Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:37 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,244,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You sure know how to motivate someone before they start their first job.

Good god...
What I just said could have saved someone from making a complete and total career damaging mistake. However, since it wasnt rosy and positive, it clearly shouldnt have been offered.

Good god......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 01:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,265,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
What I just said could have saved someone from making a complete and total career damaging mistake. However, since it wasnt rosy and positive, it clearly shouldnt have been offered.

Good god......
What you said did nothing but discourage someone excited about starting the first real job of their life. You should be ashamed. And a 'career damaging mistake'? If a person cannot turn a job they get into a positive and career building experience, then that person isn't trying very hard on the job.

Please try posting a SINGLE positive or encouraging thing on this forum. Just once.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:38 PM

884 posts, read 1,179,020 times
I have experienced the same thing, especially because generally speaking, I like the job I am leaving behind. I think your feelings are normal. For me the first few weeks is the most awkward time where it feels like I won't get used to it, I'm doing it all wrong, and I made a huge mistake. But that passes. You have to hang on past that and then (for me anyway) after a month or so I am much more comfortable. If it will help calm your nerves, take the advice previous posters gave to get more familiar with the company before you start, but know that a lot of times you can only get so much out of their websites (like with college campuses--you have to go there first to get the true picture). I do think it's a good thing to do though.

Congratulations OP!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:14 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,380,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSender6000 View Post
Thanks for all the tips and commendations, guys. It’s nice to see I’m not the only one who has felt this way. I will definitely spend some time learning more about the company and the people I will be working with before my start date. And I’m not suffering from any feelings of regret at taking the position. I currently work part-time as a secretary and was doing so while taking night classes to finish my degree. I guess it’s just the shock of shifting from something so small to something so big, for example, pulling in roughly $800 a month at my current job vs. nearly $900 a week at my new job. Thankfully I do have at least one professional job under my belt that has prepared me for this moment, but I still worry I won’t live up to it, even though I can’t wait to get out there and get started.
being nervous and wiggly is totally normal. In fact, if there wasn't that aspect going on with your feelings, I would worry. It's an entire life change, so it makes sense. I worry when I apply for other jobs if I will get offered something above my head, and would I take it. if you are at all intuitive, listen to that.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,275,385 times
OP: Congratulations! You'll do just fine and its good that you have some "flutters", its perfectly normal and would be odd if you didn't. Remember - they picked YOU out of what I understand is a very competitive job market. You obviously have your act together and offer an attractive package to the employer. Remember, most job skills are acquired OTJ (on the job) and all it takes is an open mind and dedication, go for it! Best of luck.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:55 AM

327 posts, read 770,350 times
Finding a great paying job that's directly related to your major in the city you want and you're feeling the blues? Man... Those are just jitters. You are set for life right now. Go there and take the company by the reigns and show them what you've got. Where I'm working is anything but all of that. I was just so anxious just to get a job offer that I accepted it right off the bat, and ugh... Anway, congrats! Tell us what the first day is like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment