Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:40 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,420 times

Advertisements

Okay, long story short, I have decided that I no longer wish to pursue a college degree for many reasons I do not want to get into. I have two jobs that pay above minimum wage (a little over 20k/yr). I am interested in pursuing a career in writing, but we all know how stable writing is...right?

So I need some ideas as to what I can do career-wise that won't require a college degree. I am hoping for a job that pays around 40k/yr (if possible) that doesn't require more than a high school diploma or a two-year degree.

Where should I go from here? I currently live with my mother who thinks I'm a failure at life (and she is probably right), but she says she will let me stay with her. I have some money saved up, no student loans, no children, single, and I would like to travel the world.

And please, no comments urging me to go back to school. I've seen and heard about so many stories about unemployed and grossly under-employed college graduates who make less money than I do with just my high school diploma.

Any career suggestions or advice would be wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 02:46 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times
What are your two jobs? If it is retail or restaurant, bust your behind and get into the management training program. You'll put in a few years of hard work and lots of OT, but you'll start netting 40K. Just make sure to check what that particular company's education requirements are for management positions. Some will need a degree, most won't. If you chose, they will probably reimburse you to go back to school in a few years.

My friend was working at Starbucks. They have a 40 hours week, great benefits and not a crazy schedule. At the end of his 10 years there, he was making close to 90K. It was a hard job, lots of politics, but he enjoyed it for that time.

I have another friend that works at Panera, she's a store manager, makes about 80K with bonuses, no degree.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:48 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Default Perhaps...

Learning a trade like many in earlier generations would be good. You should def cultivate some skill as travel is not free and you need basics at the least like food, clothing, shelter.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Okay, long story short, I have decided that I no longer wish to pursue a college degree for many reasons I do not want to get into. I have two jobs that pay above minimum wage (a little over 20k/yr). I am interested in pursuing a career in writing, but we all know how stable writing is...right?

So I need some ideas as to what I can do career-wise that won't require a college degree. I am hoping for a job that pays around 40k/yr (if possible) that doesn't require more than a high school diploma or a two-year degree.

Where should I go from here? I currently live with my mother who thinks I'm a failure at life (and she is probably right), but she says she will let me stay with her. I have some money saved up, no student loans, no children, single, and I would like to travel the world.

And please, no comments urging me to go back to school. I've seen and heard about so many stories about unemployed and grossly under-employed college graduates who make less money than I do with just my high school diploma.

Any career suggestions or advice would be wonderful.
I just want to point out that I HOPE that isn't why you are dropping out. Just because you hear people with diplomas make less than you and you feel you are doing well, does not mean you should drop out. The whole point of a diploma is for long term returns, not short term.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
What are your two jobs? If it is retail or restaurant, bust your behind and get into the management training program. You'll put in a few years of hard work and lots of OT, but you'll start netting 40K. Just make sure to check what that particular company's education requirements are for management positions. Some will need a degree, most won't. If you chose, they will probably reimburse you to go back to school in a few years.

My friend was working at Starbucks. They have a 40 hours week, great benefits and not a crazy schedule. At the end of his 10 years there, he was making close to 90K. It was a hard job, lots of politics, but he enjoyed it for that time.

I have another friend that works at Panera, she's a store manager, makes about 80K with bonuses, no degree.
I work as a Patient Care Associate at one hospital (11.13 after differentials) and a sitter at another hospital (base rate is 10.80/hr but with both differentials, I can make 14.67/hr).

Old 06-28-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I just want to point out that I HOPE that isn't why you are dropping out. Just because you hear people with diplomas make less than you and you feel you are doing well, does not mean you should drop out. The whole point of a diploma is for long term returns, not short term.
No, it isn't the reason, but there is some truth to that statement.

College isn't that golden ticket to the good life anymore.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
I dropped out of college, but I also had certifications and experience in a trade to fall back on. Had I not had those, I would have pushed myself to get the degree. Having nothing to fall back on is almost entirely a dead end unless you're considerably young and are willing to start on the bottom somewhere. I would recommend thinking twice. I'm not saying the degree will net you a great job right off the bat, but it is SOMETHING that can differentiate you from everyone else.

OTOH, there are decent technical and trade programs that are worth looking into. Pick your flavor and do the research, you might find something that tickles your fancy. I would be the last person to suggest a 4 year degree is a must. But I will say, any job that is going to pay somewhat of a decent wage is going to require you have some related experience, or at least the mindset for the job and the ability to learn. Employers have little patience for those that can't at least achieve some level of productivity and proficiency on day one.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,739 times
If you don't think you can work and go to college, then go ahead and drop out and find work. Maybe in a few years, you can return to college with a better idea of what you would like to do with your life.

I would drop out if I was in debt over 10K -15K (student loan debt) and my grades suffered (might possibly flunk out). I think if you have a trade, even better. College isn't for everyone.

Keep in mind, however, it is very hard to return to college and work full-time, there are drawbacks with managing your time to do this. The good part is, when you are a few years older, you might have a better idea of what you would like to do with your career.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:45 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,545 times
Moderator cut: ... Nah, but college def is not what it used to be. It is not the be all and end all route for finding reasonable employment. In fact I would say more times than not these days that it can be a complete waste of time.

I would say get into a technical field and see if that works out for ya. Beyond that I would say try and work your way up to a management position in retail/restaurant.

Last edited by Marka; 06-29-2012 at 08:41 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I am interested in pursuing a career in writing, but we all know how stable writing is...right?
I'm in the process of pursuing a writing career with a degree and about 96% of all writing job ads I've seen require at least a bachelor degree in journalism, English or communications. However, I have seen some that don't require a degree, one of those is Groupon in Chicago. If you have a knack for using "witty" (they call it witty, it'd not really witty) humor, you could try to apply there. But if you're seriously interested in a career in writing, it would be smart to get that degree.

You could also try freelance writing, but that is very hit or miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment