Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:00 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,593,553 times

Advertisements

Me again.

In my never-ending quest for some sort of career or way to escape retail conditions, I stumbled across an ad in my hometown for realtors. They offer training but the position is 100% commission.

Now, I understand that that really sucks. But what I'm asking you is if you have had any experience with job postings like this? I emailed the person expressing interest, but I'm a little concerned it could be a scam of some kind. Are there really 100% commission realtor positions out there that are legitimate?

I'm really unfamiliar with real estate, but I've been kind-of/sort-of gaining interest in it as I get older and actually look around for houses I'd like to buy someday. I wouldn't be doing this for the rest of my life, but it seems that if I could sell a few houses at 100% commission I could make more than I do for $11 an hour in retail.

Am I way off the mark on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,172,982 times
I imagine the vast majority of real estate agents are 100% commission based.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:19 PM

13,006 posts, read 18,928,755 times
100% commission? That is fantastic. Most real estate agents have to split the commission with another agent. And after that 50%, have to pay various business expenses, so it might be 25%.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 79,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Me again.

......I stumbled across an ad in my hometown for realtors. They offer training but the position is 100% commission.

Uhmm...yah...this is going to turn out to be a pyramid scheme.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,482,641 times
Most real estate positions are 100% commissioned, opposed to hourly. The commission itself would still have a split between agent and Realtor plus whatever office, marketing, etc fees are tacked on.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,172,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
100% commission? That is fantastic. Most real estate agents have to split the commission with another agent. And after that 50%, have to pay various business expenses, so it might be 25%.
I think he meant that pay was 100% based on sales, not that the agent gets to keep 100%.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 PM

491 posts, read 2,291,700 times
Real estate agents, as well as many sales jobs, are commission-only. Commission-only jobs can be a fantastic opportunity for the right person. If you are confident in yourself, are a people-person, a good communicator, self-motivated and somewhat organized, you may want to consider such a position. You can make a lot more money and be on track for becoming a manager or starting your own business. A successful sales career can open a lot of doors.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,400,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
Real estate agents, as well as many sales jobs, are commission-only. Commission-only jobs can be a fantastic opportunity for the right person. If you are confident in yourself, are a people-person, a good communicator, self-motivated and somewhat organized, you may want to consider such a position. You can make a lot more money and be on track for becoming a manager or starting your own business. A successful sales career can open a lot of doors.
Also with confidence the person needs to be willing and able to handle fluctuations in pay. A good friend is a realtor (and yes it is commission only) and when he closes a deal, the money is coming in all over the place. But in the next week, or 2, if no deal closes, no money is coming in. He has to be willing and able to budget and to understand that one check may be huge, but it needs to pay the bills until the next one. Some people have a hard time dealing with not making a "steady" income.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:53 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times
Realtors who work hard can do very well. But it's hard hanging on waiting for the money to come in. What do you live on while you are developing clientele and trying to sell those first few homes?

Old 06-30-2012, 07:13 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,487,367 times
If you have ever heard of the 80/20 rule, in real estate sales it is closer to 95/5. A few years ago a friend at a title company let me glance at the list of top real estate closers in the Phoenix area. This was during the boom years and what stood out was that a small handful of agents had the bulk of the sales. The people making money were making a ton of money the other 90% or so were just plugging away with a sale or two a month if lucky.

If you hustle and come up with the right angle it is possible to do very well in real estate. But if all you do is wait for your phone to ring with a friend or two that wants to look at houses, stay in retail. Best bet is to see if one of the busier, more successful agents is looking to add an assistant to their team. The really successful agents often have 1-2 assistants doing the grunt work for a piece of the commission and a chance to learn how to sell a house..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment