Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 PM

14 posts, read 33,554 times

Advertisements

I graduated from school a few years ago and I am in the process of getting my teaching license. I am in debt from school and I am trying to position myself to where I have a decent stable job that I like and that pays well, though now I feel like that is an oxymoron at this point.

I thought long and hard about what I want and I have narrowed it down to two things that I feel passionate about, communications and education. I have a bachelor's degree but it will not help me break into PR, marketing, or advertising since it is just a liberal arts degree, so i was thinking of going back to get my bachelor's in corporate communications(school does not offer a masters) which would give me more options to find those jobs. The con to this is that I do not think I will make a lot of money, last year I made 42k.I do really like talking to people and I like to write.

I could go back for my masters in education technology, it's a mix of business, education, and media/video courses. The description says that it is useful for education or corporate trainers, on top of that if I get into a school district with this degree, I am GUARANTEED to make at least 50k once I get a job and I could go as high as over 100k. The con to this is that I will be stuck in education I feel like I won't have any options, but I will work in a field that I am ok with and it will pay well, have my own office.

The problem is is that everything now is so specialized, the economy is constantly changing and I cannot afford to do both which I think would be overkill. The things that I look for/avoid in a career:

1. autonomy- I don't like people that micromanage me or that hover over my shoulder, prefer to be my own boss.
2. fake people- I know they are everywhere but I cannot stand them, shallow, fake people get on my nerves
3. flexiblity- I think that I have this the most with teaching, I hurt my back and they actually let me sit down while I did my lessons, I worked in retail before this job and I was pretty much let go because of it.

So passion vs. options which do you think would put me in a better position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment