Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,780,895 times

Advertisements

[quote=JetJockey;22617001]And you don't understand the aviation business. She has nothing to do with my customers, we're in an entirely different building. And you can hire any cute little blonde twit off the street to be a CSR. Trust me, we do it all the time.

Do you really think a 19 year old with no education is worth more than our supervisor who has 25 years of advanced jet maintenance skills, multiple certifications and an engineering degree? And you can't just 'get trained' to be an aircraft mechanic, it takes a minimum of 2 years of schooling before you're even allowed to sit for the test.

I absolutely think our mechanics are worth more than a girl who can smile and make coffee.[/QUOTE]

You are describing a receptionist and not a CSR. A legitimate CSR is the person that handles problems with your customers and gets them to the right person to fix their issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 12:00 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,328,656 times
Don't get me started on nepotism. Please. Do. Not. Get. Me. Started.

Put it to you this way: I like working for myself, but if I ever worked for someone else again, I'd avoid "family owned" or "family operated" small- to mid-sized businesses like the plague. I've had two bad experiences with it. In the first, anyone who was not family was made to feel quite acutely that they were merely hired help. In the second, the CEO put his sister in a job she wasn't remotely qualified for, and his own daughter, her niece, couldn't stand working for her. Yet there the dingbat remains, having gone through two more employees in the two years since I quit.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:16 PM

30 posts, read 46,259 times
Favouritism is part of life, people, get over it. lol..

Old 01-20-2012, 07:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,754,910 times
[quote=kevinm;22630913]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And you don't understand the aviation business. She has nothing to do with my customers, we're in an entirely different building. And you can hire any cute little blonde twit off the street to be a CSR. Trust me, we do it all the time.

Do you really think a 19 year old with no education is worth more than our supervisor who has 25 years of advanced jet maintenance skills, multiple certifications and an engineering degree? And you can't just 'get trained' to be an aircraft mechanic, it takes a minimum of 2 years of schooling before you're even allowed to sit for the test.

I absolutely think our mechanics are worth more than a girl who can smile and make coffee.[/QUOTE]

You are describing a receptionist and not a CSR. A legitimate CSR is the person that handles problems with your customers and gets them to the right person to fix their issue.

I've always thought they were exaggerated receptionists. They call out fuel orders, make coffee and that's about it. Our company calls them CSRs but in reality, all the customer related stuff is dealt with by other people.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,718 times
Nepotism, open or otherwise, is problem in the corporate world that will not go away. Over the years I have seen numerous cases of relatives and in-laws of senior management in major companies hired and promoted without merit.

This practice leads to considerable damage, especially if it is not acknowledged. But that damage may not be apparent for years. And it never, ever works out well for those involved and for the organization at large.

Last edited by GeorgeMartin50; 01-21-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Don't get me started on nepotism. Please. Do. Not. Get. Me. Started.

Put it to you this way: I like working for myself, but if I ever worked for someone else again, I'd avoid "family owned" or "family operated" small- to mid-sized businesses like the plague. I've had two bad experiences with it. In the first, anyone who was not family was made to feel quite acutely that they were merely hired help. In the second, the CEO put his sister in a job she wasn't remotely qualified for, and his own daughter, her niece, couldn't stand working for her. Yet there the dingbat remains, having gone through two more employees in the two years since I quit.
I am the monarch of the sea,
The ruler of the Queen's Navee,
Whose praise Great Britain loudly chants.

Chorus: And we are his sisters, and his cousins and his aunts!

"Sir Joseph Porter's Song" from H. M. S. Pinafore, by Gilbert and Sullivan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment