Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
In my experience, work has been one of the most undignified things Ive ever done.

Me too. I am a professional, and yet, we are subject to "surveys" and other things sent out, that let customers just rate us. If someone was unreasonable, and the corp never knows this, you can get a bad survey. Instead of KNOWING that there are nutcases out there who will just give you a bad mark for the hell of it, they take every one seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 04:28 AM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
if work is dignity then i have none
Maybe this is the reason people who are unemployed day after day have nothing to excite them. They get depressed. They argue with their families due to frustration and low self esteem.

It's hard not to be angry or tired or worn out when the same jobs are online every day. The same 5 or 6 jobs in a big city and you can't do any of them. Or when there is NOTHING in your field and you keep applying anywhere in the country and no one calls.

Where is the dignity in wondering when the money runs out and knowing despite all the advice that there are NO survival jobs that will pay a living wage because everyone else is already scrapping for those jobs.

No, wait, there is is that hidden job market gold mine. If only I write the RIGHT letter or email to Mr. Big somewhere who may need my skills and maybe he will think I am the one BEFORE he puts the ad online that maybe I will get a foot in the door.

Maybe the sun will come out tomorrow--let's all sing. Annie is a good musical

Sorry just feeling snarky today knowing I will be the recipient of some angry attitude from the underemployed in my family. I can't wait till this ends because I am tired of it.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
There is dignity in having a purpose.

Regardless of what you do.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I agree with this. A person can have a big house, nice car, nice material possessions,etc. and have a sense of pride because they have those things. But when you really think about it, all of those things are dependant on someone employing you. If they go out of business or decide to lay you off you lose everything. It`s a house of cards,really. We think we are free. We are our own person. But the fact of the matter is, we really depend on others to take care of us. In a certain sense anyway. We need the job we have. We need someone to employ us. We need someone to pay us and give us medical benefits. They hold the cards. They let you go and you can lose everything. You would have no shelter, food, clothes,etc.

On the other hand, if you are a business owner, you need people to do the work for you. Without them, you would have nothing. But there are a lot more employees than employers. So I guess that puts employers in the driver seat.
You need alot of employees to run a decent size business.

It depends on the industry. I'm in the automotive industry as a technician and I can honestly tell you that as a technician the employeer needs you more then you need them since there's a few of us these days.

It takes me 2 days max to find a job as a technician.

And they put up with alot more from you as an employee then any other job because if you leave good luck finding another quality technician.

actually as a matter of fact I'm actually stuck at this job because I quit 4 jobs in the past year.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:13 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Me too. I am a professional, and yet, we are subject to "surveys" and other things sent out, that let customers just rate us. If someone was unreasonable, and the corp never knows this, you can get a bad survey. Instead of KNOWING that there are nutcases out there who will just give you a bad mark for the hell of it, they take every one seriously.

I wish a survey was all there was to put up with.

My issue is when someone who is a complete imbecile, is politicked in to positions of power, and then proceeds to talk down to you and treat you like a child.

I swear, I never felt more like a five year old until I entered the professional work arena.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think there is some conflation between dignity/working/supporting oneself and family. Of course if one has to work to take care of self and dependents, then it would be... undignified... not to be able to. Still don't think I'd use the word "dignity," more like "terrifying" if unable to pay the bills or take care of you and yours.
If you can do so without working, whether inherited, retired, lottery, then business is taken care of and I don't see a concept of dignity.
I think, again, the issue is with not taking care of self and others because of not working, and taking said care via welfare/charity.

I will feel a lot more dignified when I can walk out of my job and not work and still take care of self and critters and charitable causes, and not grind my teeth at taking bs from someone (largely shift supervisor, who is fortunately part-time and I only encounter that particular one about twice a week).
I do look at my job and realize I might have done some good in the years I've worked- which does matter to me, although I don't see it as a work requirement for everyone- and everything I've gotten has come because I've dug in and worked. I've put in my time and gotten my rewards for doing so, and have an old-fashioned pension to look forward to. I won't feel less dignified for collecting Social Security, either.
Having a purpose? I go to work to make a living. If/when that is no longer necessary, I expect to do nothing at all until I re-tool myself to being self-motivated rather than earning living motivated (although, like I said, I've always felt better if my earning a living does help the world in some way- just my preference).
People "contribute" in many ways in daily life. Treating counter help with courtesy. Waving at a stranger on the back road. Letting someone go across the intersection first. Sending a check to a cause that matters. Adopting a pet. Offering help to a frail senior in a parking lot although you know that person will refuse, it will make their day. Paying your bills. Saying thank you in whatever interactions.
I think, unless one is a total hermit, one "contributes" by living decently in the world (and total hermits are allowed to be, if they wish!)
I mean, how much "work" contributes to the world, in reality? Some does, some is neutral, some is negative.
I contribute to the planet by not having children (just didn't wanna, nothing noble, but it's good for the planet). Other people contribute by raising their children the best they can, which is good for everybody.
If employment were the only way to feel "contribution," I think most people would feel pretty lousy. If it's the only way to earn a living when you have to earn a living, not doing so would feel terrifying, if not just lousy.
Just me, not anyone else.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:54 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
Work give me dignity? NO. It honestly doesn't. It had made me LOSE ALOT of the dignity I once had. Ever since I graduated in 2009 and have worked a various amount of retail jobs and temporary jobs, with not one permanent offer because I lack "experience", I have lost a lot of dignity and self respect for myself.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Maybe this is the reason people who are unemployed day after day have nothing to excite them. They get depressed. They argue with their families due to frustration and low self esteem.

It's hard not to be angry or tired or worn out when the same jobs are online every day. The same 5 or 6 jobs in a big city and you can't do any of them. Or when there is NOTHING in your field and you keep applying anywhere in the country and no one calls.

Where is the dignity in wondering when the money runs out and knowing despite all the advice that there are NO survival jobs that will pay a living wage because everyone else is already scrapping for those jobs.

No, wait, there is is that hidden job market gold mine. If only I write the RIGHT letter or email to Mr. Big somewhere who may need my skills and maybe he will think I am the one BEFORE he puts the ad online that maybe I will get a foot in the door.

Maybe the sun will come out tomorrow--let's all sing. Annie is a good musical

Sorry just feeling snarky today knowing I will be the recipient of some angry attitude from the underemployed in my family. I can't wait till this ends because I am tired of it.
i feel you!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:41 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
No, but a six-pack of beer does.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
It use to give me dignity but that's been beat out of me by unappreciative employers. I still have a ton of pride in the quality and quanity of my work, but now it's just a means to an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment