Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you have to work overtime, but have a choice as to when to do it, when do you prefer to work the
Before regular working hours 7 31.82%
During lunch break 7 31.82%
After regular working hours 12 54.55%
On weekends (or other days off if you don't work a traditional Mon-Fri week) 4 18.18%
On holidays that your employer would normally be closed 5 22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:36 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,079,783 times

Advertisements

If you need to work overtime, but have a choice as to when to work it, when do you prefer to work it? Choose one of the options on this poll. My very strong preference is to stay late and work after working hours. I am a night person, so I am more productive later in the day. Since I hate getting up really early, I hate going to work early to work overtime. Unfortunately, my boss is a morning person, so he has more respect for the people who arrive early and work on weekends and holidays. Even a few times where I've stayed at work past midnight, I get criticized for "not working enough overtime".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 02:38 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,377,257 times
My preference? Never. It gets old really fast. I once worked a job where I was expected to put in a lot of overtime. I worked middle shift three days during the week, and alternating day and middle shift every Saturday and Sunday. However, they always ended up calling me to fill in for call offs on the other shifts. It was a nurse staffing agency, so someone had to be in the office or on call 24/7, including holidays. I'd get home at midnight after working my shift, only to be called at 6:00 a.m the next morning to be in "as soon as I could get there". If the answering service couldn't get ahold of the boss (the owner of the agency), they'd end up calling me. My DH was constantly angry at the calls. If my relief for the next shift would fail to show up or call off at the last minute, I would have to stay. I never got to see my family. The extra money didn't mean anything in the end - I became ill with pneumonia from being run down and not having enough rest, and the extra money went to the doctor (and missed work, as we did not have sick days) and babysitters. A few months before I quit that job, we got an answeirng machine and stopped taking their calls.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,449,512 times
I said before working hours. Otherwise, I essentially spend my entire day at the office and I don't prefer getting home around 7 or 8pm. By that time, I'm exhausted, want to eat dinner and go to bed. I rarely get anything done that I need to.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:12 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,704,610 times
Only when it's mandatory

Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM

34,168 posts, read 83,273,883 times
OT is about a spur of the moment emergency or it's a PLANNED strategy to avoid hiring.

The emergency situations you take as they come...
but the second should be done as part of a longer day (1-2hrs) 3-5 days per week.
NOT more than that or using up other days off.

Once the project (or busy season) is over...
the 4-6 people expected to do the work of an extra person revert to the base 5/40 .
(or get laid off)

Last edited by MrRational; 07-26-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,079,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I said before working hours. Otherwise, I essentially spend my entire day at the office and I don't prefer getting home around 7 or 8pm. By that time, I'm exhausted, want to eat dinner and go to bed. I rarely get anything done that I need to.
I'm the total opposite. If I get up earlier than usual, I am exhausted all day, reducing my productivity during the regular day. And it also forces me to go to bed earlier, further robbing me of my personal life. On the other hand, I work more efficiently after regular working hours. It does not impact my productivity during the regular work day. Since I rarely have major personal plans on weeknights, it minimally impacts my personal life. And it does not impact my sleep schedule.

Too bad my boss doesn't see it the way I do.

I really cannot relate at all to the people whose preference is to work the overtime on weekends or holidays. To the people who chose that: what is your reasoning?

Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,449,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I really cannot relate at all to the people whose preference is to work the overtime on weekends or holidays. To the people who chose that: what is your reasoning?
More money? Little to no social/personal lives?

The people that I've known to work holidays and such voluntarily are usually single and don't have much else going on in their personal lives that they would lose out to by working on the holidays. Sometimes, though, it's mandatory. Think retail that stays open on the holidays.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,372,033 times
Quote:
If you need to work overtime, but have a choice as to when to work it, when do you prefer to work it? Choose one of the options on this poll. My very strong preference is to stay late and work after working hours. I am a night person, so I am more productive later in the day. Since I hate getting up really early, I hate going to work early to work overtime. Unfortunately, my boss is a morning person, so he has more respect for the people who arrive early and work on weekends and holidays. Even a few times where I've stayed at work past midnight, I get criticized for "not working enough overtime".
It's pretty easy for me to work 30 mins earlier in the morning and bring my lunch and stay in. No sacrifice there!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,372,033 times
Quote:
I'm the total opposite. If I get up earlier than usual, I am exhausted all day, reducing my productivity during the regular day. And it also forces me to go to bed earlier, further robbing me of my personal life. On the other hand, I work more efficiently after regular working hours. It does not impact my productivity during the regular work day. Since I rarely have major personal plans on weeknights, it minimally impacts my personal life. And it does not impact my sleep schedule.

Too bad my boss doesn't see it the way I do.

I agree with your last statement. I would assume folks who choose those options are simply very bored, have no families or really adore their jobs...

Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,233,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
More money? Little to no social/personal lives?

The people that I've known to work holidays and such voluntarily are usually single and don't have much else going on in their personal lives that they would lose out to by working on the holidays. Sometimes, though, it's mandatory. Think retail that stays open on the holidays.
This definitely isn't true. I strongly prefer to come in on a weekend instead of staying late. I get dramatically more done working from 6am-noon saturday and sunday than I do staying late. Inevitably, there are other people in the office if I stay late and I spend half of my time answering questions/helping them. If I come in on a weekend, I can work uninterrupted.

Also, having from noon on for family/friends is hardly 'not having a life'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment