Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 11:24 PM

22 posts, read 62,119 times

Advertisements

Is that I can't be who I so want, and invision myself, to be. We can't be who we want to be.

Of course, I would like to have money to afford a house, start saving for the possibility of children and be able to travel. But most of all, I would love to be able to do what I really want to do. This is most important to me, as I have quite a wealthy upringing. However, I was brought up very modestly, having worked minimum wage jobs for long hours just to be able to "work". Since looking for work for the past few months, i've realised that, more important to me than money is the ability to do something that I am truly passionate about.

But, for some people, even that seems like an impossibility.

Now, I have a side job and I want to be a public relations professional that allows me to both mix my expertise in business and creative thinking. Im fresh out of college, with little experience so I can't exactly start up my own firm.

Anyone else have these struggles with identity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 01:44 PM

878 posts, read 1,654,767 times
I'm quite happy with this economy. I work for a company that supplies parts for Boeing.

Lion Air commits to buy 5 Boeing 787s | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

Aerospace is a good field to be in right now... $22,000,000,000 is a lot of job security.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:50 PM

29,850 posts, read 24,953,870 times
This is not a consequence of the economy, this is life. We all have dreams, but they don't always converge with reality. At some point, you just have to find a position in life where you can be useful. It may not be exactly what you wanted to do, or what you envisioned yourself doing, but talk to some of the older folks and find out how they began their careers. A lot of them got there by accident, and out of necessity of the economy.

Me? I'm relatively happy with my position, and life in general. At this point, I'm working for a small order/niche market/repair work job shop. We specialize in order quantities under > 20 pieces, as well as large repair work and die repair. It's some of the most challenging work I have ever done, which is why I love it so much. I learn something new every day. I earn a comfortable living, and feel about as secure as the next guy in my career/profession/job. I truly love my work, and have a lot of pride in what I do. Could I be earning more? Yea, and I have. Unfortunately, I have found that with those better paying jobs, comes more added stress, more responsibilities, more hours, more nagging superiors and customers. I'm much happier working for a bit less, but doing a job I love. I also enjoy a great work/life balance, which is something I have learned the value of.

The economy picture sounds bad, and I believe it is. Strange thing is, all I ever hear about in my line of work is customers complaining they cannot find anyone to subcontract their work out to. Every place in this area is behind schedule, and dealing with backlogs stretching 6 months to a year. I just talked to a customer Thursday who is now considering trying to get companies overseas to start subcontracting work out to because no one in America is capable of doing the work. To me, this sounds like job security.

They have been trying for the past month to add another employee to the payroll. The problem is, the only guys that can do the work around here are all retired, and don't want to work 40 hours a week. The younger guys in my experience cannot do the work, and don't want to learn. Another tally for job security I suppose. I just wish it didn't add more work volume to my plate, cause I really don't want to go back to a 60 hour a week work schedule.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:15 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,798 times
Andy, I've seen you mention wanting to start your own business - sounds like the makings of one in the problem and scenario you laid out above.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,529,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This is not a consequence of the economy, this is life. We all have dreams, but they don't always converge with reality. At some point, you just have to find a position in life where you can be useful. It may not be exactly what you wanted to do, or what you envisioned yourself doing, but talk to some of the older folks and find out how they began their careers. A lot of them got there by accident, and out of necessity of the economy.

Me? I'm relatively happy with my position, and life in general. At this point, I'm working for a small order/niche market/repair work job shop. We specialize in order quantities under > 20 pieces, as well as large repair work and die repair. It's some of the most challenging work I have ever done, which is why I love it so much. I learn something new every day. I earn a comfortable living, and feel about as secure as the next guy in my career/profession/job. I truly love my work, and have a lot of pride in what I do. Could I be earning more? Yea, and I have. Unfortunately, I have found that with those better paying jobs, comes more added stress, more responsibilities, more hours, more nagging superiors and customers. I'm much happier working for a bit less, but doing a job I love. I also enjoy a great work/life balance, which is something I have learned the value of.

The economy picture sounds bad, and I believe it is. Strange thing is, all I ever hear about in my line of work is customers complaining they cannot find anyone to subcontract their work out to. Every place in this area is behind schedule, and dealing with backlogs stretching 6 months to a year. I just talked to a customer Thursday who is now considering trying to get companies overseas to start subcontracting work out to because no one in America is capable of doing the work. To me, this sounds like job security.

They have been trying for the past month to add another employee to the payroll. The problem is, the only guys that can do the work around here are all retired, and don't want to work 40 hours a week. The younger guys in my experience cannot do the work, and don't want to learn. Another tally for job security I suppose. I just wish it didn't add more work volume to my plate, cause I really don't want to go back to a 60 hour a week work schedule.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:51 PM

29,850 posts, read 24,953,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTN View Post
Andy, I've seen you mention wanting to start your own business - sounds like the makings of one in the problem and scenario you laid out above.
Then I would have to say goodbye to work/life balance. Every boss/owner I've talked with today... "Twice the work for half the pay". Glad someone is willing to do it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment