Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:04 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,244,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I went to a good school, I feel like filing a complaint as an alumni. It's ridiculous. Students should be getting more help in the career center. My school has connections and I don't feel like they are using them to the fullest extent. It's not even like I'm not open to relocating, but if I relocate, I want to make sure the job is worth it.
If it was Penn State... I can tell you why... (jk). I don't know what to tell you. It really sucks that colleges are screwing over their students like this. It makes me question whether it's really a "good school" if it can't help you get a job.

I could really go for a cobb salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,190,029 times
Quote:
It is pointless. What's the point of call them if I can do everything they are telling me to do on my own? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I went to a good school, I feel like filing a complaint as an alumni. It's ridiculous. Students should be getting more help in the career center. My school has connections and I don't feel like they are using them to the fullest extent. It's not even like I'm not open to relocating, but if I relocate, I want to make sure the job is worth it.

I never went to my college career center because I left the city as soon as I graduated. But i can imagine how pissed how I would be if I went there for assistance and couldn't get a job. I can see myself snapping and asking

what is the purpose of this career center

why did I even go to this school if the career center can't help put me in a position to get hired

Old 07-31-2012, 01:06 AM

644 posts, read 1,147,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If it was Penn State... I can tell you why... (jk). I don't know what to tell you. It really sucks that colleges are screwing over their students like this. It makes me question whether it's really a "good school" if it can't help you get a job.

I could really go for a cobb salad.
Yeah, the career counselors at my school love to brag about how they help people with jobs, but so many I know from my school didn't get their jobs based on the career counselors and some are struggling like I am.

I still question why I did I bother going to school. I could have went to trade school and called it a day. Oh yeah that's right, I believed the hype that when you go to school, you're going to make BIG money from older people.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I never went to my college career center because I left the city as soon as I graduated. But i can imagine how pissed how I would be if I went there for assistance and couldn't get a job. I can see myself snapping and asking

what is the purpose of this career center

why did I even go to this school if the career center can't help put me in a position to get hired
I feel like making a phone call and asking those questions. Obviously they haven't done that great of job placing students with jobs. It's not like I'm asking for a corporate job, but can't even get me a minimum wage job doing SOMETHING.

Then the school wants you to donate money for alumni relations...screw that.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Yeah, the career counselors at my school love to brag about how they help people with jobs, but so many I know from my school didn't get their jobs based on the career counselors and some are struggling like I am.

I still question why I did I bother going to school. I could have went to trade school and called it a day. Oh yeah that's right, I believed the hype that when you go to school, you're going to make BIG money from older people.
They probably just applied for the position like I did back in march. The college called me for a interview but I never went because I felt that from reading the job description I would be responsible for placing students in jobs and I don't have a job placement background so I told the HR person that I wouldn't be a good fit.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 AM
FBJ

Quote:
I feel like making a phone call and asking those questions. Obviously they haven't done that great of job placing students with jobs. It's not like I'm asking for a corporate job, but can't even get me a minimum wage job doing SOMETHING.

Then the school wants you to donate money for alumni relations...screw that.

All about that MONEY, sickening. I wonder do they take credit if you find a job on your own?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:18 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,244,484 times
Quote:

Well, I feel that choosing whether you go to college has to do more with what you want to do as a career than it does about making money. Unfortunately we can only make decisions based on the guidance and information we receive from those around us.

I'll admit, I had no choice in whether I was going to college and even where I was going to college. My parents told me I was going to college. They also told me where I would be going to college. They conveniently picked the closest 4-year university. They also told me I would be footing the bill for anything scholarships did not cover. By the time I was a senior in HS, both my parents were ill and I didn't have much of an argument of why I shouldn't go to the closest school. But in all of this, I was never informed about non-college options. It wasn't until I was halfway through college that I learned about trade-school options. While I had parental guidance... they conveniently only provided me with partial information of career paths. I think many students get stuck in this. Those who guide us don't provide us with all the available options.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
They probably just applied for the position like I did back in march. The college called me for a interview but I never went because I felt that from reading the job description I would be responsible for placing students in jobs and I don't have a job placement background so I told the HR person that I wouldn't be a good fit.
Quote:
All about that MONEY, sickening. I wonder do they take credit if you find a job on your own?
You have some background in counseling?

I don't know, but they should know it mostly falls on the student's shoulders. Unless the counselor got some connections in the organization with a manager, CEO, or the owner, I'm not sure how much they helped. It takes more than a resume and a cover letter to get in. You can have a wonderful resume, cover letter, and did great at the interview, but a person with connections could get in before you were considered. *shrugs*

They had job fairs on school grounds at my school I believe, but they were always during my class hours so I could never go. They should have job fairs on a day where you don't have to go to class because classes take up a lot of time during morning and afternoon hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Well, I feel that choosing whether you go to college has to do more with what you want to do as a career than it does about making money. Unfortunately we can only make decisions based on the guidance and information we receive from those around us.

I'll admit, I had no choice in whether I was going to college and even where I was going to college. My parents told me I was going to college. They also told me where I would be going to college. They conveniently picked the closest 4-year university. They also told me I would be footing the bill for anything scholarships did not cover. By the time I was a senior in HS, both my parents were ill and I didn't have much of an argument of why I shouldn't go to the closest school. But in all of this, I was never informed about non-college options. It wasn't until I was halfway through college that I learned about trade-school options. While I had parental guidance... they conveniently only provided me with partial information of career paths. I think many students get stuck in this. Those who guide us don't provide us with all the available options.
I was always told the lie since I was in high school, "If you do not choose to go to a 4 year university, you will be flipping burgers and doing as bad as a high school drop out." We need to stop feeding those lies to younger people and teach them more the dangers of getting into debt for going to a 4 year university. I know some who went to tech or only graduated from high school and they are doing ten times better than I am. Yeah I know some say don't take out loans, but some don't have a choice. I didn't at the time...and I had scholarships and grants by the way, but they didn't take care enough of the cost to go. Then I got pressure from my mother to apply for as much money as I could. I wanted to work during college, but I didn't have my license at the time to drive myself.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 AM

29,958 posts, read 25,085,073 times
Quote:
It is pointless. What's the point of call them if I can do everything they are telling me to do on my own? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Would you like them to pull a job out of their behinds for you??? What exactly do you expect them to do IF THERE ARE NO JOBS??? College was designed to give you the skills that employers demand, so you could go out and look for said job yourself. Obviously, that is a tricky proposition today, and every other 20-something has a college degree today as well. More competition and fewer jobs... Quite the dimema. Obviously, career counselors are going to have a very uphill battle...

Quote:
Sounds like any job is better than no job.

Quote:
So I';m trying to figure out what do they get paid to do?
College students are paying their salary. Ask them.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,184,019 times
why have you only been applying for 8 months? you should have started seriously job searching throughout your senior year in school when you had recruiters and resources on campus to help you. putting the job search off likely hurt you a lot. i would call your career center now and see if they can do anything to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment