Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 PM

16 posts, read 141,376 times

Advertisements

This summer and last I've been working at an amusement park. My primary job is to answer phones, answer any guest questions on rides and attractions, and book any dining reservations including birthday packages. Last summer I really had a blast. There was a great staff in the offices at that time as well as very attentive supervisors. This summer, however, I feel things aren't so organized and communication is non existant.

When I returned to my job late last month I was introduced to new staff members and new supervisors. Many people from last year did not return or were promoted to higher positions. Everyone seemed nice enough and I assumed that this would again be a great summer, but so far it's not proving to be.

I arrived for my first day of work about three weeks ago now. At orientation a few weeks ago when I met all the new staff I was told I would be retrained my first week because there were a number of new attractions and a good deal of new information to learn. Instead, I was given a sizable packet containing the new information and was basically on my own. It was one of the new supervisors job to train me and it appears they slacked on this duty. The old information came back to me within a week, but I was stuggling with the new information. I'm at the point now that I'm starting to get a hang of the new information. I don't mind teaching myself some of the new information and I don't expect to have someone hovering and spoon feeding me the whole day. I am an adult capable of a lot of things, but I have a problem being told I would be given necessary training by someone and they didn't deliver.

I tried to speak to my supervisors about this, but they always give me a bs excuse for why they can't talk at the moment when they are just sitting at there desk fiddling with their personal cell phones. Finally I did talk with one of them about the training and they simply told me, "We figured you could handle everything." Worst of all it seems like everyone had been retrained, but me and one or two others. Even people who were here last year were given training, so I still wonder why a few of us were not. It would have made these past few weeks a lot less stressful. As a result of given little to no training I find myself asking a lot of questions to my supervisors who, if they can be bothered to stop playing on their phones for a minute of their time, seem annoyed at any question I ask. I'd rather ask a lot of questions and have the right answers than give guests the wrong information. The packet of information I was has all of the basic details of the rides, but a lot of answers can't be found there such as health restictions on rides, which is very important information to know. This all stems back to lackluster training and laziness of my supervisors. I'm learning a lot of things as I go along, but this could have been avoided if I was given proper training in the first place.

Myself and others in my position are having trouble with the communication between other office members. The head office girl especially who deals with guest services. We had a situation last week where a ride needed to shut down for repairs at a little after eleven in the morning and would be down until that evening. When I came in at eight that morning I asked if everything was running as I usually do and I was told everything was in order for the day. People called about this particular ride, as it is new and popular, and I told them that it was open all day. Unknowingly to myself and two others in my position that day the ride had to be closed for repairs as I said. The head office girl apparently knew this when it happened at eleven and didn't bother telling us. She comes into the reservation room around four, by now about five hours has passed since the close of the ride, fuming because angry customers came to guest services complaining that they were told when they called that the ride was open. I explained to her that we were sorry, but had no idea that the ride was down because no one had informed us. She looked at me like I just asked what two plus two was and acted like this was common knowledge, rolling her eyes and storming out of the room. I own up to mistakes when I'm wrong and take responsibility, but I do think I was in the right here. I'm not psychic, so I need to be informed when rides are down to give guests accurate information. I suggest to her that we have a radio in the reservation office to be notified of things like this, but she acted like they couldn't spare one extra radio.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do as far as this job goes. It seems like all the horrors of the typical real life work you always here about have hit my work place. I'm staying this season at least because I need the money for this next year of college, but if things don't improve I will not return next year. I hate to complain about my job when so many people are trying to find work this summer, I'm very fortunate, but I feel I'm being mistreated. Should I take this to higher administration if things do not improve? I'm trying to come up with ideas to solve issues in our work place and be proactive, but I'm either shot down or ignored. I apologize if I'm coming off as whiny, I don't mean to be. I'm just incredibly frustrated and in need of any advice and ideas that could be useful. I'm very confused at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment