Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,762,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
I was just talking to my husband about this. In his field they want the purchasing person to do shipping AND inventory now in many of the ads.

If you want to be an administrative assistant, many ads expect you to also do payroll AND accounts payable and receptionist...

However bad, though, I think it will improve. People HAVE to retire eventually. The population is shrinking. New jobs are developed every day. Many jobs do not exist that will in the future. We have to hope to ride it out.
For purchasing, that's going to become extremely commonplace. I do parts/purchasing/inventory/shipping and receiving as well as facilities management (cleaning, shopping for supplies etc), and parts research/data entry and accounting for 3 different facilities. Just me. In a similar sized business they would have at least 4 people doing what I do. And not too long ago my boss told me I should be thanking him because he coul hire someone on at half my pay to do my job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 02:52 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,873,836 times
This will be going on as long as there are people out there willing to do twice the work for half the pay. It's pretty easy for employers to power play unemployed people right now. Once things pick up, people are going to be leaving their triple jobs in droves to get something easier or better paying.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:08 PM

8,225 posts, read 12,983,738 times
I've noticed additional job duties for less pay in many advertisements. It is probably not going to work out too well for employers in the long run. If you expect someone to do the job of three/four people correctly you have unreasonably high expectations.

I can't help but think there will be errors and omissions in possibly critical job functions. In some instances a business manager or owner may not even realize there is a problem until it cost thousands of dollars.

Employers can believe everything is done correctly if they wish, it is going to come back and haunt them later. They can expect people to do three or four jobs but when there is a failure they should know the person in the mirror is solely responsible.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:49 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,784,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
I was just talking to my husband about this. In his field they want the purchasing person to do shipping AND inventory now in many of the ads.

If you want to be an administrative assistant, many ads expect you to also do payroll AND accounts payable and receptionist...

However bad, though, I think it will improve. People HAVE to retire eventually. The population is shrinking. New jobs are developed every day. Many jobs do not exist that will in the future. We have to hope to ride it out.

I don't see a problem. If you were self-employed you would be doing all of that and MORE. At some point your time becomes more valuable than the task and you hire someone to help out so you can spend your time on your core business.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,420,095 times
I've been saying this for awhile. Many marketing jobs I see posted also want you to be able to do graphic and web design as well. Use to be that you wrote and managed the project but handed the visual graphics to another and sometimes the printing to another.

Now they want someone to do it all and be proficient in a number of design programs

Old 01-20-2012, 11:25 AM

370 posts, read 1,370,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I don't see a problem. If you were self-employed you would be doing all of that and MORE. At some point your time becomes more valuable than the task and you hire someone to help out so you can spend your time on your core business.
The problem is maybe one person CANNOT do the physical work of 2-3 people. If you are multi-talented, great, it makes you more marketable. The problem comes when the BOSS expects you to do all three FULL time. How can one guy do the job of 3?

My husband's boss replies, "I don't care. No excuses. Just get it done."

Meanwhile his coworker literally does nothing all day and the boss KNOWS this and comments on it all the time yet nothing changes..

Old 01-20-2012, 01:21 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,261,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post

Payroll is a pretty critical function along with properly handling accounts payable.

We are talking your small to average sized business with 1mil - 10mil revenues, I would want a real professional doing this, not seeking to hire a secretary to mess it up.

Payroll mistakes can cause huge problems....

IRS Penalties and fines for missed deposits
Employee's get wrong accruals for time off etc, wrong amounts paid
Easy area for fraud to occur as well, so you want an experienced person

Payable mistakes?

Not having enough controls on receiving and double paying sometimes
Risk of fraud
Identifying and spotting errors / spotting opportunities for discounts

Most businesses need real experienced people to do this.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:54 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,317,202 times
You see a lot of this in the mental health field which seems to be a sign of the times.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,074,475 times
The cost of Headcount related benefits, mainly Health Care, have exploded, making the reduction of headcount per entity a logical reaction. The reality is, with 14 million unemployed, the business will find someone capable of all of the tasks at a reasonable level, more than happy to do it at the 2012 going pay rate.

Attempting to cling to the bloated headcounts of the decades past, when managers thought having more people increased their stature, are fruitless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment