless. The bigger cities do offer more opportunity but not always....I hope you find something. What town are you in?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 PM

29,796 posts, read 24,880,628 times
I was in somewhat of a similar situation a year or so back. Worked in the auto industry in Michigan after high school. Had some layoffs and eventually had enough. Took some train rides to Chicago and interviewed. Took about a week to find a job. Job security is non existent in the private sector these days. What I did was lived with a roommate for nearly a year to test the waters. Saved some extra money and built the confidence that this area would be stable enough.

My advice would be to travel for interviews if possible. Don't just pack your stuff and go. Big cities tend to be way too expensive for that if you're on the path to going broke anyhow. Travel expenses for seeking work are tax deductible, as well as hotels and so forth. Living expenses are not. Also, research which areas might offer the most opportunity for your particular degree or profession. Try to line up interviews so you can travel and hit a few on the same day. Bring some extra resumes to pass out to local businesses.

I would also add... If you do find work out of state, FIND SOMEONE LOOKING FOR A ROOMMATE!!! Like I said, no job is secure, and you don't want to tie yourself down to an area that may not be suitable. Aside from that, the larger cities are generally more expensive. Even more reason to split the bills if possible. These days, there are all sorts of folks who could use an extra income to help cover the bills. You have to be careful about it, but there are plenty of good folks who could really use the help, just the same as yourself. When I secured work out of state, what I did was stayed in a hotel for the weekend. I used that weekend to check out many different places and people looking for roommates. I found someone on Saturday, moved in on Sunday, and was ready for work on Monday. Couldn't have worked out better. It was also pretty cool living in Chicago for the year and really being able to explore the city, as well as have plenty of extra $$$ to enjoy what it had to offer. I would highly recommend considering a roommate.

Good luck and work hard. Seeking work out of state is certainly no picnic, but it's the wisest choice given the lack of opportunities in your apparent location. Might I also suggest... Garage sale! No sense in dragging extra crap you don't need, and it could provide an extra $$$ cushion for the transition.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Where exactly are you?

My suggestion would be to land a job (anything) in the closest city and then look for long term work

Old 08-16-2012, 02:39 AM

11 posts, read 37,097 times
I am stuck in Boise City OK in extreme western Oklahoma. There are no jobs here for me that pay more than minimum wage. Even if I found a job that paid slightly more than minimum wage what good would that do me in my goal to move to a large city. I would be living paycheck to paycheck busy forty hours a week and could not find a job in a big city 500 miles away because I would be working during business hours.

The roommate idea is good but I would struggle coming up with the first months rent and security deposit. Who would want me to move in with them if I have bad credit and no income?

But on the other hand if I was able to move to Dallas I could devote all my time to getting a job in an area with a relatively heathy economy (by today's standard) and more professional jobs that pay more than minimum wage. Also my contacts in the employment agencies tell me that most employers want a local candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Where exactly are you?

My suggestion would be to land a job (anything) in the closest city and then look for long term work

Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Town Resident View Post
But there are no professional jobs for me here in this small dying town.

What would you do? How can I move to a big city with jobs if I can't get into an apartment?
I'd say at this point you cant afford the luxury of focusing only on a professional job, you need to go for anything you can get,its called survival.also forget about moving to a bigger city as you'll just end up homeless if you dont have a job to go to..
In the mean time get that CV out there to potential jobs in other cities.

https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&gs_nf=1...iw=853&bih=493

Old 08-16-2012, 05:06 AM

80 posts, read 222,163 times
I don't know what field you are in but what about positions that provide you with housing? Like live in nanny, housekeeping, taking care of the elderly. It will give you an opportunity to save your money.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:07 AM

684 posts, read 824,771 times
Yes. If you were laid off, you should be able to collect unemployment. Start there.

The next thing you want to do get a pay-as-you-go phone for the area you want to apply. This will give you a local number, which can make the difference when looking for work.

Then, apply through the internet for places, but don't rely exclusively on the internet. Use newspapers for job fairs, go to government agencies.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:12 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
That is a really difficult situation. Many years ago I faced a similar problem - small town, no job prospects, and my parents were there but could not help me financially. I worked as a bartender and waitress - the only well-paying jobs I could get in that town - and saved up a few thousand bucks. Then I took every penny I had and just drove down to DC, where I had heard (correctly) that jobs were plentiful, even during a recession. I moved into the world's crappiest apartment with a roommate I barely knew. It took a few months and I very nearly ended up homeless, but I did eventually find a professional job. I think you're going to have to take a huge risk and move out at the first opportunity. Avail yourself of whatever public services you can - whether it's welfare, food stamps, govt. housing, whatever. You've got a computer and an education, so you can find out about what's out there to help you. It's not going to be easy, but you can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment