Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:58 PM

11,395 posts, read 9,317,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
You have to be willing to take even the most menial of jobs to build your resume back up. Where did that 10 years go and what did you do? Were you home raising kids? Bad credit shouldn't have anything to do with how employable you are; never heard of that one. Everyone blames the economy and I am sure that is part of the problem, however, try lowering your standards a little to at least get back out there. If you are seeking a high power, high paying job I am afraid there are very few. Try working retail for a start..you might like it. One of the best jobs I ever had was waitressing at a Pizza Hut years ago. Loved the contact with the customers and the tips were amazing back then. Good luck!
I can't believe no one commented on this close to two week old post.

You must not have been in the job market looking for quite some time because this happens a lot. I did a quick search and I found many references to back up the fact that most employers do check credit. Here is one:

Why do employers care about your credit? - CNN.com

I actually thought the number was above the 60% being reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:00 PM

76 posts, read 91,209 times
for those of us that have lowered our standards in the job search, even 7 or 8 dollars an hour job have very high-standards for who they hire

Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 AM

640 posts, read 1,216,061 times
Dude........why do you keep making new accounts? Are you getting banned or something?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 PM

76 posts, read 91,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Dude........why do you keep making new accounts? Are you getting banned or something?
yes, obviously

Old 07-01-2012, 10:52 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,643,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
It would be nice to work a minimum wage job, but it is impossible to get hired. You can fill out applications all day, but you will get nowhere. The managers will just give you some snarky attitude, or blow you off, same as the employees. Or you will find yourself doing those online applications with the personality tests, and then you make a mistake and you can't put in a new app until 4 more months.

It is not me who has a problem, it is this society, and the system it has.

Agreed.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:01 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,529,566 times
The system benefits from brainwashing you that you're unemployable. Here's why.

1)You and many others become less competition for the employed to worry about.

2)The people who work at governmental or non profit "aid" programs that are supposed to help you get employment like Workforce1, Seedco, Goodwill, and others are scavenging and exploiting you. You're just a number from whose presence they profit handsomely. They have no liveable wage jobs or training that will find you such. It's all a shark oil sales routine. These agencies listed above and others not listed have been consistently in the news for faking numbers and stealing the money given as government grants meant to help the unemployed find suitable work. It's a sham.

Don't believe you are unemployable. If you do, you will become unemployable.

The mind is the first thing. Then comes everything else.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 AM

19 posts, read 14,067 times
I consider myself to be unemployable only because as I have gone through the years, and many skilled jobs, I have become wary of the fact that if I am not willing to be unfairly exploited and lay down by my dish, most jobs are just soul crushing and nearly unbearable. My last job was with a non-profit, it was by far the most soul crushing waste of time I have ever experienced. There is something called fair, which is what nearly everyone has forgotten, now it seems everyone is out to take advantage of one another. That is fine, but only to a point, You sign away nearly all of your rights when you fill out and sign the damned application before you are even considered for employment at most places. Read the damned contract hidden in the application, it's right there in front of you if they grant you the time to read it, and frequently that isn't even really allowed considering some situations.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:58 AM

19 posts, read 14,067 times
Yup, and now it begins!. I just wandered around the web for awhile, looking for work at home opportunities and searching for jobs locally which didn't require too much investment by myself, (like commuting 70 miles 1 way and arriving at work in a virtual hypnotic driving "stupor")..And I am getting bombed with phone calls and emails wanting me to make an up-front investment for what really amounts to only information about online/work-at-home jobs.. It amounts to the same thing as happens when you put in a paper application, you share all kinds of info you would not normally share with a complete stranger, and they use it for something other than the reason you shared it for. This entire world is a scam to harvest any little bit of benefit from you in any way that can be found, and usually at your expense...

Old 05-31-2013, 02:57 PM

503 posts, read 1,173,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbguy View Post
Yup, and now it begins!. I just wandered around the web for awhile, looking for work at home opportunities and searching for jobs locally which didn't require too much investment by myself, (like commuting 70 miles 1 way and arriving at work in a virtual hypnotic driving "stupor")..And I am getting bombed with phone calls and emails wanting me to make an up-front investment for what really amounts to only information about online/work-at-home jobs.. It amounts to the same thing as happens when you put in a paper application, you share all kinds of info you would not normally share with a complete stranger, and they use it for something other than the reason you shared it for. This entire world is a scam to harvest any little bit of benefit from you in any way that can be found, and usually at your expense...
Don't forget those "uncapped commission, make over $100,000 in your first year!" sales jobs like JobSpring Partners (they also go by like 50 other names since their reputation is so bad.) I'd rather work at the mall than fight to be the door to door salesman of 2013... if the mall would call me back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment