Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:38 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,047,563 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an overnight job..so I figure the best way to increase my chances is to go after jobs that require certifications so I won't be competing with everyone for the jobs that require no certs.

So what are some jobs that you can become quickly certified in and not to costly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 PM

12,139 posts, read 23,498,832 times
If meaningful certs were quick and didn't cost much, everyone would have them.

What do you consider to be "quick and not costly"?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If meaningful certs were quick and didn't cost much, everyone would have them.

What do you consider to be "quick and not costly"?
Like a security guard cert.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,337,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Like a security guard cert.
commissioned or non-commissioned? As far as I know, you dont need one if your not carrying a gun.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
commissioned or non-commissioned? As far as I know, you dont need one if your not carrying a gun.
I'm going after the armed security guard cert.

I'm an expert when it comes to guns. Getting the cert will be a piece of cake.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,088,609 times
Looking for a quick and easy route is sure to bring sub-par results and future complaining about the economy and America.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:31 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,544,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Aren't you in Texas? You need a non-commissioned/unarmed card here.

To the OP, if you want to make yourself more attractive for security guard work (not that it's really necessary), baton, handcuff, and OC spray certifications are quick and cheap; but an armed guard card is usually required as a prerequisite.

Pharmacy technician if you have a lot of time to devote to studying. Taking a course is not required; many people self-study for the test. I don't know how much it costs though.

A jailer, but you usually have to be hired by a government agency or a private prison company first before you can either attend a short training program or sit for the exam after receiving on-the-job training. A lot of private prison companies will hire you without certification and will train you to sit for the exam. It's easy to get in because their standards are even lower than that of security companies.

COMPTIA A+ certification is over $200 and many people self-study for this. It might get you an entry-level job as a help desk technician.

I knew someone who took a child development associate course for certification. I think it was only 6 weeks. This is applicable for daycare work, which pays about as much as a fast food restaurant.

EMT. I've seen some training programs that are only a couple of months. Some more condensed programs can be completed in a few weeks.

Optician. These are the people who dispense prescription glasses and contact lenses. You can self-study for the national exam. I don't know about Connecticut, but in Texas, state registration is voluntary.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post

To the OP, if you want to make yourself more attractive for security guard work (not that it's really necessary), baton, handcuff, and OC spray certifications are quick and cheap; but an armed guard card is usually required as a prerequisite.

Pharmacy technician if you have a lot of time to devote to studying. Taking a course is not required; many people self-study for the test. I don't know how much it costs though.

A jailer, but you usually have to be hired by a government agency or a private prison company first before you can either attend a short training program or sit for the exam after receiving on-the-job training. A lot of private prison companies will hire you without certification and will train you to sit for the exam. It's easy to get in because their standards are even lower than that of security companies.

COMPTIA A+ certification is over $200 and many people self-study for this. It might get you an entry-level job as a help desk technician.

I knew someone who took a child development associate course for certification. I think it was only 6 weeks. This is applicable for daycare work, which pays about as much as a fast food restaurant.

EMT. I've seen some training programs that are only a couple of months. Some more condensed programs can be completed in a few weeks.

Optician. These are the people who dispense prescription glasses and contact lenses. You can self-study for the national exam. I don't know about Connecticut, but in Texas, state registration is voluntary.

Thanks for the information I'm going to check all this stuff out.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 AM

30,157 posts, read 25,282,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Looking for a quick and easy route is sure to bring sub-par results and future complaining about the economy and America.
Well, the glorified 4 year degree route that the government has been trumping isn't working out so well for many people these days. As Albert Einstein once said, "insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."

So if someone want to go get certified in something they may be interested in, using their own hard earned money, not only would I not discourage them, but I would strongly encourage them to do so. We already have a ballooning national debt partly because of the the flooded go to college route. And there are plenty of certifications that can lead to good honest paying jobs down the line. You actually have to put in a pretty darned good work day for many of those jobs though, not everyone can meet their employer half way on that end of the bargain. That's the test of resolve, as getting certified is often the easy part.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:26 AM

126 posts, read 425,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post

Ignore EMT and COMPTIA A+. A+ isn't worth the paper it's written on. Many employers will make you "Obtain" the certification post hire, but it won't get you through an interview. Unless you've got a good working knowledge of operating systems and computers, i'd leave this one alone.

EMT certs are useful some places, however, there are many places where people will do this job for free. I wouldn't say that you're going to easily find work as a newbie EMT. Also, the classes are incredibly long and costly (Many over 1500)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment