Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,012,457 times

Advertisements

Actually, Ringo1, fighting back and going out with a bang should not be the goal. The goal via using an attorney is simply to buy time. Fighting back could well damage your shot at getting a new job with a differnt company. As distasteful as the situation is, its vital to not show that, nor to increase the messiness of the situation.

Handled correctly, given your past record, you should be able to gain like employment, minus the PTO per year of a long tenured employee. Handled incorrectly, a short term feel good reaction could be a long term loss for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 09:07 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,602,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Actually, Ringo1, fighting back and going out with a bang should not be the goal. The goal via using an attorney is simply to buy time. Fighting back could well damage your shot at getting a new job with a differnt company. As distasteful as the situation is, its vital to not show that, nor to increase the messiness of the situation.

Handled correctly, given your past record, you should be able to gain like employment, minus the PTO per year of a long tenured employee. Handled incorrectly, a short term feel good reaction could be a long term loss for you.
I respectfully disagree; well, it depends on the situation. First, unless you are filing a suit - which I am assuming you are not at this point - a little game-playing at this juncture is not out of the question and should not impact your ability to find another job.

They play and you can play - if you have the stomach and nerves for it. It need not get messy; keep your cool. Actually, you might end up saving your job if you play it right. The attorney can direct your actions behind the scenes. Why should you give up your tenure unless you have to IF your employer is violating the Americans with Disabilities Act??

Are there other departments within that company that you can be transferred to?

Hang tight OP; this too shall pass.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:35 AM

244 posts, read 253,520 times
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am learning a lot from all of you! I appreciate it! I have only worked for my employer for almost 4 years. (We get 4 weeks of vacation after 3 years.) As for declaring myself disabled, I don't really have any special accommodations to ask for. I come to work and do my job. I cannot think of any accommodations to ask for with a stroke. Does anyone have any ideas? Do you have to ask for special accommodations to deem yourself disabled. Ironically, I work for a law firm. There are 2 people who are still employed who took a lot of time off; one for a back problem (she had an operation) and one had bypass surgery. It doesn't SEEM like the company is against people who have health problems. The 2 new employees of the same title are assigned to work for other people already, so I don't think they are waiting for my particular job or hours. There are no transfer opportunities at this time since they recently filled 2 positions. Thanks again, people!

Last edited by SunnyChantal; 04-07-2012 at 09:53 AM..

Old 04-07-2012, 10:17 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,224,264 times
The company probably feels that you are liable to have another stroke. And they might be correct. They are probably making sure that if you do, your duties, etc. can be well handled by others. Bypass surgery and back surgery are usually one time only problems.

Then, the big question is.....if your duties can be handled by others, (as they were while you were out) then, why do they need you in the first place. Either that, or they want to be better prepared for the next time.

Some people view strokes as scary things. They are not as well understood as other disabilities. I think most managers/supervisors would do exactly as yours are doing.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,602,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The company probably feels that you are liable to have another stroke. And they might be correct. They are probably making sure that if you do, your duties, etc. can be well handled by others. Bypass surgery and back surgery are usually one time only problems.

Then, the big question is.....if your duties can be handled by others, (as they were while you were out) then, why do they need you in the first place. Either that, or they want to be better prepared for the next time.

Some people view strokes as scary things. They are not as well understood as other disabilities. I think most managers/supervisors would do exactly as yours are doing.
I don't think so.

But, OP, if you work in a small law firm - forget everything I said in my other posts. There are no other departments and I would be looking for an immediate exit.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:35 AM

244 posts, read 253,520 times
The stroke was very mild; no lasting damage. I don't even have to go to the neurologist anymore. Funny thing is the HR person in our office told me she also had a stroke when she was 25. I think my boss does not understand them though. She has asked me a lot of questions about what medications and supplements I take, etc. Why do they need anybody in the first place? We have people out who had a baby. Nobody is doing their job. Doesn't seem like the company is going to get rid of them. The problem is I don't know what my boss is thinking. My job HAS been slow the last couple of months, but that is a direct result of her putting me on special projects and I am not allowed to help anyone else. So people get more independent; who could blame them? One time awhile back she was talking about changing my hours possibly. I wonder if she is trying to find out my workflow for this. If they dump me out on the street, I am definitely going to sue them. They could have put ME in the positions they just filled if they want to discontinue mine. Of course this is all supposition because I don't know what is in her head. I never had problems on the job. I am not on probation, never been written up, always excellent reviews. It is very frustrating to me. However, I looked over my resume and it needs updating with new skills and software I learned on this job. I am not sure how it is going to be to find another one these days. When I got this job it was the height of the recession. My old company was bankrupt and closing and I got this job 2 weeks before that one ended, so I haven't experienced UI in a long time. Maybe things are better now. I hope so.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:40 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,168,365 times
If she is micromanaging you and watching you like a hawk, she does not trust you, and that is not a healthy working relationship ... Eventually it will take it's toll, and she will find something, even if it's a ridiculous something.

The best time to find a job is when you have a job. I wouldn't mention the stroke going forward. Not unless it is clearly obvious you suffer from after effects. For the time being, focus on your role, and perhaps somehow, plant seeds you feel as though you are being carefully watched for unwarranted reasons, and infact, that could easily be considered discriminating unless there is valid reasons ...

If you were close with her at one time, take the opportunity to have a chat with her about it. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,168,365 times
I'm not sure what state you are from, but there are laws to protect you in your position. If you can prove things have changed since the stroke, you may have a case in the event you get fired or let go ... Google your "state and discrimination workplace handicap" ... OR talk to an attorney - free consultation at most for 1st time visits. You want an employment attorney, it would fall under "Wrongful termination".

Old 04-07-2012, 11:13 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,224,264 times
You state... that if you lose your job, "I am going to sue them." Usually, people in that frame of mind manage to show their thoughts through facial expressions, body language, actual remarks.

And the business can't wait to get rid of them as soon as possible. If the business has to cut back, they will be the first to go.

Try to get people to believe that you LOVE working there, it's wonderful, wouldn't change it for anything, blah, blah, blah. Make them feel that it's great to have someone like you working there. If you can't do that, then leave.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:03 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,509,356 times
There has been some good advice on this post. Mainly, look for another job and keep good records. If you have good performance reviews, I would keep copies. Document everything that you feel is different, things that have been said, done,etc that were never done before. Document with dates and details.
But unlike some others on here, I would have a closed door meeting with my manager. Let her know how much you enjoy working there and working for her. Ask for a critique or review of your performance thus far. Document it. Something may come out of it that you haven`t thought of before. Ask her about the new hires and if they are expanding or growing. Just say, I noticed they hired two new girls. That`s great, we must be growing. It`s so nice to work for a company with job security in this economy.. Obviously depends on the relationship you have with your boss.
But if something was gnawing at me, I would definately confront it. Not in a confrontational way, but in a friendly round about way. You just have to find the right time and way of phrasing it. Something like this can fester and show, even when you think you are hiding your true feelings. Best to clear the air, at least in my opnion. You may come away with a sense that she is lying to you. On the other hand you may learn something you never considered.
But, with that said, we are all different, have different personalities and different relationships with our bosses. Just giving you my two pennies worth. It just seems that if you are at the point of looking for another job and wondering if you are going to get canned, the time has come to confront it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment