Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 AM

39 posts, read 156,678 times

Advertisements

A residential facility, for severely emotionally disturbed youth, has been advertising for counselor positions...The ad has been running for months.

They only need people working the first shift and the swing shift. The facility is a locked psychiatry facility.

Has anyone worked in a such a facility? I am guessing that the turnover rate for staff is probably high because the want ad is running constantly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 PM

890 posts, read 2,787,808 times
Image a kid that finger paints with this feces, and you get to clean him up, and the walls.

And that's not even the harder parts.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:13 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,062,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
Image a kid that finger paints with this feces, and you get to clean him up, and the walls.

And that's not even the harder parts.
Why would a counselor clean up feces? There are janitors for that.

Regardless, the counselor would have to take a lot of emotional abuse, would need extremely thick skin, and be comfortable helping the kid who plays with his sh*t, or has schizophrenia. It would be a tough job.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,447,915 times
I haven't been in a youth section, but I've been in an adult one (as a healthcare worker..).

I think the biggest thing is appear comfortable and nonjudgmental, but always keep your head up, don't allow yourself to be cornered, have escape routes planned etc etc.

Tons of patience, a strong sense of humor, a sense of how your words/actions come across, and situational awareness would be highly beneficial..

Old 02-23-2012, 05:12 PM

831 posts, read 2,828,524 times
Do not take, there's a reason nobody wants the job.
I have experience with this type of work and I still have the scars on my body from the violence of the kids.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,884,655 times
Where I once worked in a locked geriatric site, a 90 y/o picked up his walker and beaned a CNA. She had a cut & mild concussion. How much more damage can a teen do?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 AM

890 posts, read 2,787,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Why would a counselor clean up feces? There are janitors for that.

Regardless, the counselor would have to take a lot of emotional abuse, would need extremely thick skin, and be comfortable helping the kid who plays with his sh*t, or has schizophrenia. It would be a tough job.
Perhaps there's janitorial services in larger facilities. But I did note "residential" facility was mentioned.

Let's say the finger painting happened 5:30 am just as you arrive in your morning shift.

Would you risk a state license inspector for a surprise visit with feces uncleaned waiting for janitorial services to arrive around 9AM?

And this particular bathroom where it happened are to be used by other client residence.

Are you sure it's only counselors they need, and not counselor / caretaker / cook / janitor / etc ?

And yeah, finger painting is just one of the mild things that can happen.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:56 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,945,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I have experience with this type of work and I still have the scars on my body from the violence of the kids.
Yes, that.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:54 AM

39 posts, read 156,678 times
Default Pay not given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
The ad for the youth counselor job states that the pay depends on experience...No specific dollar figures...Would it be correct to guess that the beginning pay will probably be $10/hour?

By the way, the ad does state that the employees get medical and 401k...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment