Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:59 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,924,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronderg View Post
Because the work area is a open space, boss doesn't have his own office. If just going directly to him, it's probably embarrassing with such sensitive topic because everybody else could hear it. They usually talk personal stuff in a coffee shop. So my husband organized his thoughts and reasons and wrote a nice letter to his boss. The boss came in and out there, just had no words with him until the second email from my husband.

He is planning to be a contractor again as the situation before this job. He accepted this job because that is his dream company and he could learn and grow and also of course the stability. He tried to get along with everybody and enjoyed it. The only issues are the salary lies and ignorance of raise request.

Anyways, thanks a lot everybody. We need to suck it up and get over it. Life is still good
I remember i sent an email to my boss about getting a raise and he responded promptly. The office was an open space office and my boss also did not have a cubicle. Everyone is noisy and loves to gossip so the email was a better way to set-up a meeting and get feedback.

Your hubby should have sent the email only and waited for a response. I believe the letter was too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 AM

23 posts, read 42,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Hell no, you don't suck it up and get over it. You change yourself to do things better.

No matter how much you think you have contributed to the company, you aren't doing jack squat if you don't do what your supervisor wants to do. There's a whole lot more to be said in this area. Working hard means nothing (sometimes worse than nothing) if you don't work right!!!

Just by your husband sending a letter rather than having a private conversation, I can tell that he has no idea how to work. Do you think someone who has no idea how to work deserves a raise? We don't discuss these over emails in the corporate world.

A much better approach is, every month, he should sit down with his supervisor and ask him/her "how do I perform so far or how do I measure in terms my performance? Do I meet or exceed your expectation? What do I need to focus more on? What do you see is the priority? What do I need to do to get to the next level?" If the supervisor doesn't know how to lay out performance metrics, you do it and show them to him/her.

This way both your husband and his supervisor would know exactly what to expect. If he consistently exceeds the expectation from his supervisor, he doesn't need to ASK for raise.
Yes, he DOES need to ASK a raise because he works hard and works RIGHT! He earned compliments and reputations from his co-workers and exceeded the expectations from their clients. The supervisor lies about everybody else's salary is in the 30k instead of 40k to make my husband accept 36k first time. He is the only one to be scheduled work over 40 hours every week. He is the one also have to finish somebody's work when they are sick for a week. He is the expert in his skills which boss and supervisor has no excuse to deny.

Somebody is good at marketing himself and sit down with his supervisor and ask him/her all kinds of questions every month. Somebody is good at talking, somebody is good at writing. If you don't write a letter, doesn't mean it is not a way to do it. Maybe you have good skills at how to work out with your boss and supervisor, it doesn't mean you know how to do your own job because probably you put too much thoughts to get a raise.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Klato View Post
I remember i sent an email to my boss about getting a raise and he responded promptly. The office was an open space office and my boss also did not have a cubicle. Everyone is noisy and loves to gossip so the email was a better way to set-up a meeting and get feedback.

Your hubby should have sent the email only and waited for a response. I believe the letter was too much.
Thank you! This sounds much nicer although I don't see there is anything wrong about giving a letter because this is from another boss's suggestion.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
I still think that's an excuse. There's no reason the husband couldn't go to the boss and say, "I'd like to talk privately. Do you want to get coffee?" If needed, mention it's about salary issues and not discuss details until in a private area. Leaving a letter and then following up with an e-mail and then actually asking to talk is odd.
Did you get it? Email wasn't in the plan. After a week to be ignored, he had to get a response by different way. Actually he wanted to give the boss more time to think through instead of confront his face. I don't understand why the one who is more considerate to others is getting more and more critics here.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:31 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,924,754 times
Quote:
Thank you! This sounds much nicer although I don't see there is anything wrong about giving a letter because this is from another boss's suggestion.
A letter can't be lost or ignored. There is no way of knowing that he received, read or acknowledge the letter.

An email is more direct and fast.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Klato View Post
A letter can't be lost or ignored. There is no way of knowing that he received, read or acknowledge the letter.

An email is more direct and fast.
Obviously letter was not lost. But if it was ignored then the boss just wanted to ignore the employee as well.

I realized that asking for a raise is marketing skill, my husband probably is not so skillful as others. Asking more money always makes him a little "guilty" even he deserves it long time ago. But the main point is not the skill now, it is about appreciation from his superiors. Maybe they don't know, maybe they don't care, maybe they take it for granted. Whatever the economy is, losing him will be their loss, not ours.

Well, we will be boss soon. And if our employee gives us a nice letter to ask for a raise instead of confronting. We would appreciate it and respond quickly because we need to understand either side to make progress for our company's future.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,603,539 times
Quote:
Yes, he DOES need to ASK a raise because he works hard and works RIGHT! He earned compliments and reputations from his co-workers and exceeded the expectations from their clients. The supervisor lies about everybody else's salary is in the 30k instead of 40k to make my husband accept 36k first time. He is the only one to be scheduled work over 40 hours every week. He is the one also have to finish somebody's work when they are sick for a week. He is the expert in his skills which boss and supervisor has no excuse to deny.

Somebody is good at marketing himself and sit down with his supervisor and ask him/her all kinds of questions every month. Somebody is good at talking, somebody is good at writing. If you don't write a letter, doesn't mean it is not a way to do it. Maybe you have good skills at how to work out with your boss and supervisor, it doesn't mean you know how to do your own job because probably you put too much thoughts to get a raise.
Maybe it's something that you don't want to hear but I have been in his shoes. After I made adjustment to myself, I got raises after raises and promotions after promotions.

Look at your own wordings "he earned compliments and reputations from his co-workers and exceeded the expectations from their clients." I am sorry to tell you that opinions from coworkers and clients mean very little. It is the supervisor's opinion that counts. In your own words, I already know that he does NOT know how to work right. If you said "he earned compliments from his supervisor and exceeded his supervisor's expectation", I would wholeheartedly agree with that he deserves a raise. At this point, I am sorry, I don't think so.

As a supervisor myself (been many many years), we don't talk about people's salary. If $36k was what he accepted, then he must think that's a acceptable number, regardless how other people are being paid. Besides, part of my job is to look out for the company, if I can get a talent at lower cost to the company, I have done my job right. It's called negotiation, not lie. If you accept the offer, then you agree to the fact that you think you are worth that much. Simple as that.

By the end of the day, it's not about coworkers, clients or even the company, it is about his supervisor. Whatever his view/opinion is, that's what matters.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 11-18-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 12:31 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,603,539 times
Quote:
Did you get it? Email wasn't in the plan. After a week to be ignored, he had to get a response by different way. Actually he wanted to give the boss more time to think through instead of confront his face. I don't understand why the one who is more considerate to others is getting more and more critics here.
Your husband really doesn't know how to work. :-( Sorry to say that.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's something that you don't want to hear but I have been in his shoes. After I made adjustment to myself, I got raises after raises and promotions after promotions.

Look at your own wordings "he earned compliments and reputations from his co-workers and exceeded the expectations from their clients." I am sorry to tell you that opinions from coworkers and clients mean very little. It is the supervisor's opinion that counts. In your own words, I already know that he does NOT know how to work right. If you said "he earned compliments from his supervisor and exceeded his supervisor's expectation", I would wholeheartedly agree with that he deserves a raise. At this point, I am sorry, I don't think so.

As a supervisor myself (been many many years), we don't talk about people's salary. If $36k was what he accepted, then he must think that's a acceptable number, regardless how other people are being paid. Besides, part of my job is to look out for the company, if I can get a talent at lower cost to the company, I have done my job right. It's called negotiation, not lie. If you accept the offer, then you agree to the fact that you think you are worth that much. Simple as that.

By the end of the day, it's not about coworkers, clients or even the company, it is about his supervisor. Whatever his view/opinion is, that's what matters.
Well, good to hear and no wonder why you say like that.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Your husband really doesn't know how to work. :-( Sorry to say that.
No sorry. Luckily you are not his supervisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment