Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:04 PM

433 posts, read 1,369,931 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. In case you're all wondering, yes, I do still work at the dollar store. Remember that thread I made a while ago about how my cash register was missing $100? Well it turns out the change floats weren't counted properly, $60 was found and I was really missing $40. The boss had a word with me and said I have to count the change I give out better and make sure customers aren't successfully tricking me in their ways so they get more change. I then signed a paper for the missing $40.

Now today at the end of my shift, there was $80 missing and the change floats were counted properly (or so I was told, boss wasn't there). If he doesn't find the $80 tomorrow, will I be fired? Can I offer to pay up the missing cash? A girl was fired just last week because she apparently had a short of $140 in her register. I don't know how often she had shortages though, but mine are once in a while.

I know this is bad, but I had a shortage of $20 during yesterday's shift too. That's 2 days of shortages in a row, and the boss made no mention of the $20 when we saw each other today. Do you think I'll get another warning for the 80 and sign another paper, or do you think he'd let me go this time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
This doesn't answer your question.... but what do you feel is the actual reason for the shortage?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This doesn't answer your question.... but what do you feel is the actual reason for the shortage?
I was going to mention this but I forgot. I really do not understand. I'm always checking that I give the right change, and then this happens. It just doesn't make sense to me. Could there be any other reasons?? What else besides me or someone else taking over when I'm on break?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:17 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Who knows what your manager will do - personally, I think he should have discussed the $20 shortage with you. I've been a cashier and I've been a retail manager and I would have fired you before you had three cash shortages over $1.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
I was going to mention this but I forgot. I really do not understand. I'm always checking that I give the right change, and then this happens. It just doesn't make sense to me. Could there be any other reasons?? What else besides me or someone else taking over when I'm on break?
A huge shortage like that isn't just making a few mistakes making change. I hate to say it, but I think someone's stealing from your register. Assuming it isn't you, there are a few possibilities -- anyone who takes over when you're on break and thinks they can steal and leave you to take the blame. Whoever is doing the counting. And whoever sets up the drawers -- it's not impossible for the drawer to have been short at the start of your shift, if you didn't count it.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
A huge shortage like that isn't just making a few mistakes making change. I hate to say it, but I think someone's stealing from your register. Assuming it isn't you, there are a few possibilities -- anyone who takes over when you're on break and thinks they can steal and leave you to take the blame. Whoever is doing the counting. And whoever sets up the drawers -- it's not impossible for the drawer to have been short at the start of your shift, if you didn't count it.
Do you think it's possible that there really aren't any security cameras in the store? The boss and assistant manager have made mentions of cameras in the store, but there's no backroom in the store with tv's that show the areas or anything? Maybe they're outside, like at the head office or something? Do you think they just mention cameras to scare people or something?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Cool well...

how many hands are in your drawer? Do you share the till? Do you lock it when you step away? To many variables to know for sure. Will your boss fire you? Probably...you keep having large cash discrepencies...not a good thing.
Koale

Old 01-07-2012, 07:07 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
If they fire anyone, they should fire whomever had access to that drawer that day. OP, whoever relieved her, whoever set up the drawer. All gone. They can't pin the shortage on you if two or three other people had their hands in that till.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:09 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
When someone relieves you, do they use your register, or do you have total control at all times during your shift? And, are you the one that counts your drawer in, when you start, and the one that counts it out at end of shift??

If not, who does?? Just another random employee? I would do my best to ask for a chance, a couple of days where you are start to finish the only one handling your cash drawer. There could very well be someone else taking cash, knowing you new folks will get blamed.

I was going to help at our stadium for games, but quit after one weekend, because not only wasn't I the one that counted in, they insisted that you sign a blank form at the beginning of your shift, in case of shortages.
And, you had no control over what was pulled from your drawer during night, and at closing. I did not like that, I did not want to be responsible for others errors.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:14 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Quote:
Hey everyone. In case you're all wondering, yes, I do still work at the dollar store. Remember that thread I made a while ago about how my cash register was missing $100? Well it turns out the change floats weren't counted properly, $60 was found and I was really missing $40. The boss had a word with me and said I have to count the change I give out better and make sure customers aren't successfully tricking me in their ways so they get more change. I then signed a paper for the missing $40.

Now today at the end of my shift, there was $80 missing and the change floats were counted properly (or so I was told, boss wasn't there). If he doesn't find the $80 tomorrow, will I be fired? Can I offer to pay up the missing cash? A girl was fired just last week because she apparently had a short of $140 in her register. I don't know how often she had shortages though, but mine are once in a while.

I know this is bad, but I had a shortage of $20 during yesterday's shift too. That's 2 days of shortages in a row, and the boss made no mention of the $20 when we saw each other today. Do you think I'll get another warning for the 80 and sign another paper, or do you think he'd let me go this time?
I wonder if someone is trying to get you fired? Maybe a coworker, maybe even a boss (so they can put someone else in your place)?
Those questions are rather "out there", but there are all kinds of devious people in the workplace. You never know.

Best of luck to you, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment