Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 AM

332 posts, read 529,586 times

Advertisements

I remember one of the most recent times I posted on here I talked about how interested I was with the sales position at the Bose store at my local mall. The manager I spoke to over the holidays at the store and kept in touch with only a few times to check the status of my application called me last Monday and said they're looking for other candidates but would keep my application on file. My most recent interview was last month at IKEA. I did a phone interview and one in the store after that, but received a rejection e-mail 2 weeks later. On Valentine's Day, I received a call from Wal-Mart for a part-time position, but there's like 7 different reasons I couldn't make it to the interview, mostly because I take public transportation and too far of a walk from where I have to get off. And yesterday, Home Depot called me for a seasonal position, but I mostly couldn't do it because public transportation would also be problematic combined with needing to be available for all shifts even though I am a college student.

Now working any shift may not be much of a problem because as of this point, I really need a job, and I just have to let my professor know ahead of time. That's what I'm thinking about doing now as far as my job search. But I want to work and live closer to my college since I'm also planning to move out of where I currently live which is 25-30 miles away from it. What I've read in one article is that the first 3 months of this year should be the best time of the year for hiring. I'm not sure though if it will get better for the other 9 months. Plus what I've kept hearing as far as the unemployment numbers going down and jobs added for the first time in a few years may actually be skewed as we do have to account the number of people who stopped looking for jobs as well.

What are your opinions on how the job market is as of this current day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:17 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,530,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
I remember one of the most recent times I posted on here I talked about how interested I was with the sales position at the Bose store at my local mall. The manager I spoke to over the holidays at the store and kept in touch with only a few times to check the status of my application called me last Monday and said they're looking for other candidates but would keep my application on file. My most recent interview was last month at IKEA. I did a phone interview and one in the store after that, but received a rejection e-mail 2 weeks later. On Valentine's Day, I received a call from Wal-Mart for a part-time position, but there's like 7 different reasons I couldn't make it to the interview, mostly because I take public transportation and too far of a walk from where I have to get off. And yesterday, Home Depot called me for a seasonal position, but I mostly couldn't do it because public transportation would also be problematic combined with needing to be available for all shifts even though I am a college student.

Now working any shift may not be much of a problem because as of this point, I really need a job, and I just have to let my professor know ahead of time. That's what I'm thinking about doing now as far as my job search. But I want to work and live closer to my college since I'm also planning to move out of where I currently live which is 25-30 miles away from it. What I've read in one article is that the first 3 months of this year should be the best time of the year for hiring. I'm not sure though if it will get better for the other 9 months. Plus what I've kept hearing as far as the unemployment numbers going down and jobs added for the first time in a few years may actually be skewed as we do have to account the number of people who stopped looking for jobs as well.

What are your opinions on how the job market is as of this current day?
In your case, you should investigate rental cars ahead of time. And plan to get a rental car in order to get to an interview, rather than turn down the interview because you take public transportation.

Many rental car companies will pick you up at home and take you to the rental agency to get the car and fill out paperwork. They will bring you home as well.

If you don't drive, then you take a cab if you have to.

Don't let public transportation dictate whether you can make it to an interview. IMO, you should have gone to the HD interview and once you got the offer, THEN give them your available working hours. HD has a form you fill out where you put the hours you are available to work. the more hours you put,the happier they are. But many folks have set hours they can work due to school, kids, other jobs, etc and that is ok with HD.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
In your case, you should investigate rental cars ahead of time. And plan to get a rental car in order to get to an interview, rather than turn down the interview because you take public transportation.

Many rental car companies will pick you up at home and take you to the rental agency to get the car and fill out paperwork. They will bring you home as well.

Don't let public transportation dictate whether you can make it to an interview. IMO, you should have gone to the HD interview and once you got the offer, THEN give them your available working hours. HD has a form you fill out where you put the hours you are available to work. the more hours you put,the happier they are. But many folks have set hours they can work due to school, kids, other jobs, etc and that is ok with HD.
I sure never knew that about HD regarding work hours. I'll keep a tab on that when the next HD store contacts me through their national recruiting hotline. I'm actually gonna try that with every store I decide to apply to since I hate this place I'm at now, and before planning to do this, I just needed someone's opinion. Thanks a lot for that.

Being that we keep hearing how much the situation improved in record numbers as far as the economy, as of today's date I'm still unsure of whether a few major slip-ups would send us right back into recession. I remember I made a thread about this year's job situation over the holidays last year. I'm just curious to see if anybody believes those numbers or if the data is really skewed, and that by failing to account for those who quit job searching, if things are not really as good as has been advertised. What do you guys think?

Last edited by michael212; 02-16-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,491,960 times
I guess it depends on where you are, and the kind of work. Amazon here in Seattle has just announced plans for 3 more new buildings, 17 million square feet. That's a lot of construction jobs, before they start hiring more people to work there.

In addition, today the Mayor announced a proposal to develop a new arena for NBA/NHL teams, and the developer will start demolishing the old warehouses on the site in the next week even before it gets approved.

There are now record numbers of temps being hired in offices, as work picks up but employers are hesitant to make permanent hires just yet. When a few big employers bring in a lot of people, those working in retail and restaurants benefit because there is more money being spent in the area.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,681,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

What would be the point of renting a car to get to a job interview when you have to rely on public transportation to get back and forth once you get the job?

The OP doesn't have a car so he needs a job he can walk to or that public transportation can get him close enough to and walk the rest of the way.

Cabs are expensive, these are minimum wage jobs. What's the point of working if most of it is going to cab fare?

The only logical reason to rent a car was if for some reason the interview was at a remote location but the actual job was on his bus/train route or within walking distance.

If someone doesn't own a car then yes they have to let public transportation dictate where they work, shop, etc.

Kind of silly to go to a job interview to a location that you know is physically impossible for you to get there on a regular basis when you don't own a car.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What would be the point of renting a car to get to a job interview when you have to rely on public transportation to get back and forth once you get the job?

The OP doesn't have a car so he needs a job he can walk to or that public transportation can get him close enough to and walk the rest of the way.

Cabs are expensive, these are minimum wage jobs. What's the point of working if most of it is going to cab fare?

The only logical reason to rent a car was if for some reason the interview was at a remote location but the actual job was on his bus/train route or within walking distance.

If someone doesn't own a car then yes they have to let public transportation dictate where they work, shop, etc.

Kind of silly to go to a job interview to a location that you know is physically impossible for you to get there on a regular basis when you don't own a car.
I'm still gonna try using the cab. Why? Because prices are the cheapest depending on how local they are, especially if it's in the same city or town. Depending on when the employers need me and what time the buses or trains run, that's when public transportation comes into play most likely. I'd only use the cab if public transportation becomes a problem once my shift ends.

Saves money so I could get me a used car, and it won't be too long. For after I pass my road test which I will have to reschedule before March 6th to gain more practice, I'm gonna start driving to where I need to go. So I'm also speaking as if I was currently working, not just the interview itself. While not being close to public transportation may cost me more per month to get to work as well as distance-wise, I realize now it does not change the fact that I still need to take more opportunities to apply to any position that I qualify for, especially if it's for a good amount of money. I'm not making that mistake again of limiting myself as of this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment