Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times

Advertisements

Is anyone happy out there in the working world anymore? It seems like a very very small percentage of people are. Companies don't want to pay their workers anything (but they expect a lot) then on top of that they want to give really small worthless raises like 2 percent. Then they play the temp game with a lot of people using the carrot on a stick strategy. Meanwhile the temp worker has no benefits, no paid holidays, nothing. Seems like there is very little opportunity at most companies but the higher ups will try to tell you if you work hard you'll move up in the company and you'll be oh so appreciated (more carrot on a stick stuff). Ok why don't they show it? Action speaks louder than words. It's like the same thing no matter what company you work for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Than don't work for them. I have never worked for "corporate America", and by the sounds of it, I'm not missing much. No wonder they can get away with paying so little... So many chasing so few opportunities. They can pay nothing and people will still line up for one of them jobs in a big tall building...

Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Is anyone happy out there in the working world anymore? .

Yes.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
It is not the same no matter what company you work for. Like anything else, there is good and bad.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,638 times
Quote:
Is anyone happy out there in the working world anymore? It seems like a very very small percentage of people are. Companies don't want to pay their workers anything (but they expect a lot) then on top of that they want to give really small worthless raises like 2 percent. Then they play the temp game with a lot of people using the carrot on a stick strategy. Meanwhile the temp worker has no benefits, no paid holidays, nothing. Seems like there is very little opportunity at most companies but the higher ups will try to tell you if you work hard you'll move up in the company and you'll be oh so appreciated (more carrot on a stick stuff). Ok why don't they show it? Action speaks louder than words. It's like the same thing no matter what company you work for.
Exactly. What theses companies want is something for nothing. They want to pay you 9$/hr + no bennies and then they want you to come into work and act all professional, hard worker etc. i'm sorry but that stuff is extra. If you want me to go above and beyond then you better be prepared to pay. 9$/hr is just the basic service - come into work and do the job (at a bare minimum level).

I see some people working all hard for their little 9$/hr. I just laugh at these people. Suckers.

Quote:
Seems like there is very little opportunity at most companies but the higher ups will try to tell you if you work hard you'll move up in the company and you'll be oh so appreciated
Spot on. They use those techniques because THEY WORK. Idiots actually believe it. They don't do the math. Honestly, if there are 100 workers and 2 well paid managers then the chances of you, "moving up" is pretty much 0%. Those managers aren't going to leave.

If you are working one of these terrible jobs. Just do the bare minimum so you don't get fired. In the mean time, focus on other methods of making money. Small business, different job etc.

At the end of the day, these companies do this because they know their workers are EASILY replaceable. Just look at all those job fairs where they have hundreds of people lining up so they, "might" get a job. Companies see that and say, "why the hell are we paying 11$/hr for a worker when we can hire one of those losers over there at the job fair for 8$/hr PART TIME no bennies."

Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
I tried it for 6 months as a lowly temp. I couldn't stand the backstabbing, corporate-speak, the over-achievers, incompetent management, communication via IMs and being sat in a dingy and depressing cubicle. I ended up walking out to save what's left of my sanity. Fortunately I have my old job to go back to, which is not at a corporate type firm and where the office is open office / relaxed.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:35 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
I see some people working all hard for their little 9$/hr. I just laugh at these people. Suckers.
And when they realize they are complete tools, we get these baffoons...

Old 05-23-2012, 05:40 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Yes. Very few.
There, I fixed that for ya.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:55 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
I think 90% aren't. I've worked for money hungry, unethical aholes. I believe my future in corporate America is grim, and unless I come up with some miracle business idea, thats the life I'll have. There will be no social security, so I'll be working for jerks until I'm 80, if I make it that long.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Exactly - then quit and start your own business. Ah - yes, and this is where the backlash starts with "Oh boy, I hate it when people say that. Do you know how hard it is to start your own business?" or "yea, and how am I supposed to do that?". In essence, most of us know how hard/risky it is to run a business. But everyone seems to be an expert in telling others how to do it.

Let's not beat around the bush here. In the working world, I'd say that 95% are basically trying to better themselves financially. There are very few that will put others in front of them (and no, the billionaire philanthropists aren't' either. They've already made it to the point where they will always be ahead, so they're just sharing their wealth).

The guy that isn't willing to pay more for a job.. well, he's not much different than the person that is only going to do the minimum to maintain said job. In essence, they're both trying to get the most out of their investment. And both will argue that if the other side just gives a bit... they will do more in return.

Its basically a negotiation. And usually those with leverage comes out on top. As employees, our biggest negotiation factor is what we can bring to the table (experience, skills, network of contacts etc.). But it also takes time and opportunity to accumulate that....

There are those that plan ahead make the best of those opportunities; there are those that simply want to reap the immediate benefits; and there are those that simply don't have a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment