Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 AM

525 posts, read 1,557,399 times

Advertisements

Co-workers ignore me for the most part. As I watch other co-workers talk and exchange jokes with each other, I can't help feeling like an outcast. It has gotten to the point, Id start crying at work. People say I have to talk for them to talk to me. It doesn't work. It comes off one-sided with me doing the talking. I'm currently seeing a counselor. I tell myself to suck it up and just do my work until I leave. Its not working anymore. The job itself is stressful as it is and then the added stress of co-workers having their own little group of people to talk to makes it worse.

Finding another job is easier said than done. With the economy my partial deafness, and lack of college education, I'm limited at what I can do. Yeah, I could go back to school but that costs money which I don't have and I suck big time at studying and memorizing. I don't have the confidence to move on my own

I'm in a lot of debt which makes it worse so I feel like I can't quit my job and just put up with the way I get treated

Then when I see couples shopping around, it just makes everything worse bc I always desire to have a bf n my dating life sucks to a T. I cant force a guy to go out with me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 04:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,793,568 times
Katie, that's good news that you're finally seeking some help and going to counseling. Keep up with it. Counseling doesn't create overnight change in one's thinking processes and it takes a long time to start seeing results. If after a couple of months (and hopefully you're going as much as you need to go and keeping all the appointments) you don't find your counselor is helping you then try someone else. Not every shoe fits. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,227,104 times
I'm not sure if this is going to be helpful or not, but here goes...

I took the Myers-Briggs test with a counselor once, and he said in his 25 years of doing business, he had never seen anyone with scores as extreme as mine, revealing I was the most introverted person he had ever encountered. He was trying to help me in the workplace, because the majority of all people are extroverts and I would have severe clashes with co-workers if I didn't work on my people skills. In the past, I've had problems at work because in the end I didn't come off as a "team player," as I always avoided after-work social events. So, I've had to compromise some to ensure job security.

However, though I see the benefit of introverts learning some social skills (though personally, I still much prefer to spend long periods of time alone) I think extroverts can benefit by learning introversion skills. In your situation, I just could care less whether or not co-workers talk to me. I haven't made any friends at work, and it doesn't bother me at all. That's solely because I just don't care if co-workers talk to me or not. Also, my reserve keeps any personal issues or cannon fodder out of the workplace. Regardless, I use people skills when needed to try to balance out my extreme introversion.

I hope this makes sense, because I'm rushing now (have to leave for work in the next few minutes) but I think it might help you to learn from introverts so that this situation doesn't get to you.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,602,092 times
How long have you been on this job?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How long have you been on this job?
Over 10yrs. It has ALWAYS been like this since I've started working there. Didn't bother me until recently. Don't know why. Maybe it has to do with being stressed out at work, the fact its hard trying to have a social life outside of work when I'm working weekends n odd hours. I've even attempted suicide because of it.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,602,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
Over 10yrs. It has ALWAYS been like this since I've started working there. Didn't bother me until recently. Don't know why. Maybe it has to do with being stressed out at work, the fact its hard trying to have a social life outside of work when I'm working weekends n odd hours. I've even attempted suicide because of it.
I think you should go see a real psychiatrist. I am sure your company's medical insurance will cover that.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I think you should go see a real psychiatrist. I am sure your company's medical insurance will cover that.
only for a short period of time

Old 03-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
only for a short period of time
So what? Katie, you're making excuses again. Maybe you're now feeling much more sensitive about your job and your fellow workers because you've stopped drinking so heavily and are now viewing life in general from a base of reality instead of through the numbing fog of dependency. I was assuming this was a job you'd only had for a short time but 10 years? Ten years of alcohol dependency and no doubt your fellow workers tried for a long time to deal with you but eventually gave up. Are you going to AA meetings? If not then you really should be. You'll find a lot of support in such a group setting.

Nobody ever suggested to you that a miracle would happen if you decided to get yourself sorted out. Don't blow it all now you've made a start. You're no spring chicken and you've made many, many mistakes but it's never too late to effect changes if you have the guts and determination to want better for yourself.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So what? Katie, you're making excuses again. Maybe you're now feeling much more sensitive about your job and your fellow workers because you've stopped drinking so heavily and are now viewing life in general from a base of reality instead of through the numbing fog of dependency. I was assuming this was a job you'd only had for a short time but 10 years? Ten years of alcohol dependency and no doubt your fellow workers tried for a long time to deal with you but eventually gave up. Are you going to AA meetings? If not then you really should be. You'll find a lot of support in such a group setting.

Nobody ever suggested to you that a miracle would happen if you decided to get yourself sorted out. Don't blow it all now you've made a start. You're no spring chicken and you've made many, many mistakes but it's never too late to effect changes if you have the guts and determination to want better for yourself.

For the record I haven't really started drinking until the last few years and heavily every once in awhile. I haven't dranked a drop of booze in about a week.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
For the record I haven't really started drinking until the last few years and heavily every once in awhile. I haven't dranked a drop of booze in about a week.
And the last few years have been brilliant for you in every way, right? One week without a drop? It's a start. But you've proven time and time again that you can't keep that up on your own so take the next step and get into AA. Facing harsh reality with a clear brain isn't easy but thousands of others do it every day of every week of every year and so can you. Entirely up to you and how much you care about yourself and your future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment