Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:29 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,022,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Same in most trades. You furnish most of the tools except any expendables. Sometimes, it's the toolbox and the amount of tools in it that can help determine your worth, but of course you must know and understand their applications and do so efficiently. Personally, I feel such an uphill battle is pushing a lot of the smarter ones out, which is fine for most places. They like to have 1 high paid guy surrounded by a loose haggle of $10/hr monkeys. Neither party is really happy. The expensive guy would rather not work with a bunch of degenerates or worse, and it would make his life easier to have a well rounded workforce along his side. With inflation so high and ground level wages so low, I don't think I would be too fond of the idea of paying so much for tooling either.
Exactly. either way I would have to be an idiot to stay at any automotive shop. They basically take your money. I could make much more money on my own.

The only difference between me and them its the customer base and marketing power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 07:16 AM

79 posts, read 111,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Exactly. either way I would have to be an idiot to stay at any automotive shop. They basically take your money. I could make much more money on my own.
So whats the problem? Go do it.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,022,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueler View Post
So whats the problem? Go do it.
Your right.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,529,133 times
dealership are terrible. Especially flat rate and your the new guy. They know to give you the crappy bad pay flat rate jobs. I would look for a private shop. My husband is a top notch tech. 25 years and to be honest the things you need to learn now with how much cars have advanced in electronics, computers, all the tech crap its not a good career. Just think how much plumbing has changed compared to cars in 20 years. There is really no union either, I would be a plumber!!!! Its not that hard to figure out a few pipes compared to an automobile and just thing what the next 20 years will bring to how cars will advance with all this safety and navigation stuff. You need to be a genius and have million dollars in tools!!!! Be a plumber!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:28 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,459,433 times
If you jump from trade to trade in the same area, the wage difference won't be big. The real difference is regional. Say, in a small non-booming region all trades get 12-20 a hour. In a booming place (or a geographically remote place) the same trades get 30-50 an hour. That's what happens in Alberta, where the lack of skilled oil trades raise the wage levels of all the other trades. The auto technician wold make 30 at entry level. What are booming or remote areas in USA? - the oil fields? Alaska?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment