Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,779,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I always felt my nephew, an Aspy, would make an awesome building inspector. Everything by the book, no exceptions. And you couldn't bribe this guy with all the gold in the world.

Or a safety inspector, or auditor. He's studying accounting now and should do quite well at it.
At least for Auditors, if he's going into Public Auditing, he will have to interact with the management employees of his clients all the time.

Unfortunately, if you want to make a living and be successful in life, it is IMPOSSIBLE to NOT interact with people regularly, regardless of how much you hate it and regardless of how crappy other people are. Thhis is unless you're the CEO of a reasonably-sized business, where you don't have to answer to very many people and you can affod to hire other people to answer whatever you must answer for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:54 PM

32 posts, read 154,470 times
I am an aspie and I worked customer service for United Airlines for 19 years...I hated it, as I dont feel comfortable interacting with people and most of them were yelling at me for all of the airline problems...I then quit and worked 20 jobs over the next 6 years...Most of them for a week or less and I couldnt stand most of them for the same reason...I have worked as a courier the past year and it doesnt pay a lot but I enjoy working by myself...I just feel a lot more at ease when I am not around others...Good luck with whatever you try..

Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,863,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcckj View Post
I am an aspie and I worked customer service for United Airlines for 19 years...I hated it, as I dont feel comfortable interacting with people and most of them were yelling at me for all of the airline problems...I then quit and worked 20 jobs over the next 6 years...Most of them for a week or less and I couldnt stand most of them for the same reason...I have worked as a courier the past year and it doesnt pay a lot but I enjoy working by myself...I just feel a lot more at ease when I am not around others...Good luck with whatever you try..
You could try getting a job with UPS or FedEx. They pay their couriers VERY well.

You usually have to start out handling packages which sucks, but I have a friend whose father is a driver for UPS and he makes $70,000 a year.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:37 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,593,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I was wondering what suitable types of careers work well with those who suffer from Aspergers Syndrome?

I've worked in jobs that require a lot of social interaction, and I realize it's not my strongest point. I also know that a lot of careers that fit well with people who suffer from Aspergers are in IT (small companies, librarian) and other careers. I"m not the best when it comes to certain subjects, but I realize I'm proficient in reading and writing and I'm able to express myself well in terms of presentations or planning.

Dealing with this is tough, but I wanted to ask if anyone has any similar experiences with this, how about family members? What's the best way to be able to make a living with this type of problem?
Pls Take no offense here, but it sounds like you need to work on your problem (social interactions) and then you may find out there is work you can do out there , instead of trying to fit a so to speak , square peg into a round hole. I say this from experience myself. I used to have a eating disorder ( nervous when eating out in public with friends or strangers)until a women friend demanded I go out to dinner with her and her husband , I did and all they did was keep a conversation going all through the dinner so that I was answering their questions and now worrying who may have been looking at me . The same goes for some one in your situation , if you keep avoiding interacting with people you will never get over it , its all mental ( doctors told me long ago) . That was 30 yrs ago, now watch out ! if some one says dinners ready !, never would have though. practice makes perfect.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:21 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,779,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Pls Take no offense here, but it sounds like you need to work on your problem (social interactions) and then you may find out there is work you can do out there , instead of trying to fit a so to speak , square peg into a round hole. I say this from experience myself. I used to have a eating disorder ( nervous when eating out in public with friends or strangers)until a women friend demanded I go out to dinner with her and her husband , I did and all they did was keep a conversation going all through the dinner so that I was answering their questions and now worrying who may have been looking at me . The same goes for some one in your situation , if you keep avoiding interacting with people you will never get over it , its all mental ( doctors told me long ago) . That was 30 yrs ago, now watch out ! if some one says dinners ready !, never would have though. practice makes perfect.
Are you at all familiar with Asperger's Syndrome?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 AM

1,329 posts, read 835,674 times
An Asperger's person can learn social skills but they will always be delayed somewhat in terms of social interaction compared to their peers. I am 36 years old but in many parts of my life, I'm like a 16 year old kid- except my intellectual life, which is quite sophisticated.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 PM

20 posts, read 84,415 times
I am a nuclear engineer and I'm fairly certain that I and every other nuclear engineer in my office have at least some Asperger tendancies.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:03 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,319,556 times
I totally agree. Invisible disabilities get almost no supportive understanding not from the general public.....that has been my experience w/ my Son....who was diagnosed w/ ADHD, Tourettes.......and I actually believe misdiagnosed. He has always had all the classic Asperger symptoms, and I'm becoming more aware.
He is 28, and tries so hard to find a job...it is such a sad thing....I want to say to people........Please just give him a chance..............

I have to say that if my son's life is an example of those 85% unemployed. you folks I will say have got to be the strongest emotionally, more people should have that steadfastness. I love my Son so much....and like any Mom, if I could I would...anything.
It is a double edged sword a disability....I am not sure how other 20something males feel...but my Son doesn't want to play the disability card when applying. I have encouraged him too at times. Thinking at least he could get his foot in the door. He has too much pride, and has suffered alot as a young person, as well as in school. My Son went through his Senior yr...3 times, 2 different H.S. He was in supportive classrooms, on IEP's...
Do you know they wouldn't give him his diploma for lack of 1 credit....
Folks don't see a disability...they expect top performance.

My son put it this way once...trying to explain to me why he couldn't keep his job at a sandwich shop. He said, Mom...I am standing there and someone orders, and I'm trying to remember what goes on the sandwich...and I ask for help...by about the third time I ask...They look at me like........"You really don't get it" it is a look my son describes as "shame" If I do nothing else in this world...I want to help educate those of us that are mentally and physically able bodied, about those folks that have disabilities. Visible as well as invisible. Not just those folks w/ disabilities you can see, those folks have challenges....but people see and maybe they help, or understand and therefore somehow accommodate....but for people like my Son, 28 yrs old.....never has he held a job longer than a few mths.....Please give these folks a chance with a job....WE have sort of shot ourselves in the foot in the US....because I believe it is against policies to come out and ask whether someone has a disability....it has to be self-disclosed.
WE need a campaign in this country...to educate folks about this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
I have aspergers and I consider it a curse in alot of ways. In a bad economy and when you are dealing with warped-minded egotistical employers they can discriminate against you and you will have a tough time proving it in a lawsuit. "the stockboy job went to someone else" is all they have to say. It is an "invisible" disability, which means the person is totally normal but the impairment is still there. Having any kind of "invisible" disability is a kiss of death when it comes to finding a job because you are able-bodied, but still have an impairment that people can't see so you fall through the cracks.

IIRC, the unemployment rate for aspergers people hovers around 85%, and I believe that's even in a "good" economy.

It's not because of having it either.

Last edited by JanND; 05-13-2012 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-13-2012, 05:02 AM

315 posts, read 565,532 times
A friend of mine with Aspergers is studying Graphic Design, not saying that will not require social skills of course, but it is something to think about. He excels in it.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 PM

54 posts, read 166,552 times
Any career with high attention to detail, repetition, numbers. It is almost impossible to escape the people requirement - but maybe something like working as an accountant for yourself could be good. Trust me, I get it! Arghhhh- people!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment